BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

Five 1M's for sale

Prices on them are insane (I called) but still ridiculous a dealer has five for sale.

http://bit.ly/2qJ3P1z
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Those guys always price high. They bought several M2s to hold onto.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Enthusiast Auto is the poster child for overpriced BMW M-cars
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, more power to them if someone is willing to pay their prices. They do have a pretty good photographer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
mad4che
Rep
Drives: BMW

what amount were they asking?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They already sold one that has 9k miles for $72k.

Yes, they actually bought my old Z4M from me and gave me a decent deal (car needed nothing, they did nothing to it, and then reposted it for $10k more).

I guess if you want an M car and want to make sure it's straight, and money is no object, this is the place for you! My concern is that buying a car from them would cause you to lose money quicker than driving a new car off the lot because their valuations would be hard to replicate by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
They already sold one that has 9k miles for $72k.

Yes, they actually bought my old Z4M from me and gave me a decent deal (car needed nothing, they did nothing to it, and then reposted it for $10k more).

I guess if you want an M car and want to make sure it's straight, and money is no object, this is the place for you! My concern is that buying a car from them would cause you to lose money quicker than driving a new car off the lot because their valuations would be hard to replicate by yourself.
I don't think there is anything wrong with their asking whatever they want to resell a car that they bought, at whatever price. This is free enterprise at work, and I'm a fan of that.

On the other hand, I would never, or perhaps nearly never, buy a car from them. When you buy a used car there is risk, which is nearly unavoidable. There are things you can do to mitigate that risk, but an unknown car being resold is full of risk. The older the car and the more miles it has racked up, the riskier is the endeavor.

If these people gave what amounts to a guarantee that the car will cause you no problems whatsoever over a set period after purchase, let's say a year or two, then maybe I could buy into it. But to my knowledge, all they do is stamp their name all over the deal, and in the end it is just a used car deal.

With Carmax, on the other hand, and everyone loves to trash Carmax, you get 5 days to return the car with full return of your money, which is plenty of time to check it out. They will transfer cars to your closest dealer for a low price, which depends on the distance. Once transferred, it is up to you whether or not to buy the car, and you are under no obligation to do so. They guarantee the car once sold for a month after purchase with no additional cost to you, and anything cropping up during that period is covered. You can buy an extended warranty from them that is pretty cheap in comparison to other extended car warranties out there. And their pricing tends to be more or less in the middle of the pack.

If you want to know more about your car or who owned it and how it was treated, you can always go private party. If you can trust the seller, you will have a lot more to go on dealing directly with the seller than with any intermediary such as EAG.

In summary, I'd take a Carmax deal long before I would buy from EAG, and quite possibly a good private party deal before either of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I used to think Carmax was a good way to go but they no longer prep their vehicles like they used to and they do sell previously wrecked or damaged cars whe they will have you believe they do not.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I used to think Carmax was a good way to go but they no longer prep their vehicles like they used to and they do sell previously wrecked or damaged cars whe they will have you believe they do not.
Caveat Emptor applies, of course. You have to check the car out like you would check out any used car; Carfax, PPI, driving it, etc. You have 5 days to return the car for a full refund. I suggest that you use that period wisely.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm pretty sure that Carmax no longer offers "The Doug Demuro Range Rover" type warranty. Their current warranty doesn't appear to be getting the best reviews from what I can tell.

If you're in the market for an E46 M3 ZCP with Sunroof Delete Carmax probably isn't going to be your best option...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Carmax no longer offers "The Doug Demuro Range Rover" type warranty. Their current warranty doesn't appear to be getting the best reviews from what I can tell.

If you're in the market for an E46 M3 ZCP with Sunroof Delete Carmax probably isn't going to be your best option...

I bought my 2013 135is Convertible from Carmax; it had less than 6500 miles on the odometer and was 2 years old at that point (1.5 years ago). The car was virtually brand new and the only "issue" was that the owners manuals were missing from the car (and Carmax reimbursed me for my cost in replacing them through ebay). I bought their 3 additional year (after end of MFR warranty) extended warranty, which I have obviously not used yet, but the price was right.

I can't speak of anyone else's transactions with Carmax, but mine went fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
35Past1
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Aside from their prices being on the high side, the condition of the cars look excellent. Also the low km on most of the M cars are amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Past1 View Post
Aside from their prices being on the high side, the condition of the cars look excellent. Also the low km on most of the M cars are amazing.
They know their niche, and if you want to buy from them, it will cost you. There is another 2nd hand dealer on the East Coast that tries to play in the same league as EAG; I would avoid both of them, unless I had too much money and too little sense.

It stands to reason that EAG occasionally sells a very troublesome vehicle. It would be interesting to know how they handle that situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #14
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

champignon, You might be missing the point of this dealership. They don't sell 135is or other cars. their are nothing like a carmax. they are selling 1M's, and other rare cars and ONLY rare cars. They aren't charging 10K over reasonable prices because they are risk free, or because they are in good condition, but because they are available and are selling cars that essentially are not available from anywhere else. They have some amazing stuff for sale for sure.

