E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rough Idle and Cylinder Misfire Code after 3 Stage Intake Installed

06-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Rough Idle and Cylinder Misfire Code after 3 Stage Intake Installed

Just as the title states ... rough idle and cylinder misfire code after I had a 3 stage intake manifold installed. The car didn't have any codes thrown prior to the install.

I just had the manifold installed today (as well as the starter). The work was done at a Bosh shop. It idles really rough, but when you get going it stops idling rough shortly thereafter and resumes a normal idle (when at traffic lights). BUT when the car is started again ... it idles rough again.

The car does have the "service engine soon" light ... the shop told me they checked everything and it isn't a vacuum leak, but said the code thrown was a cylinder misfire.

I do have a BPC tune I was hoping to load on Monday (guessing they're closed over the weekend) ... will that sort the issues? ... at least the idling issue>

EDIT ... the BPC tune I will be installing is a 3 Stage Manifold tune not stock intake.

Last edited by N52UNED; 06-09-2017 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      06-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Did they reset all the adaptations? I'd do that and clear all the codes expecting almost all of that to go away.

Did you put the tune on for the 3 stage intake or are you running the original tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Did they reset all the adaptations? I'd do that and clear all the codes expecting almost all of that to go away.

Did you put the tune on for the 3 stage intake or are you running the original tune?
They said they did a reflash. I have not installed the tune yet ... sorry, yes it is a BPC 3-Stage Manifold tune that I'll be installing.

I took it for a quick spin ... it conked out at a stop ... got it going. By the time I got to my house it was idling like normal, but once I started it up again ... the idle went back to rough.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I would check to see if any coils have popped loose. Also, they can say whatever they like - but those plastic hoses are brittle and easy to break. One of them could be cracked, causing a vac leak. You can't even tell by looking at them because they are wrapped with heat tracing and insulation.

Another possibility is something like the MAF might not have been plugged back in. I would just have a look under the hood and see if there's anything obvious like that.

Finally, it's probably worth resetting your adaptations if they flashed the car. This will also require a couple restarts to reset error codes for throttle position but it should go back to normal quickly. I would recommend resetting them after flashing to the BPC tune as well.

The shop will probably not be helpful since it's the manifold isn't "stock" to that car - but the manifold itself won't really change how the N52 runs without flashing it.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED179.00
      06-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I would check to see if any coils have popped loose. Also, they can say whatever they like - but those plastic hoses are brittle and easy to break. One of them could be cracked, causing a vac leak. You can't even tell by looking at them because they are wrapped with heat tracing and insulation.

Another possibility is something like the MAF might not have been plugged back in. I would just have a look under the hood and see if there's anything obvious like that.

Finally, it's probably worth resetting your adaptations if they flashed the car. This will also require a couple restarts to reset error codes for throttle position but it should go back to normal quickly. I would recommend resetting them after flashing to the BPC tune as well.

The shop will probably not be helpful since it's the manifold isn't "stock" to that car - but the manifold itself won't really change how the N52 runs without flashing it.

Thanks for the info ... nope no hanging wires, or nothing disconnected. The shop said my hoses looked good, they actually used them instead of the new ones they ordered.

If its an ECU issue ... should the BPC tune sort out the issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't think it's an ECU issue. It should run the same as before with the 3 stage installed.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED179.00
      06-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

I did the Gas Pedal reset ... started it 4 times ... same old story. Rough idle.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's an ECU issue. It should run the same as before with the 3 stage installed.
Was thinking the same thing ... just need to someone to confirm it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm going to bring the car back to the shop tomorrow and have them check everything over ... if they cannot find the issue they can reinstall my stock manifold .... that way if it's still idling rough ... they'll won't have the 3IM to blame.

I can hold off a bit more and bring it to BPC in the near future. I hate wasting $$ but I know they're not going to be of help sorting the issue ... so back to stock should remedy the issue ... if it's not truly anything they did/didn't do.

I'd rather it be a dependable car and bring it to people who really know what they're doing. Plus I should be able to get a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

check ignition coils and wire connection with them, it might be some loose the cause the moved the manifold. I'm running 3im without any tune for a now and I have no issues at all. Car pulls strong, but I still need to check again all the hoses and replace maybe some cause motor and shift knob is shaking lightly.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED179.00
      06-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Would a loose ignition coil throw a cylinder misfire code?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yes
Appreciate 1
N52UNED179.00
      06-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes
I thought as much. Again ... had to make sure. Thank you.

