F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Phillip Hammond looking increasingly like a PM
ARMA SPEED

06-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Phillip Hammond looking increasingly like a PM

The only credible candidate to replace May, should she step aside over the next few weeks, looks to be Phillip Hammond in my view.

Boris is a clown. Gove is a freak. Leadsom doesn't pass the human test. Fox has a brain the size of a walnut. Hammond is a league above them and sufficiently moderate to move the party back towards the centre ground. Amber Rudd is a second possibility, but she's probably too inexperienced.

Hammond also has an excellent grasp of economic matters, which is where the fight back against Corbyn's fantasy spending plans needs to start.
Appreciate 5
LobB5109.00
Edinburra546.50
      06-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
You mean the guy off top gear ???
      06-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
The only credible candidate to replace May, should she step aside over the next few weeks, looks to be Phillip Hammond in my view.

Boris is a clown. Gove is a freak. Leadsom doesn't pass the human test. Fox has a brain the size of a walnut. Hammond is a league above them and sufficiently moderate to move the party back towards the centre ground. Amber Rudd is a second possibility, but she's probably too inexperienced.

Hammond also has an excellent grasp of economic matters, which is where the fight back against Corbyn's fantasy spending plans needs to start.
I could not agree more, however Boris is brilliant and if he became PM it would underline the British sense of humour so well.
      06-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

He doesn't have much personality...which is a criticism of May..
Has the look and feel of a tax collector. Perfect for his current job.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      06-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Having had business dealings with Phillip Hammond, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw Westminster Abbey.

A sale of a company, he (and his legal people) walked in on completion day to inform us that they were £250k short, and they expected us to complete the deal on the new basis, they even had new contracts written up with the lesser sum in.
We informed them that they could get stuffed, and walked out. They were informed that the original deal would remain on the table until we'd had lunch and got back to our cars. They had our numbers, so they could get in touch with us during lunch.
Twenty minutes later, they've amazingly managed to get hold of the 'missing' £250k, and it was available to complete the deal.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Having had business dealings with Phillip Hammond, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw Westminster Abbey.

A sale of a company, he (and his legal people) walked in on completion day to inform us that they were £250k short, and they expected us to complete the deal on the new basis, they even had new contracts written up with the lesser sum in.
We informed them that they could get stuffed, and walked out. They were informed that the original deal would remain on the table until we'd had lunch and got back to our cars. They had our numbers, so they could get in touch with us during lunch.
Twenty minutes later, they've amazingly managed to get hold of the 'missing' £250k, and it was available to complete the deal.
Trouble is... I wouldn't trust any of them. Especially Boris.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
He doesn't have much personality...which is a criticism of May..
Has the look and feel of a tax collector. Perfect for his current job.
I would rather have a pint with Boris, and Hammond can be a little monotone, but I have never seen him have a bad interview. He appears unflappable, and astute enough to get his point across. His Budget speech was surprisingly funny. Perhaps I'm overestimating his human qualities having watched too many cringeworthy Maybot interviews, but relative to her, he's a barrel of laughs.

With a Labour Party pitching to the hard left, and some insane Marxist crap coming out about requisitioning the houses of the wealthy in Kensington, the obvious place for the Tories to position themselves is right in the middle. It's an open goal, and Hammond fits that centrist position very well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Sounds like a shrewd businessman

We have had some indirect dealings with him over the last couple of years on a financial matter, and he seems quite smart to me, but interesting to hear your experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:

You clearly wanted to do the deal, or your numbers should have gone up by £50k for spoiling a very nice lunch whilst waiting for them to come to their senses.

However I agree with your sentiment, that's clearly no way to be carrying on.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 04:18 AM   #10
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
You mean the guy off top gear ???
That would be even more hilarious
Appreciate 0