BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > The good, bad and ugly when it comes to XPEL

06-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
rpps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '12 Golf

Garage List
The good, bad and ugly when it comes to XPEL

Hi there, gang.

I am going to definitely yank off the 3M BS film that comes on the M2's rear fender. I know a lot of people are super pumped about XPEL but curious if that really is the best-in-breed material at the moment.

Would love to hear about any experiences whether they were good, bad or just downright ugly.

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I just had my bumper done with xpel. From the research I did, it seemed to have the best reputation as long as your installer was on his game. Mine looks like, well....nothing, aka great.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Completely agree, the product is only as good as the installer. I went onto Xpel's site and found a certified installer in my area and then confirmed their work via yelp. They cut the product with machine into 3 pieces and the install turned out to be near perfect, seams are only visible from within 3 feet
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

A lot of installers have been switching to Suntek.

They all claim it's because the material is of higher quality thus more resistant to blemishing and yellowing, but I'm not sure how valid those claims are. My guess is Suntek went through a marketing push and offered some significant discounts to installers.

Even if that's the case, that doesn't mean it's not a better or equal product. I have it on my car. How it looks post-install is really up to the installer. Find a reputable one.

How it's going to look in 2-3 years? At this point, who knows?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

My local installer used the 3M pro series with a pre-pattern for the front bumper cover, headlamps, and running boards. Then did custom pieces for the area behind the rear wheels/qtr panel. I left the stock film on the front part of the rear qtr as the car is LBB and decided to see how it looked in time. Overall, super happy with the results, although I think that a full custom wrap, although more expensive, would show less seams and be better if installed properly. It would be best to find someone who has already done an M2 as I was told that it was a fairly involved process to get the frt cover just right. I have a couple very, very small areas that aren't perfect, but you need to be staring at them up close to notice. Thinking of doing the full hood as well now that I have seen the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 01:40 AM   #6
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Xpel has a grittier look to it so it is better for light color cars as it's not as noticable on them. If you have mineral grey or BSM go with suntek.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:25 AM   #7
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

From personal experience, Suntek is bit better than 3M when it comes to quality of paint reflection, but it can't be compared with XPEL.

Also, the installation is not so easy with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:56 AM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

From what I have heard Suntek is easier to install because it stretches easier, so installer may prefer for that reason. I also imagine it's easier to get it looking nice if it is easier to install.

Seems like some people can't tell the diff between Suntek and Xpel, but if they do they say Suntek looks a bit nicer. I guess Xpel Ultimate is thicker than the 5 year warranty Suntek. Not sure about Suntek Ultimate. For this reason perhaps Xpel offers better protection from stone chips.

For the M2 I would make sure whoever you get uses an xpel pre cut pattern on the bumper because it should reduce the amount of cutting they do on the car if any and they won't be as at risk for stretching too much.

Probably the best advice is to find an installer that a lot of people are happy with, then you will likely be happy. Brand is less important.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Happy with my XPEL on my M2, used 3M starshield, Suntek and XPEL, like XPEL the best so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
ModestV8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Heard Xpel is getting sued? So installers are in the process of not offering that for the time being and using other film, for example suntek.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
jnoyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jycf87 View Post
Heard Xpel is getting sued? So installers are in the process of not offering that for the time being and using other film, for example suntek.
That lawsuit was settled. Installers are able to get it again. http://www.windowfilmmag.com/2017/03...ettle-lawsuit/
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
M2 Belgium
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Very happy with Xpel. Installer only used pre cut pattern, no cutting on the car. I would suggest to remove the stock film on the rear quarter panel because it's too small and not of great quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Xpel has a grittier look to it so it is better for light color cars as it's not as noticable on them. If you have mineral grey or BSM go with suntek.
It's not noticeable on my MG. No one has noticed it until I pointed it out (I wrapped the whole car but if you go with full front installs where they wrap edges on hoods you won't see it either). It does give an obvious orange peel effect so if you care about that, look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quality of the appearance has gone up. The Xpel patterns are really some of the best on the market if installed correctly with an eye for alignment.
Suntek makes a great film as well. Clear Guard Nano has some of the highest clarity for film on the market. It is more expensive to install.