They stated there was a misfire code thrown .... it has a rough idle ... it seems to me they just didn't want to spend the time to take it apart to check.

Unfortunately I wasn't knowledgeable enough at the time, and was optimistic that it would sort itself out after a bit of a drive (as it does, but acts up again at start).
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #14
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
I thought as much. Again ... had to make sure. Thank you.

They stated there was a misfire code thrown .... it has a rough idle ... it seems to me they just didn't want to spend the time to take it apart to check.

Unfortunately I wasn't knowledgeable enough at the time, and was optimistic that it would sort itself out after a bit of a drive (as it does, but acts up again at start).
I would not lay this at the feet of the manifold.. i put the same (presumably) manifold in and had no such issues, even before re-tuning.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED179.00
      06-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #15
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

chances are if they swap the stock manifold back in without fixing the cause of the missfire - it's still not going to run properly.
Appreciate 1
N52UNED179.00
      06-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
chances are if they swap the stock manifold back in without fixing the cause of the missfire - it's still not going to run properly.
Yeah I know ... but then they'll have to address the cause of the rough idle and misfire. Basically I'm taking out the intake as an excuse, buy reinstalling the stock one. If the stock intake cures the issue ... we'll know that was it. If not, it's on them.

I dropped off the car last night but stopped by this morning. I spoke to the shop manager about the possibility of a coil causing the misfire. He said that when they checked the misfire code, it didn't tell them which cylinder caused the code, so that lead them to suspect it wasn't truly a misfire issue but something that is throwing that code due to the 3IM install (he also went onto say how they deal with ignition coil issues often, so that's a reason why they are dismissing it being a coil).

Regardless of what he thinks ... They're going to check the coils to make sure there's not something loose. If there isn't any coil issues ... back to stock.

I explained to him that if "it's not something they did as they claim ... then the stock intake should remedy the issue." He acknowledged the point. As he is certain that they are not the cause of the issue. He just stated that they'd be happy to reinstall the manifold, but thinks its a "programming" issue. Unfortunately it won't be until Monday that they'll look at it.

The manager is certain that it's a programming issue, that's why it's acting up. HE also noted if the DISA's are not operating properly ... it could cause too rich of a system, therefore the issues. To me, I'd rather mitigate any additional issues/runaround buy just biting the bullet cut my losses, and go with someone with more experience doing performance work (BPC).

*** To add insult to injury .... the BOSH mechanic didn't tighten my battery's negative terminal and I got stuck in a grocery store parking lot ... and had to call AAA for a jump. (car died with key in ignition and I couldn't open the trunk to even check the terminals). PLUS the mechanic left a large screwdriver in the engine compartment.

I think the mechanic sped thru the installation and was sloppy. When the car died, I immediately called the shop, and spoke to the mechanic ... I questioned the battery. He stated that he did reconnect the battery terminal ... he didn't even realize he never tightened the connection.

I believe it's likely loosened a coil, as you mentioned ... BUT I highly doubt they'll admit they even made a mistake anyway. Reinstalling the stock intake and bringing my business elsewhere seems to be the best bet. I'll go ahead and install new DISA valves before I attempt the install again, just to make sure they're not the cause.

Last edited by N52UNED; 06-10-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #17
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

I spoke to the shop and don't believe they reflashed the ECU to account for the adaptations.

Am I correct in my though/belief I need to reinstall the BMW '07 328i programming for my car so it recognizes DISA valves so they work (just not to its optimum since it still has the 328 programming and not the 330)?

OR can you simply install the 3IM and the DISA's work without a need to touch the ECU?

Again, I do plan to add a BPC tune once this is sorted.

Last edited by N52UNED; 06-10-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
Yeah I know ... but then they'll have to address the cause of the rough idle and misfire. Basically I'm taking out the intake as an excuse, buy reinstalling the stock one. If the stock intake cures the issue ... we'll know that was it. If not, it's on them.

I dropped off the car last night but stopped by this morning. I spoke to the shop manager about the possibility of a coil causing the misfire. He said that when they checked the misfire code, it didn't tell them which cylinder caused the code, so that lead them to suspect it wasn't truly a misfire issue but something that is throwing that code due to the 3IM install (he also went onto say how they deal with ignition coil issues often, so that's a reason why they are dismissing it being a coil).

Regardless of what he thinks ... They're going to check the coils to make sure there's not something loose. If there isn't any coil issues ... back to stock.

