Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Heat gun on arch liner to prevent rubbing

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Heat gun on arch liner to prevent rubbing

Hi all,

Has anyone out there successfully used the heat gun method on their front arch liners to press them in so as to prevent rubbing?

I have a pre-LCI E90 335i M Sport sitting on a 3,000 mile old B12 kit with M3 front arms. I recently fitted some AG M359s in 19x9" and 19x10", 35 and 38 offset respectively, with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres in 235/35R19 and 265/30R19.

No rubbing at all on the rear, but on the drivers side (which is the passenger side in the US) the tire rubs on the lower right hand bolt head holding the oil cooler vent panel on, and also a little on the bottom edge of the oil cooler vent panel. I don't think it's rubbing on the other side.

I don't want to cut anything and lose the protection from road debris that the panel offers, and have read of one or two guys on here just heating the line up and pushing it in a bit.

Was also wondering about cleaning the back side of the panel up and using a plastic glue on the corner where the bolt is, so the bolt can be removed.

Any other ideas would be great.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

relocating the bolt, and a heatgun plus something to press into the hot plastic to mold it work great. I've done that, and trimmed a section of the inner liner out
      06-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
relocating the bolt, and a heatgun plus something to press into the hot plastic to mold it work great. I've done that, and trimmed a section of the inner liner out
Thanks, that's great to hear it works. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I think even though the tire only rubs slightly on that bolt head, it makes a heck of a noise inside the car, and I don't like the idea of metal on rubber!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

I sliced several strips out of the tread of my tire from exactly that
      06-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood
I sliced several strips out of the tread of my tire from exactly that
Most definitely trying to avoid that! Were the tires okay?

Hopefully getting rid of the bolt and replacing it with a plastic adhesive will cure the issue, along with heating the liner and pushing it in. Only needs to move in about half an inch.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRD View Post

Hopefully getting rid of the bolt and replacing it with a plastic adhesive will cure the issue, along with heating the liner and pushing it in. Only needs to move in about half an inch.
well, they aren't quite as smooth now, which is quite frustrating since they're new. Gonna try to get them balanced and see if that helps, but only the tread got hit, not the side wall so they should be fine for now. Funny thing is they're almost untouched on one half, and torn up in 3-4 strips on a section of the other half, just weird luck hitting that half of the tire with the bolt going into parking lots and stuff for 2 days until I got to the bolt/liner I guess
      06-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRD View Post

well, they aren't quite as smooth now, which is quite frustrating since they're new. Gonna try to get them balanced and see if that helps, but only the tread got hit, not the side wall so they should be fine for now. Funny thing is they're almost untouched on one half, and torn up in 3-4 strips on a section of the other half, just weird luck hitting that half of the tire with the bolt going into parking lots and stuff for 2 days until I got to the bolt/liner I guess
That's a bummer man. These cars seem to have very fine tolerances everywhere. Hope it works out with the balancing and that you don't have any more issues!
Appreciate 0