ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

The free exhaust mod

So me and my friends were bored this weekend and we decided to remove my mufflers to see how the car sounds. I figured it wouldnt take long to take them off/on. As it only took 15 min per muffler. When i went to start her up OMG The car barked on cold start. The idle is much deeper and low RPMs are much louder. The best part ZERO RASP OR RICEY SOUND

I went for a drive and noticed it wasnt bad at all. It does resonate in the cabin at high gears/lower speeds but all exhaust do (All you have to do is keep it in optimum gear and not go WOT in a higher gear)

I decided ill only take off one muffler and put the other one back on. The Idle now is barly noticable and the car has such a sweet rumble to it. Yes it looks getto and im having my guy weild tips on the side without muffler and put new ones on the side with the muffler. My friend took a vid and im waiting for it to be fully uploaded on youtube so ill post it here.

DID I MENTION IT WAS FREE
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
ShelbyMcoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 07 Shelby GT500

A few months ago i did the same, kept them off for like a month. but i felt at like 2k-4k rpms it sounded ricer as hell. plus so much power loss down low. but it is fun to try, especially since it is free.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMazing07 View Post
So me and my friends were bored this weekend and we decided to remove my mufflers to see how the car sounds. I figured it wouldnt take long to take them off/on. As it only took 15 min per muffler. When i went to start her up OMG The car barked on cold start. The idle is much deeper and low RPMs are much louder. The best part ZERO RASP OR RICEY SOUND

I went for a drive and noticed it wasnt bad at all. It does resonate in the cabin at high gears/lower speeds but all exhaust do (All you have to do is keep it in optimum gear and not go WOT in a higher gear)

I decided ill only take off one muffler and put the other one back on. The Idle now is barly noticable and the car has such a sweet rumble to it. Yes it looks getto and im having my guy weild tips on the side without muffler and put new ones on the side with the muffler. My friend took a vid and im waiting for it to be fully uploaded on youtube so ill post it here.

DID I MENTION IT WAS FREE
You do realize you're losing horsepower and torque without the mufflers, right? So I wouldn't call this mod free - since something does get lost in the process.

When I had my Eisenmann mufflers installed, after we un-mounted the stock mufflers, we fired up the engine and took a drive around the block. The car was LOUD. I personally found it so loud that it's unbearable, and there definitely was drone. But hey if you like the sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

we need videos; NOW!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
You do realize you're losing horsepower and torque without the mufflers, right? So I wouldn't call this mod free - since something does get lost in the process.

When I had my Eisenmann mufflers installed, after we un-mounted the stock mufflers, we fired up the engine and took a drive around the block. The car was LOUD. I personally found it so loud that it's unbearable, and there definitely was drone. But hey if you like the sound.
i know. Its deffinatly a noticable loss of power too. I like the noise it makes. But its just a temporary exhaust mod. Eventually i will get one of the many exhausts popping up on this forum.
Appreciate 0