E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Fumoto drain valves - what setup works?

05-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Fumoto drain valves - what setup works?

This had been briefly discussed before. From the information found here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1370941&page=2, it seems that the F109 or F109SX is best for our cars, whichever has the shortest nipple to avoid the undertray and road hazards. Furthermore, according to the Fumoto website, an adapter may be required.

I want to try and gather all the facts, I know a lot of people swear by these valves and I can see why.

For those who have a Fumoto valve, did you need an adapter? Can anyone confirm that an F109SX fits? Is there any "plug and play" setup with these valves that will not be impacted by the tight clearances, and does not require any trimming?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomiri View Post

For those who have a Fumoto valve, did you need an adapter?
If you get the BMW specific one, you will not need an adapter. I did not need one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
If you get the BMW specific one, you will not need an adapter. I did not need one.
Thanks. Do you see any reason why the standard F109 wouldn't work? Looking at the drain setup, it seems like it would be the best for draining and decent clearance too. F109SX is my second choice, but if the clearance is that tight, the SX may be the better option, if I coupled with a hose.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

F109 is available in BMW thread dia. and pitch. Just get the right one and you will have no problem. I originally got a F109S, but have since chopped the nipple effectively making it a F109. I like the concept of F109SX if it is in fact shorter, but there are no specs for that I could find. Perhaps be a great idea to ping them and see what they provide. IMHO, the shorter the better.
Appreciate 1
jomiri6.50
      05-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
F109 is available in BMW thread dia. and pitch. Just get the right one and you will have no problem. I originally got a F109S, but have since chopped the nipple effectively making it a F109. I like the concept of F109SX if it is in fact shorter, but there are no specs for that I could find. Perhaps be a great idea to ping them and see what they provide. IMHO, the shorter the better.
I ended up contacting them and they just got back to me with the following:

---

Hello Josh,

Thank you for inquiring about your 2011 BMW 335D. The SX series is engineered to rotate 360 degrees, therefore you should be able to tilt the valve downward. The SX valve also has a short nipple where you can attached a nipple, either the SH-10 or the L-001 both of these parts are detachable and should give you some moving space, I would recommend you look into these parts because you will be able to attached a short hose. With this kit I do believe you should be able to clear that little doorway. If you can send some pictures, we would like to see what your working with.
Please let me know how these options may work for you.

Best Regards,

George

---

Looks like I'll be going for the SX then! I'll be sure to report back.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomiri View Post
I ended up contacting them and they just got back to me with the following:

---

Hello Josh,

Thank you for inquiring about your 2011 BMW 335D. The SX series is engineered to rotate 360 degrees, therefore you should be able to tilt the valve downward. The SX valve also has a short nipple where you can attached a nipple, either the SH-10 or the L-001 both of these parts are detachable and should give you some moving space, I would recommend you look into these parts because you will be able to attached a short hose. With this kit I do believe you should be able to clear that little doorway. If you can send some pictures, we would like to see what your working with.
Please let me know how these options may work for you.

Best Regards,

George

---

Looks like I'll be going for the SX then! I'll be sure to report back.
Did you get it? How is it?
      05-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost View Post
Did you get it? How is it?
Going to be a few weeks. Not due for a change for a while, but the moment I do change the oil, I'll be sure to report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Wanted to post an update to this. I have the F109SX valve and attempted to fit it during my last oil change. It ended up shearing under light torque (less than the 15 lb ft recommended). Looked at the bolt and it was very weak construction, it was hollow and would shear for anyone. Luckily the pan is fine, there wasn't enough torque to do any damage whatsoever. I'm going to recommend not purchasing the valve off eBay.

As far as the clearance, it looked like it would fit without trimming or other mods, but a hose will be necessary. The valve drains horizontally, and although you can aim it wherever you want, the clearance is pretty tight, and it would be safest to have a tube attached. Shutting the oil pan door may result in the top of the bolt resting against it and the plastic flexing slightly, but I wasn't able to fully seat it before it sheared.

