F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New Member Intro - 2014 320i xDrive Sedan
Studio RSR

06-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Dukie585
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xDrive

New Member Intro - 2014 320i xDrive Sedan

Hello hello!

I've been cruising around the forums ever since I picked up my new (to me) 2014 320i xDrive on Friday (6/1). Figured I'd properly introduce myself. I found these forums when I was looking for an upgrade to my headlamps / headlights after driving the car at night for the first time... stock halogens are garbage.

I've got a lot of small tasteful things in store for this car so I'll probably make a post to track its progression. I've done similar things for past cars / projects and it's always nice to dig those up a few years later and look at everything you've accomplished.

Anyway, I live near Indianapolis so is anyone knows of any good shops/events in the area let me know. This is my first BMW, even though I've wanted one forever. Metallic dark blue is the ONLY color a 3-series should be had in (IMO). All black interior too! Was lucky enough to find a low mileage CPO in that color WITH the sports package. The sports seats alone are worth it, but the steering wheel is a nice bonus. Also had a spoiler which I could take or leave... not sure if that's a part of the sport package or not.

Here's a short list of the things I want to tackle on the car first. Probably aim to have this all wrapped up before 2018 but we'll see.

1. New headlights (just ordered these yesterday: https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/i...roduct_id=1023 )

2. LED low / high beams - Making sure I can properly code the car myself before I buy any. I got all the SW needed from other forum members, just need to install it and mess around with it before I pull the trigger. I think I'm just going to do low beams to start. But then again, I'll probably do this all when I swap the headlights so it might be easiest to just get it all done in one pass.... we'll see

3. Reverse camera - I never had one of these until I bought my new Subaru Forested XT in 2016. I have since been spoiled. I thought I could live without this.... but I've already found myself regretting that decision multiple times in the less than 1 week I've owned this car. I found this kit online that looks nice and relatively simple to install. (MMI version since I don't have the nav package https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/ ). Debating if I would want to pay an extra $200 while I'm at it and get that SmartView HD Flex as well. Would be nice to mirror my phone screen on stock nav screen....

4. Coding for the following...
a. Keyfob lock button to roll up windows
b. Blinkers/lights blink when locking the car (I've seen someone did that, can you get it to beep too? I would like that just as a confirmation the doors are locked)
c. Error free LED low/high beams & no cold/hot temp checks
d. No Nav screen warning when turning the car on

Let me know if there is any other quick code things I didn't mention / think about. I know a lot of people tune S/S out of the way, but my car seems to remember that I have it disabled so I'm not going to mess with it. I work for an OEM and I actually spent over a year on a hot shutdown project and the effect on engine components. In my opinion, the added fuel savings is not worth the extra stress/heat on engine components.

Down the line I think I'm going to buy a "comfort access" door handle and code the comfort access lock/unlock feature onto the car. From what I've seen, it's pretty easy to code. I just need a color matched OEM handle. But, this is pretty low on my list.

Also, wayyy down the line, I'm going to chip the car to get a bit more HP/torque out of it. But, I'm not going to mess with that until my car is out of warranty which isn't for a long time since I have the +2year/50k miles from it being a CPO and I've still got 1year/20k miles left on the factory warranty.

Let me know if you can think of any other things along the lines of what I mentioned above. Excited to be a part of such an enthusiastic group of BMW people. I've only had the car for a week but I can see that this forum is full of amazing and detailed write up from very knowledgeable people! Can't wait to get started on mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukie585 View Post
Hello hello!

I've been cruising around the forums ever since I picked up my new (to me) 2014 320i xDrive on Friday (6/1). Figured I'd properly introduce myself. I found these forums when I was looking for an upgrade to my headlamps / headlights after driving the car at night for the first time... stock halogens are garbage.

I've got a lot of small tasteful things in store for this car so I'll probably make a post to track its progression. I've done similar things for past cars / projects and it's always nice to dig those up a few years later and look at everything you've accomplished.

Anyway, I live near Indianapolis so is anyone knows of any good shops/events in the area let me know. This is my first BMW, even though I've wanted one forever. Metallic dark blue is the ONLY color a 3-series should be had in (IMO). All black interior too! Was lucky enough to find a low mileage CPO in that color WITH the sports package. The sports seats alone are worth it, but the steering wheel is a nice bonus. Also had a spoiler which I could take or leave... not sure if that's a part of the sport package or not.

