M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW Concept 8 Series: Official Press Release Photos, and Videos

05-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Concept 8 Series: Official Press Release Photos, and Videos

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Concept 8 Series: Official Press Release and Reveal
COMMENTS

The BMW Concept 8 Series.
Unadulterated dynamics and modern luxury – the essence of a BMW coupe.

Munich. The BMW Group is using this year’s Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este to unveil the BMW Concept 8 Series, the essence of a modern-day BMW coupe wrapped up in an enthralling design study. The study car will serve as a taster of a forthcoming BMW model – the new BMW 8 Series Coupe, slated for launch in 2018 and part of the biggest model offensive in the company’s history. The NUMBER ONE > NEXT strategy sees the BMW Group aiming to significantly increase sales and revenues in the luxury class, and the BMW 8 Series Coupe plays an important role here. “The number 8 has always represented the pinnacle of sports performance and exclusivity at BMW,” explains Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG Harald Krüger. “The forthcoming BMW 8 Series Coupe will demonstrate that razor-sharp dynamics and modern luxury can go hand-in-hand. This will be the next model in the expansion of our luxury-car offering and will raise the benchmark for coupes in the segment. In the process, we will strengthen our claim to leadership in the luxury class.”

The BMW Concept 8 Series reveals much of what is to come. “The BMW Concept 8 Series is our take on a full-blooded high-end driving machine,” says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design. “It is a luxurious sports car which embodies both unadulterated dynamics and modern luxury like arguably no other. For me, it’s a slice of pure automotive fascination.”

The exterior brings together the past and the future.
The BMW Concept 8 Series is immediately recognisable as a BMW, but also displays new design ideas and form-building techniques. “The design of the BMW Concept 8 Series provides a fresh interpretation of iconic BMW styling cues,” adds van Hooydonk. “And it also showcases a new approach to the use of forms which is reflected particularly prominently in the car’s surfacing. A handful of crisp lines mark out clear surfaces, and the car’s volumes are powerfully sculpted. Together, these elements make a forceful statement and create a model brimming with character. In short, this is a driver’s car.”

The flanks: expansive surfaces set within a sporting outline.
The silhouette of the BMW Concept 8 Series spreads low and powerfully over the road. The interplay of a long bonnet and flowing roofline bring dynamic allure to the car’s flanks, while the striking upward sweep of the concept’s trailing edge provides a crisp conclusion to the car’s rearward flow and adds another sporting flourish.

Within the car’s silhouette, the refreshingly clean yet also dramatic arrangement of surfaces and forms catches the eye and creates a crisp, modern look. The sharply drawn lines coursing over taut volumes represent a visual promise of the vividly dynamic driving experience that awaits.

A look at the details reveals two expressively styled character lines providing the border for surfacing that appears to be formed by air rushing out of the Air Breathers. Further back, the eye is guided to the pronounced flaring above the rear wheels. The flanks as a whole draw attention to a new aspect of BMW’s expertise in the execution of surfaces. Skilfully moulded line sources and flowing highlights accentuate the athletic contours of the BMW Concept 8 Series. And the exclusively developed exterior paint finish Barcelona Grey Liquid – a greyish- blue with highly iridescent pigments – shows off the surfacing to optimum effect. Large (21-inch) light-alloy wheels feature a sporty and exclusive multi-spoke design and aero elements, generate visual depth and set the seal of the compelling appearance of the car when viewed in profile.

The front end: sporty, low-slung and visually striking.
A large kidney grille, slim twin headlights and large air intakes form a striking, sporty front-end graphic. The classic BMW template has a fresh interpretation here, taking the company’s design language in a different direction. For example, the two kidneys are very low to the road and spread broadly across the front end. Taking inspiration from BMW coupes of years past, the kidneys are brought together by an unbroken frame to form a single large element. The grille widens as it extends downwards, emphasising the dynamic character of the BMW Concept 8 Series. Together with super-slim laser headlights and the hexagonal take on the “twin circular” theme, it brings a focused look to the front end.

The large side air intakes in the front apron intensify the car’s wide, sporting stance on the road and promise a very pure dynamic experience. The carbon-fibre element between them underlines the car’s sporty, high-performance character.

The rear: bold and modern.
Emotional surfacing also dominates at the rear of the BMW Concept 8 Series, creating a low, highly sculpted tail with maximum width-enhancing effect. The rear is defined by the interplay between volumes and lines, which extend around from the flanks and shape the rear section of the car. The powerful wheel arches hint at the car’s dynamic talents and advertise its rear-wheel drive. And the tapering of the passenger cell and the car’s wide track shine a particularly vivid spotlight on this area of the car.

The slim, stretched-out rear lights extend far into the sides of the car and provide a connection between the rear and flanks. The lights themselves take the form of L-shaped blades and project out from the rear. They emphasise the width of the car and its muscular stance on the road, and their slender form gives the rear an ultra-sporty and modern flavour.

The dark, stylised carbon-fibre diffuser in the lower section of the rear apron adds extra lightness and a sportier feel to the rear graphic. Large, trapezoidal exhaust tailpipes frame the rear section and point to the dynamic driving experience to come.

