BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

05-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MW/SO

Front lip on the ferry?

Anyone try driving up one of the ramps on a ferry in Washington with a front lip installed? I've been wanting to get one but ill be moving to Whidbey soon. I'm at stock height and it already feels like it might be close to scraping when they send me up the sides.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetkin View Post
Anyone try driving up one of the ramps on a ferry in Washington with a front lip installed? I've been wanting to get one but ill be moving to Whidbey soon. I'm at stock height and it already feels like it might be close to scraping when they send me up the sides.
Don't have an answer for you exactly but the angle on the ramp depends greatly on which ferry and where the tides are at when you board. Where on Whidbey are you moving to? I was there 17 years. Can't wait to get back. If your living in the north end of the island( oak harbor, coupeville) the ferry is no faster than driving when headed to Seattle.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Howard_R
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Sakhir Orange M4

No problem going up onto the upper decks - I have a stock height M4 with a front lip. Only ferry I have taken is the Edmonds/Kingston ferry though. My concern with the ferry is if they don't level the main loading platform onto the ferry - that can sometimes be pretty steep.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetkin View Post
I don't have a lip but my car is lowered and I have no issue going up the side. The guys on the Whidbey island ferry are typically pretty nice and notice a low car coming and will put you in the middle regardless.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU135i View Post
Don't have an answer for you exactly but the angle on the ramp depends greatly on which ferry and where the tides are at when you board. Where on Whidbey are you moving to? I was there 17 years. Can't wait to get back. If your living in the north end of the island( oak harbor, coupeville) the ferry is no faster than driving when headed to Seattle.
I'll be moving to the Langley area. Love it there so far.

I was concerned mainly with the side ramps up to the upper decks and hadn't considered the boarding ramp itself. Ideally I won't be commuting every day, but I'm far enough south that the ferry still makes sense when I do have to leave the island.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It sounds like I shouldn't have a problem so I'll pick up a lip when I've got the spare cash. I guess the incline isn't as sharp as it looks.

The Whidbey staff has directed me up top a few times already. The first time I ended up on the opposing ramp down and they put the tire wedge blocks in front of my bumper instead of the tires because it was too low aleady at stock to place them correctly.

Last edited by Vetkin; 05-08-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0