Here's a short list of the things I want to tackle on the car first. Probably aim to have this all wrapped up before 2018 but we'll see.

1. New headlights (just ordered these yesterday: https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/i...roduct_id=1023 )

2. LED low / high beams - Making sure I can properly code the car myself before I buy any. I got all the SW needed from other forum members, just need to install it and mess around with it before I pull the trigger. I think I'm just going to do low beams to start. But then again, I'll probably do this all when I swap the headlights so it might be easiest to just get it all done in one pass.... we'll see

3. Reverse camera - I never had one of these until I bought my new Subaru Forested XT in 2016. I have since been spoiled. I thought I could live without this.... but I've already found myself regretting that decision multiple times in the less than 1 week I've owned this car. I found this kit online that looks nice and relatively simple to install. (MMI version since I don't have the nav package https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/ ). Debating if I would want to pay an extra $200 while I'm at it and get that SmartView HD Flex as well. Would be nice to mirror my phone screen on stock nav screen....

4. Coding for the following...
a. Keyfob lock button to roll up windows
b. Blinkers/lights blink when locking the car (I've seen someone did that, can you get it to beep too? I would like that just as a confirmation the doors are locked)
c. Error free LED low/high beams & no cold/hot temp checks
d. No Nav screen warning when turning the car on

Let me know if there is any other quick code things I didn't mention / think about. I know a lot of people tune S/S out of the way, but my car seems to remember that I have it disabled so I'm not going to mess with it. I work for an OEM and I actually spent over a year on a hot shutdown project and the effect on engine components. In my opinion, the added fuel savings is not worth the extra stress/heat on engine components.

Down the line I think I'm going to buy a "comfort access" door handle and code the comfort access lock/unlock feature onto the car. From what I've seen, it's pretty easy to code. I just need a color matched OEM handle. But, this is pretty low on my list.

Also, wayyy down the line, I'm going to chip the car to get a bit more HP/torque out of it. But, I'm not going to mess with that until my car is out of warranty which isn't for a long time since I have the +2year/50k miles from it being a CPO and I've still got 1year/20k miles left on the factory warranty.

Let me know if you can think of any other things along the lines of what I mentioned above. Excited to be a part of such an enthusiastic group of BMW people. I've only had the car for a week but I can see that this forum is full of amazing and detailed write up from very knowledgeable people! Can't wait to get started on mine.
Congrats man. Same car, same year here! Mine is also a CPO but I've been dying to drop a Dinan Sport or JB+ in it. Have to resist the urge. Post some pics man. I'd love to hear how the headlights turn out. My stock halogens are horrible.
      06-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Congrats and welcome to the dark side.

Checkout these headlight LEDs designed for the halogen light fixture - https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...og-Light-Bulb/ , Bimmian is a well respected provider of lighting products for BMW.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-07-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Congratulations and welcome! I'm glad you found the right car, patience pays off. Gotta find the right one.

Post up some pics!

Charles
      06-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Dukie585
United_States
Rep

I'll post some pictures later tonight. Dropped it off at my local dealer for a speaker replacement and iDrive screen issues.

Speaker issue is intermittent and they were unable to replicate. I'll keep an eye on it and raise hell if it's still acting up and not replaced before warranty expires. Speaker giving me trouble is front driver side door pillar.

The iDrive issue was just the system shutting down and taking 5 minute to restart while driving. They said the screen overheated because the brightness was too high. Even though i had been driving for 10+ minutes with AC blasting. Again, I'll just keep an eye on it. I've got 1 year/20k miles left on my factory warranty to work out all the kinks.

The dealership I brought it to is next to a Subaru dealership owned by the same guy. They gave me a Outback as a rental which was fun for all of 1 minute. I want my ultimate driving machine back! Was really hoping they would give me a 320 or 328 to play around with. Oh well, maybe next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Dukie585
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I'd love to hear how the headlights turn out. My stock halogens are horrible.
I can't believe they sell these cars with such terrible front lighting. How many people are test driving cars at night to know this before they buy?

