E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front CV Axle Noise

06-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Front CV Axle Noise

Ever since I put coilovers on my 2009 335xi E90 I have been getting noises from the front. I thought it was the coilovers but after messing with all the front suspension I found the front CV axles have a little bit of play (1-2mm). It is play in and out of the hub. My guess is as the wheel goes up and down the axles are pull in and out and make that noise?

I have the wheels off and on a jack when I found this out, so I am unsure if it would get better or worse when I put wheels back on and put it on the ground. However I was wondering if anyone know what I could do to silence this? I never had this before coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
chev_chelios
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI

I also do have a clunking sound in the front on my 2008 335xi on bumps, road cracks or imperfection.
Hard to say if the sound got ''amplified'' since the install of coilovers because the suspension was completly shot and making alot of noise.

I have been tracking the sound for sometimes now with no luck.

When playing with the front drivetrain I also did notice a considerable play in the front cv axles. I can literaly move the shaft in its axis by 2-3 mm and I can feel a loose on the wheel side between the shaft and the part that is fixed in the wheel hub.
The play is normal on the inner side (front diff side) but I don't know what kind of loose is normal on the wheel side.

I can also shake the front cv axles and it will make a rattle. There is also a small amount of play between the inner connection and the diff.

No clicking on turning while driving.
Axles are visualy ok to me, no tear in the boot, no splashed grease.

I dont know if dissasembling, cleaning and repacking with fresh grease will help.

175000km on the clock(110000miles)
Appreciate 0