F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Camber kit on stock M Sport (704) suspension
Extreme Powerhouse

05-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Camber kit on stock M Sport (704) suspension

I'm almost dead set that I'm going to end up doing the M Performance suspension kit on my car later this Summer/early Fall, but in the meantime someone mentioned to me that a camber kit might be useful, even on my non-adaptive M Sport suspension. I track the car 2-3 times a year at BMW HPDEs at VIR and enjoy pushing my car on the track, but I won't take it as far as some competitive timed racing. In my time at VIR with this car, even most recently with my MPSS tires, I noticed that the front side walls roll over quite a bit; I'm assuming that a camber kit and adjustment will help this considerably and provide more front end grip. I'm told that that the downside is a considerably noisier ride and a rougher ride for daily driving.

1) Is the increase in ride harshness and noise truly considerable when adding a camber kit?

2) If so, can the car be left in the stock camber setting for daily driving and then adjusted more aggressively strictly for track use? Also, is there a middle ground to provide more grip/less sidewall rollover and maintain a mostly OEM ride quality/quietness?
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Camber kit should have zero effect per se if set to zero at stock config. Then before track event youll adjust accordingly.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
I'm almost dead set that I'm going to end up doing the M Performance suspension kit on my car later this Summer/early Fall, but in the meantime someone mentioned to me that a camber kit might be useful, even on my non-adaptive M Sport suspension. I track the car 2-3 times a year at BMW HPDEs at VIR and enjoy pushing my car on the track, but I won't take it as far as some competitive timed racing. In my time at VIR with this car, even most recently with my MPSS tires, I noticed that the front side walls roll over quite a bit; I'm assuming that a camber kit and adjustment will help this considerably and provide more front end grip. I'm told that that the downside is a considerably noisier ride and a rougher ride for daily driving.

1) Is the increase in ride harshness and noise truly considerable when adding a camber kit?

2) If so, can the car be left in the stock camber setting for daily driving and then adjusted more aggressively strictly for track use? Also, is there a middle ground to provide more grip/less sidewall rollover and maintain a mostly OEM ride quality/quietness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Camber kit should have zero effect per se if set to zero at stock config. Then before track event youll adjust accordingly.
The primary purpose of a camber plate for non-professional racing is really to reduce cost of consumables such as tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post

Changing camber from "street" to "track" effects other elements of your cars alignment. I'd be wary about thinking adjustable top mounts give you a simple weekday setting as DD and weekend setting for tracking etc - its not that simple.

Get top plates installed and have them set to about -2deg negative - good compromise for both street and track IMHO and experience.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0