The light and bulb swap probably won't happen for 2-3 week. Got the in-laws coming to visit the next few weekends unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Dukie585
United_States
Rep

Pic right after wash and detail the day after I bought. More / better pics to come!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CJ4211559.00
MojoRider103.50
      06-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Pic right after wash and detail the day after I bought. More / better pics to come!
that dark blue is strikingly nice, is it Monaco Blue? it looks darker. really nice color. congrats and good luck with the new car
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Does your car come with Sport Auto (i.e. does it have paddle shifters) ? If not, I recommend coding the Sport Auto (2TB) Transmission, it will make the car shift snappier and feel faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
Does your car come with Sport Auto (i.e. does it have paddle shifters) ? If not, I recommend coding the Sport Auto (2TB) Transmission, it will make the car shift snappier and feel faster.
Make sure to code out paddle shifters if you don't have them and decide to code 2TB
      06-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Here's mine next to the wife's Cherokee. Really thinking about replacing the halogens with better lights. Anyone have any recommendations?
Attached Images

06-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Dukie585
United_States
Rep

I do not have paddle shifters. I might give the sport auto transmission a demo run. OBD II cable just came in the mail today.

I have the smaller iDrive unit with Bluetooth calling only. Can I code that to Bluetooth audio as well? I find it ridiculous the car has Bluetooth pairing but no way to play audio via bluetooth....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
Dukie585
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx
Here's mine next to the wife's Cherokee. Really thinking about replacing the halogens with better lights. Anyone have any recommendations?
She's a beaut. I'm a sucker for black cars, but told myself I wouldn't go black after my last car being a pain to keep clean.

Are you looking at updating just the bulbs? Or the entire light fixture? If you're willing to code go LED. But you'll probably want to upgrade to projectors for LED.

Halos or bust for me. :seesaw:
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx
She's a beaut. I'm a sucker for black cars, but told myself I wouldn't go black after my last car being a pain to keep clean.

Are you looking at updating just the bulbs? Or the entire light fixture? If you're willing to code go LED. But you'll probably want to upgrade to projectors for LED.

Halos or bust for me. :seesaw:
I'm thinking the entire light fixture, might as well. I've been looking at Eagle Eyes. They seem to be the popular choice for us with halogen setups. I'm getting comfortable with coding lately. I just coded BT streaming audio and office and both work flawlessly. If you need help coding those items, let me know.
      06-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #15
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

You even get album art when connected via USB...
Attached Images

06-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #16
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

I was reading up on your thread about swapping your halogen bulbs. Check these out, they seem to be VERY well rated. No coding necessary. They will supply a resistor if you ask them for free so you don't get any error lights on your dash:

https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...og-Light-Bulb/
      06-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #17
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
I'll post some pictures later tonight. Dropped it off at my local dealer for a speaker replacement and iDrive screen issues.

Speaker issue is intermittent and they were unable to replicate. I'll keep an eye on it and raise hell if it's still acting up and not replaced before warranty expires. Speaker giving me trouble is front driver side door pillar.

The iDrive issue was just the system shutting down and taking 5 minute to restart while driving. They said the screen overheated because the brightness was too high. Even though i had been driving for 10+ minutes with AC blasting. Again, I'll just keep an eye on it. I've got 1 year/20k miles left on my factory warranty to work out all the kinks.

The dealership I brought it to is next to a Subaru dealership owned by the same guy. They gave me a Outback as a rental which was fun for all of 1 minute. I want my ultimate driving machine back! Was really hoping they would give me a 320 or 328 to play around with. Oh well, maybe next time.
Sorry to hear about the issues!
You can look into getting the car CPO'd before your warranty expires, that will give you some peace of mind for future years. Ask some dealerships for pricing on doing that.

Charles
      06-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
LRW70
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #19
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

You forgot to list BMS stage 1. That should be your first mod. I ran it for 3 years on my 320. It was dead reliable and brought the car up to around 220HP. Night and day improvement over stock.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #21
Dukie585
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
You forgot to list BMS stage 1. That should be your first mod. I ran it for 3 years on my 320. It was dead reliable and brought the car up to around 220HP. Night and day improvement over stock.
This is on the list, I just think I'm going to hold off until the factory (and maybe CPO) warranty fall off. I don't want to be hard on the engine and so far I'm really enjoying it. I do mostly highway driving to and from work so the only time I need a punch is when I'm merging on. And sport mode does more than enough for me along with "shifting"

Also, I do not have the paddle shifters. I'll be sure to code those out when I do upgrade to the stage 1 tuning. Just took a bunch of pics, will be uploading them shortly.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #22
Dukie585
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
You even get album art when connected via USB...
Very nice. I'm hoping to start playing around with coding in the next few days. Do you have an apple or android phone? Will album art work with either?

If it doesn't work with android I can live without the album art.
Appreciate 0