The interior: an emotionally rich blend of dynamics and luxury.
The interior focuses on the essential: the task of driving. Once behind the wheel, the driver is wrapped in the tightly enclosed ambience typical of sports cars. The surfaces and lines all gravitate forwards and underscore the dynamic driving experience. The grouping of functions into control clusters, e.g. in the centre stack, the centre console and the doors, gives the interior a clear graphic structure.

Among the standout design elements in the interior are the fluid transition from the instrument panel into the doors and the sporty, enveloping feel of the interior. This impression is magnified by the smooth connection between the centre console and instrument panel, which together form the nucleus of the interior. The high centre console and the instrument panel’s low visual focus add further emphasis to the snug and sporty feeling of space.

The interior of the BMW Concept 8 Series actively explores the contrasts between emotion and engineering, dynamic flair and luxury; its form suggests supreme sportiness, while exquisite materials exude exclusivity and high-grade design. For example, all of the driver’s contact points with the car are brimming with sporting character. The exclusive sports seats are slim in design, the carbon- fibre shell providing the basic structure and the finest leather making them the perfect place to sit. The steering wheel continues along similar lines, its hand- polished aluminium spokes arrowing forward purposefully, and the red-anodised shift paddles bring the race track to mind. The contrast of aluminium and dark leather on the gripping surfaces emphasises this luxurious sense of sportiness in various details.

Merino leather in Dark Brown and Fjord White lends the interior a high-quality ambience. Accent surfaces in carbon fibre and hand-polished aluminium create deliberate contrasts and radiate a sporty and technical feel. Plus, a faceted ground gearshift lever and the iDrive Controller made from Swarovski glass with a smoky quartz look treat the interior to some modern and classy finishing touches.

A sign of things to come.
The BMW Concept 8 Series is a preview of a model which BMW is set to introduce in a similar form in the coming year. The BMW 8 Series Coupe will build on the company’s successful tradition of luxurious sports cars and adds another exciting model – a genuine dream car – to its existing luxury-class line-up. The BMW 8 Series Coupe will bring together razor-sharp dynamics and modern luxury, and set new benchmarks in the luxury coupe segment.

BMW Concept 8 Series

Appreciate 6
DRTMGRT328.50
Pentium184.50
M3 n X5M171.50
1M Tex240.00
matowi173.00
      05-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Love this...

Cannot wait to see the drop top...
Appreciate 1
YungDro1088.00
      05-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Oh I jizzed
Appreciate 4
YungDro1088.00
Edinburra546.50
ORIGIN M.3159.50
Inablur163.00
      05-25-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

OMG! My faith in BMW is restored!

It's gorgeous!
      05-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Wow!! That aerial shot of the rear is great!

Cannot wait to see the color options!

Really liking this Barcelona grey!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I think this is terrific looking vehicle. I hope that the Gran Coupe does materialize as inside information suggests it will. That's going to be one hot four-door.
Appreciate 3
YungDro1088.00
clbmw631.00
      05-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Beautiful.

Please, whatever you do BMW, just keep it lightweight!
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
Russkey154.50
      05-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Ok, it does look better than a BMW Camaro. More like a DB10 or DB11 crossed with a Jaguar. I wish the grill was more bmw and less jaguar. I would not kick one out of my garage though!
Appreciate 2
gds52886.00
clbmw631.00
      05-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Beautiful.

Please, whatever you do BMW, just keep it lightweight!
Just to continue from the previous post, it's based on the 5,015 pound 760Li. It's not going to be remotely light.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
Coops90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OxGreen/Cin E46M, Mal.GreenE30

All kidneys and no cigar
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added interior video:

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 3
      05-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
Fabs///M
Private
Rep
Drives: not a bmw lol

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Minor nitpicks:

- The concept car lacks the classic BMW Hofmeister Kink. The concept drawing has one.

- Wheels are too bright. Large wheels in chrome make any car look cartoonish.

- Separate headlights and kidneys. Attaching headlights to kidneys is just too weird IMHO.

- Low, wide kidneys. No "angry beaver" vertical kidneys (a la 3.0 CSL Homage).

- The no-door-handle look is very cool, but there is no way it will make production.

Would love to see the concept car at Car Week in Monterey this August. Fingers crossed.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #15
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 1
YungDro1088.00
      05-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #16
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Nothing's really special about this car. Just another big series coupe. Will get bored quick.
Appreciate 5
      05-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Swing and a miss. Looks like shit.
      05-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Wow! In certain angles it looks so freaking good. I still think they have to work out some changes for the release but boy this car looks amazing. Can't wait to see what the M engineers can do to this. It already has a double bubble roof.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
professor_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
OMG!! I'm in love!!! I DEFINITELY WILL be getting this!!! Promise to myself!!! (But is it only me who blinked and thought they were looking at another Honda Accord coupe?)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #20
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Reminds me of a Tesla.
      05-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #21
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Would like to see it without the corner "dimples" in the buttress (rear bumper)!

Edit: After taking a second look,...the front grill looks wayyy over-the-top! The grill shouldn't appear to make up near 50% of the nose of a car,....the balance is lost!

Is BMW competing with Dodge?

Last edited by JMD; 05-25-2017 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Enhancements!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #22
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
I love it and would buy it if they built it. Too bad it is a concept car and like almost all concepts is unlikely to be this bold and beautiful when production comes. I'll try to remain optimistic and hope the BMW team decides to actually build something that looks like the concept car.
Appreciate 0