I contacted the eBay seller and hopefully will have a replacement soon.

As of now, I'd recommend the F109. It appears to be relatively short and will likely be stronger than the F109SX. From the pictures, it looks like the F109SX bolt may just be designed weak. I may have to escalate to Fumoto.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

Quick drain, is a another option. I forget which 1 I used. Me and yozh had a post about this a while back. Mine did have a nipple on it that I just grinded off and has been on for 3 years. But 200 times better then the nut
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 12:27 AM   #10
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Jomiri, why buy off eBay when you can get directly from Fumoto and make sure it's a genuine one.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Jomiri, why buy off eBay when you can get directly from Fumoto and make sure it's a genuine one.
That was my thought. It sounds like he got a pot-metal knockoff.
      07-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
That was my thought. It sounds like he got a pot-metal knockoff.

Gotta take risks sometimes

Shipping was fast and free, and I bought it from a reputable vendor. Plus I had both eBay and PayPal backing me, so I figured why not.

Talking to the Fumoto rep, seems a weak bolt was a known flaw in their design. They sent me a replacement free of charge as long as I returned the old one. The part I received off eBay looked identical to Fumoto's pictures.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Another update to this. I got the replacement F109SX valve from Fumoto and installed it a few days ago. It sticks out pretty far, I wasn't able to keep the drain plug door shut (or on the car at all). I ended up taking off the door. I can look under the car from the side and see the valve just slightly below the belly pan. I plan on going even more slowly over bumps. I have stock, sagging, 110k mile sports suspension.

As far as installing, I didn't torque it very much at all, I just did the recommended 15 ft lb. However, two of the drain valve parts have to squeeze into each other. For my valves, I had to hold the two together in order to make them stay. Not very confidence inspiring since the torque used to tighten wouldn't cause the two pieces to come together. No leaks so far, and all seems ok for now.

All in all, I'd recommend going for another valve. I'm keeping the original drain plug and emergency oil in the car. I personally am considering changing to the regular F109.

Also its probably worth mentioning the the original eBay valve I got (and broke) was a genuine Fumoto. Everything was exactly the same between the two, but the one direct from Fomoto did feel marginally better between the two valve pieces. The eBay one felt like it didn't belong together, this new one felt like the two pieces were arguing siblings.
      09-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Mine fits fine and I can get the door closed. Regular valve is the best fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
jomiri
Private
United_States
Rep

Reviving this, wanted to report back after my first oil change with the valve (haven't been driving that much). No drips or leaks, seal was good, and I was very pleased to see even though I left the drain bolt door/flap off, there was no scraping or damage to the valve (your results may vary). Pretty pleased about that since I've scraped a few times thanks to old sports suspension, speed bumps, steep driveways, etc.

I drained the oil without incident, it held the new oil with no leaks and I was able to reinstall the clip in order to ensure the valve isn't accidentally opened. It's not the perfect solution since it sticks out and won't allow the drain bolt door to be installed, but it works just fine. I'll stick with it until I have a big puddle of oil behind me.

I should also note it made the change a lot easier. Well worth it, even with the less than ideal fitment.
      08-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #16
deeprecon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Bringing this post back from the depths.

JUST an FYI

It looks like the Fumoto F109 has been discontinued and replaced by the f109sx

Amazon does have some base model f109 in stock but not many.
Appreciate 1
POBEP367.00
      08-06-2021, 10:39 PM   #17
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

My main issue with Fumoto was that it’s a smallish opening and slower drain.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #18
deeprecon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Agreed Yozh, I get the oil warm and vent the fill cap (loosen)

Quote:
My main issue with Fumoto was that it’s a smallish opening and slower drain.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #19
Mike_Smith
Rep
Drives: 2002 M coupe

Warm oil + Mityvac = no need to remove the nut.
Appreciate 0