Find a great installer you trust and maintain the film. Thats how you get the life out of it. If you dont take care of it, it will not look good in the long run.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #15
zhp2m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
It's not noticeable on my MG. No one has noticed it until I pointed it out (I wrapped the whole car but if you go with full front installs where they wrap edges on hoods you won't see it either). It does give an obvious orange peel effect so if you care about that, look elsewhere.
Is there an orange peel effect on just Xpel or does suntek have it as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #16
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp2m3 View Post
Suntek is closer to a glassier finish but you will have to do paint recondition and a deep buff to get the paint/clearcoat perfect prior to installing. The cars come from the factory with orange peel so if you just put the Suntek on, you'll still have it.

That having been said, as with all films of the nature, you will probably have some even with the Suntek. Just the nature of the game. Even the best phone screen protectors that are wet install have some orange peel and aren't completely clear. It won't be as noticeable as XPEL up close. From a distance, you can't tell either one has it really.

For me, it was more important to have the best protection (you can argue for either one, but I chose the XPEL because of the 10 year warranty. Worth more to me than the price difference from my installer) available than worry about orange peel. It's not a show car. If it was, then yeah, I would have done other things. Like not drive it to start. HA.
Appreciate 1
zhp2m3147.50
      06-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #17
zhp2m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Suntek is closer to a glassier finish but you will have to do paint recondition and a deep buff to get the paint/clearcoat perfect prior to installing. The cars come from the factory with orange peel so if you just put the Suntek on, you'll still have it.

That having been said, as with all films of the nature, you will probably have some even with the Suntek. Just the nature of the game. Even the best phone screen protectors that are wet install have some orange peel and aren't completely clear. It won't be as noticeable as XPEL up close. From a distance, you can't tell either one has it really.

For me, it was more important to have the best protection (you can argue for either one, but I chose the XPEL because of the 10 year warranty. Worth more to me than the price difference from my installer) available than worry about orange peel. It's not a show car. If it was, then yeah, I would have done other things. Like not drive it to start. HA.
thx for the info. suntek also has a 10 yr warranty. still debating on which one and also considering the fact i have very minor rock chips and if i should touch those up first or since minor leave it before ppf.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #18
stripecheck
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Belgium View Post
Very happy with Xpel. Installer only used pre cut pattern, no cutting on the car. I would suggest to remove the stock film on the rear quarter panel because it's too small and not of great quality.
Very happy with mine so far. The installer i used recommended this exact thing a replaced the factory piece with xpel basically as a throw in for very little extra (i think $50 or $75 more) in addition to the full front.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thx for the info. suntek also has a 10 yr warranty. still debating on which one and also considering the fact i have very minor rock chips and if i should touch those up first or since minor leave it before ppf.
That was changed this year I believe. I got my M2 last year so it would have been 5 at my time of install.

I recommend touching them up. You might as well have the car as close to perfect as you can before you do the PPF.
Appreciate 1
zhp2m3147.50
      06-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #20
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
That was changed this year I believe. I got my M2 last year so it would have been 5 at my time of install.

I recommend touching them up. You might as well have the car as close to perfect as you can before you do the PPF.
Suntek has both a five year and ten year warranty now.

5 year is on the original PPF-C film. This film is the original and has been around for a long time.

10 year is on their newest film called Suntek "Ultra". Has a hydrophobic top coating and more resistant to yellowing and stains, etc. I am getting it done on the whole front of my car here in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #21
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
Suntek has both a five year and ten year warranty now.

5 year is on the original PPF-C film. This film is the original and has been around for a long time.

10 year is on their newest film called Suntek "Ultra". Has a hydrophobic top coating and more resistant to yellowing and stains, etc. I am getting it done on the whole front of my car here in a couple of weeks.

Suntek would be my go to for PPF due to clarity but I would hope the "ultra" version would be at least the same or better.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #22
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Suntek would be my go to for PPF due to clarity but I would hope the "ultra" version would be at least the same or better.
I've spent quite a significant amount of time researching and asking others who have the new film already. Most have said the clarity is the same, but the gloss has increased. I'll be sure to post up my feedback after my car is completed.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00