E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How long will my high mileage 330d last? what problems should i expect?

06-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
harveybajwa
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport e90 LCI

How long will my high mileage 330d last? what problems should i expect?

Just need a bit of help and advice regarding my e90 lci 330d (2011)
I bought the car in November 2015 and since then i've put thousands of miles on it, mostly 70mph cruise control commute up the m1 from coventry to sheffield daily and the odd cross country trip up to scotland or what not and so the miles have piled on and im now sat on just slightly over 150k

Im very overly-careful owner and so any time i hear the slightest noise or the car feels any bit different, its straight to the garage, i service it every 15kish miles with decent oil, always been castrol or mobil1 and decent filters, only thing ive ever cheaped out on is not forking out for run flats.

Most of the mileage is from motorway speeds, usually cruise controlling between 70 and 80mph but every now and again i do get a bit heavy footed (dont we all ) and hit the 120's etc.
I do like to enjoy my car and so every now and again whilst doing city driving or out in convoy ill give it a good thrash sideways through a corner or a quick launch from lights, but on the most part i'm (arguably) sensible with it.

Now, i recently thought that instead of keeping my car i better get rid of it as the mileage is racking up and i'm now living in sheffield and so don't really need a car as much as i did before, so i'm opting to get a motorbike. I listed the car for sale and its been up for a good few weeks and had little to no interest apart from the odd person with a ridiculous offer, nearly let it go for peanuts earlier today but luckily talked myself out of it, it seems no one wants a high mileage car and so thinking of just keeping it, sorry about the long read but figured best to give a background of how i drive/maintain before i ask my questions, so how much should i expect it to drive? are the chances high of my car having heavy mechanical failures at around the 200k mark? What are main issues to look out for/prevent? anyone had any experiences with high mileage 330d's? its a 61 plate, so late 2011, has the n57 diesel engine i believe?

after seeing what people are offering for my pride and joy i would honestly rather keep it, i honestly love my car and know since i've owned it, it hasn't given me any problems, but i'm sceptical about it becoming a money pit, already having lost so much on value due to depreciation, all part of the reason i wanted to jump ship but as a hgv driver, it is not uncommon for me to get in lorries that have surpassed the half million mark and run like clockwork still so just interested in knowing what kind of life expectancy should i expect and what problems should i expect along the way if i decide to keep her?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

Well im certainly no expert mechanic, but typically the rule of thumb is any vehicle will run for as long as you're willing to maintain it and pay for parts. Sorry if thats a bit of a cliche answer but each car is different. But from what i understand, the N5X platform is fairly well engineered. (It is a bimmer after all) I think it wouldnt be unreasonable to expect 200-250k miles (assuming she's been taken care of) out of her before it becomes what people i know call it "Beyond economical repair", where it becomes more expensive to continue maintaining the vehicle as oposed to purchasing a new one. Get full synthetic 7 qt oil changes, walnut blast & decarbonize the motor every 50-70k. I think you'll end up having to replace valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, ignition coils, belt tensioner, battery, the typical things. But the e9x models, asside from the 335 are all quite reliable.

Last edited by NFiftyWon; 06-24-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 1