Im personally not into car collecting, and never will be. I like cars with high mileage that I can beat the shit out of and fix for cheap. However, If I was a collector, and wasn't on a budget, this dealership would be a dream because they have some of the best examples of the rarest cars available that otherwise cannot be found.

I believe they are marketing towards / selling cars towards collectors, not necessarily drivers.
      05-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #15
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
champignon, You might be missing the point of this dealership. They don't sell 135is or other cars. their are nothing like a carmax. they are selling 1M's, and other rare cars and ONLY rare cars. They aren't charging 10K over reasonable prices because they are risk free, or because they are in good condition, but because they are available and are selling cars that essentially are not available from anywhere else. They have some amazing stuff for sale for sure.
I have a 1M and I did not buy it from EAG, ergo, there are other sources of 1Ms. Even now, ~2 years later, it has less than 30K miles and is in great condition. If I wanted a pristine E46 M3, and there have been times I wanted one, with low mileage, there are scads to pick from that don't come from EAG.

Quote:

Im personally not into car collecting, and never will be. I like cars with high mileage that I can beat the shit out of and fix for cheap. However, If I was a collector, and wasn't on a budget, this dealership would be a dream because they have some of the best examples of the rarest cars available that otherwise cannot be found.

I believe they are marketing towards / selling cars towards collectors, not necessarily drivers.
I own 6 cars right now; 4 of them are at least somewhat collectible, but I drive them all. I don't say this to brag, but to point out that there are other sources. 2 are M-cars (Z3M Coupe; 1M, both single owner and relatively low mileage cars before I bought them) and I never considered buying either of them from EAG.

I don't get your point, honestly.

Last edited by champignon; 05-22-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #16
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

the 1M's for sale at EAG have less than 10K miles. I saw a white one that had 1500 miles or so. yes you can buy a 1M from multiple other sources, but can you buy a 1m with 1500 miles from multiple other sources? as far as i'm concerned, hell no.

Im not saying you can't find the model or type of cars they sell from other sources at all, im saying you can't find the cars they have at the mileage they have or in the specs they have. at least that goes for most of their cars. they are very rare and very hard to be replicated and that's why they charge a premium.
      05-23-2017, 12:17 AM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the 1M's for sale at EAG have less than 10K miles. I saw a white one that had 1500 miles or so. yes you can buy a 1M from multiple other sources, but can you buy a 1m with 1500 miles from multiple other sources? as far as i'm concerned, hell no.

Im not saying you can't find the model or type of cars they sell from other sources at all, im saying you can't find the cars they have at the mileage they have or in the specs they have. at least that goes for most of their cars. they are very rare and very hard to be replicated and that's why they charge a premium.
I guess one has to decide if a car that was manufactured 5-6 years ago, that was driven ~250 miles per year, is desirable. Don't get me wrong, I like low mileage cars, in fact most of the cars I own would fit that description. But 250 or 1000 or even 2000 miles per year, from the year of production?
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      05-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #18
casbboy
Rep
Drives: E82 1M Coupe

Was Considering Them

It's funny to have found this thread. I was considering selling them my 1M (or consigning it).

Not sure how much after market parts they are into. hmmmmm

Anybody work with them on sale?

*I should note my car has 29k miles, and has never been tracked or anything like that. But it does pull 388 whp and 438lb.

Cheers!
Ryan
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #19
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by casbboy View Post
It's funny to have found this thread. I was considering selling them my 1M (or consigning it).

Not sure how much after market parts they are into. hmmmmm

Anybody work with them on sale?

*I should note my car has 29k miles, and has never been tracked or anything like that. But it does pull 388 whp and 438lb.

Cheers!
Ryan
I do know that whatever they are going to offer you, you would do better private sale if you can go that route.

And btw, what are you running for modifications?

Cars end up at EAS for a reason. They are marketing towards the obsessive enthusiast who is willing to pay top dollar for the pampered very well maintained low mileage car. I think they are speculating on the long term market of most of their inventory with the thought that these 'analog' cars will be the last of their kind.
      05-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Just as a data point, I just traded my 46k mile VO 1M a little over a week ago, and it his the market a few days ago at just under $50k and just sold for that. It was a 1-owner car with no stories and stock with the exception of a charge pipe and BOV. I'm pretty sure they put new tires, refinished the wheels, and it looks like they gave it a great detail. It was my DD and in very good condition for the miles. I think this is a pretty good indicator of the current market, and somebody got a great car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #21
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Isn't this a great thread. Someone is selling our 6 year old cars at 20 grand more than we paid for them. I say yippee!
Appreciate 1
GimmeanM1448.50
      05-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #22
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
Just as a data point, I just traded my 46k mile VO 1M a little over a week ago, and it his the market a few days ago at just under $50k and just sold for that. It was a 1-owner car with no stories and stock with the exception of a charge pipe and BOV. I'm pretty sure they put new tires, refinished the wheels, and it looks like they gave it a great detail. It was my DD and in very good condition for the miles. I think this is a pretty good indicator of the current market, and somebody got a great car.
As far as a Dealership is concerned there really isn't sufficient data on these cars to know how to price them to market. If they have adjusted their age old used car strategy to current market demands then they would have had to pretty much guess at how to price it. Honestly not surprising that it sold right away. That seems low to me.