I explained to him that if "it's not something they did as they claim ... then the stock intake should remedy the issue." He acknowledged the point. As he is certain that they are not the cause of the issue. He just stated that they'd be happy to reinstall the manifold, but thinks its a "programming" issue. Unfortunately it won't be until Monday that they'll look at it.

The manager is certain that it's a programming issue, that's why it's acting up. HE also noted if the DISA's are not operating properly ... it could cause too rich of a system, therefore the issues. To me, I'd rather mitigate any additional issues/runaround buy just biting the bullet cut my losses, and go with someone with more experience doing performance work (BPC).

*** To add insult to injury .... the BOSH mechanic didn't tighten my battery's negative terminal and I got stuck in a grocery store parking lot ... and had to call AAA for a jump. (car died with key in ignition and I couldn't open the trunk to even check the terminals). PLUS the mechanic left a large screwdriver in the engine compartment.

I think the mechanic sped thru the installation and was sloppy. When the car died, I immediately called the shop, and spoke to the mechanic ... I questioned the battery. He stated that he did reconnect the battery terminal ... he didn't even realize he never tightened the connection.

I believe it's likely loosened a coil, as you mentioned ... BUT I highly doubt they'll admit they even made a mistake anyway. Reinstalling the stock intake and bringing my business elsewhere seems to be the best bet. I'll go ahead and install new DISA valves before I attempt the install again, just to make sure they're not the cause.

well, you gotta do what you gotta do - but quite flatly, they are wrong.

no, the tune doesn't "recognize" anything - it doesn't' really use them effectively. It's not going to make the car run rich, or lean, or misfire - it just won't make power like a 330i would.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #19
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Sounds like your mechanic has no idea what he's talking about. Plenty of people have done this swap without programming what so ever. I've had broken disa's, 3im without a tune and all of the above.
I'm suspecting that too. When the shop manager mentioned it was running rich because of the mod ... I did question it to him. Stating that, regardless of the DISAs working or not it should still work as an air intake. He argued that they might be hindering the appropriate air flow, thus causing the issues.

This is a big reason why I'm just going to go back to stock if it's not a coil. I'm just afraid that they caused the rough idle and are going to blame the mod even after the stock manifold is installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well, you gotta do what you gotta do - but quite flatly, they are wrong.

no, the tune doesn't "recognize" anything - it doesn't' really use them effectively. It's not going to make the car run rich, or lean, or misfire - it just won't make power like a 330i would.

Thank you for all your input. Yeah, it really sucks, as it may be costly if they don't find something loose or unconnected ... it just goes to show ... even if a shop has great reviews ... they might just be good at switching like parts and changing oil.

The shop didn't seem to "get" what I was doing with the mod, it was a red flag ... but I figured if they did starter changes (like the one they did while my car was in the shop) ... they should be able to simply swap an air intake.

I was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Definitely not a programming issue and fwiw gas pedal thing is more transmission reset and not the same as resetting adaptations via diagnostic software.

First off do you have your own code reader or are you relying on what the ship is telling you? It sounds like an install issue. The shop should do a smoke test, it's quick and easy. As others said most likely a vac leak or the ignition coils.
      06-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #22
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Definitely not a programming issue and fwiw gas pedal thing is more transmission reset and not the same as resetting adaptations via diagnostic software.

First off do you have your own code reader or are you relying on what the ship is telling you? It sounds like an install issue. The shop should do a smoke test, it's quick and easy. As others said most likely a vac leak or the ignition coils.

I'm relying on the shop ... I don't have a reader, but after this will be picking one up.

The shop stated that they did a checked for a vac leak ... and are positive that it isn't a vac leak.

They didn't check the coils. Since there wasn't a cylinder attached to the code ... they dismissed it the code as a generic code due to the 3IM. They will be checking the coils and for anything loose on Monday when the mechanic (who I believe is their lead mechanic) is back from the weekend.

Basically the car ran like crap, the shop figured the car would adapt after some driving it a bit (as did I). Also that the tune would sort the issues. They did take it for a quick run, and stated that outside the rough idle, once it goes ,,,, 'it goes like a raped ape' according to the shop manager.

I agree ... I believe it's an install issue ... unfortunately I'm rather skeptical they'll admit it. They seem to be in "it's nothing we did" mode. They're just too quick to blame the 3IM and not their work. Hopefully they find the issue. When I spoke to the manager this afternoon, inquiring if they did a reflash of my ECU, he did seem to want to have it work. He does seem to want to find the issue. Hopefully they prove to be competent enough to sort the issue.

Last edited by N52UNED; 06-10-2017 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0