F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Oil temps
Studio RSR

07-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X Drive M Sport 6MT

Oil temps

Hey guys I have a 2013 F30 335 X Drive 6MT with ER intercooler ER Chargepipe and Turbo to intercooler charge pipe running JB4 on map 0 currently. And lately I've noticed something strange. For the first 6 months of owning the car I used to run in sport mode all the time seeing my oil temps go close to 250 which I knew was normal. Now that I've calmed down I now pretty much drive in comfort mode and saw that my oil temps have dropped significantly. My car had limp mode before installing these mods and the dealer replaced the fan and never happened again. Today I was driving in comfort mode normallyfor about 45 minutes and my oil temps wouldn't go above 220 thought it was strange cause it was about 80 degrees and humid in Connecticut. Parked the car got a coffee got back in the car started driving again then noticed my temps going to like 235 240 city driving. I get on the highway driving like 75 and my temps start going back down to like 215-220 which I thought the temps would go up during highway driving. But don't hear the aux fan going off so I don't think I'm in limp mode. Is this normal? And I guess another question is does the ER intercooler drop oil temp for more efficiency? I didn't think so but maybe I'm wrong. Some insight would be greatly appreciated. Have a happy holiday everyone! And please don't drink and drive in your F30!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
ChubbyWilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo93 View Post
Hey guys I have a 2013 F30 335 X Drive 6MT with ER intercooler ER Chargepipe and Turbo to intercooler charge pipe running JB4 on map 0 currently. And lately I've noticed something strange. For the first 6 months of owning the car I used to run in sport mode all the time seeing my oil temps go close to 250 which I knew was normal. Now that I've calmed down I now pretty much drive in comfort mode and saw that my oil temps have dropped significantly. My car had limp mode before installing these mods and the dealer replaced the fan and never happened again. Today I was driving in comfort mode normallyfor about 45 minutes and my oil temps wouldn't go above 220 thought it was strange cause it was about 80 degrees and humid in Connecticut. Parked the car got a coffee got back in the car started driving again then noticed my temps going to like 235 240 city driving. I get on the highway driving like 75 and my temps start going back down to like 215-220 which I thought the temps would go up during highway driving. But don't hear the aux fan going off so I don't think I'm in limp mode. Is this normal? And I guess another question is does the ER intercooler drop oil temp for more efficiency? I didn't think so but maybe I'm wrong. Some insight would be greatly appreciated. Have a happy holiday everyone! And please don't drink and drive in your F30!
ER Intercooler will keep your IATs down. If you did any spirited driving the thermostat will allow more coolant flow to reduce temps. Otherwise you may have a faulty thermostat which sticks open, you'll eventually get a CEL for it.
      07-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyWilly View Post
Quote:
ER Intercooler will keep your IATs down. If you did any spirited driving the thermostat will allow more coolant flow to reduce temps. Otherwise you may have a faulty thermostat which sticks open, you'll eventually get a CEL for it.
Quote:
Quote:
So it's definitely not normal? Am I ok to drive until I get a CEL no spirited driving when I noticed it. But once I get off the highway the temps go back up
      07-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
ChubbyWilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So it's definitely not normal? Am I ok to drive until I get a CEL no spirited driving when I noticed it. But once I get off the highway the temps go back up
First thing you need to do is get out of MAP 0 on your JB4, lol. Then have fun driving to a place with a BMW scan tool to see if it's throwing any shadow codes. That's the only way to really find out if there's anything broken or failing. I don't think spirited driving is an issue as long as the engine is not "cold".
      07-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
First thing you need to do is get out of MAP 0 on your JB4, lol. Then have fun driving to a place with a BMW scan tool to see if it's throwing any shadow codes. That's the only way to really find out if there's anything broken or failing. I don't think spirited driving is an issue as long as the engine is not "cold".
Quote:
Quote:
HAHAHA, I do have the Bluetooth app, have checked codes and the only code I got was "10BA48 intake, plausibility, intake air too high" deleted the code and it never came back
      07-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
ChubbyWilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HAHAHA, I do have the Bluetooth app, have checked codes and the only code I got was "10BA48 intake, plausibility, intake air too high" deleted the code and it never came back
Which bluetooth app?
      07-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Which bluetooth app?
Quote:
Quote:
Which bluetooth app?
The JB4 mobile app
      07-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Which bluetooth app?
I'm currently sitting in a parking lot with my car running and my oil temp is at 230 degrees which I consider normal.
      07-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
ChubbyWilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The JB4 mobile app
JB4 mobile app doesn't read shadow codes, does it? I use Carly which displays it.
      07-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The JB4 mobile app
JB4 mobile app doesn't read shadow codes, does it? I use Carly which displays it.
Quote:
Quote:
The JB4 mobile app
I have no idea. It might not show shadow codes
      07-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #11
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo93
Is this the actual oil temperature, or is it the engine temperature on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #12
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris48059 View Post
Quote:
Is this the actual oil temperature, or is it the engine temperature on the dash?
Quote:
Quote:
Engine temp on the dash
      07-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, so my next question would be. Is the temperature gage on the dash engine oil temperature or engine coolant temperature? The temperature gauge on the dash has always been the engine coolant temperature since I can remember. Has this changed with the turbo motors!?... I too noticed temperature fluctuations after upgrading my inner cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so my next question would be. Is the temperature gage on the dash engine oil temperature or engine coolant temperature? The temperature gauge on the dash has always been the engine coolant temperature since I can remember. Has this changed with the turbo motors!?... I too noticed temperature fluctuations after upgrading my inner cooler.
Quote:
To my knowledge it's engine oil temperature
      07-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now I'm nervous something's seriously wrong haha
      07-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #16
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This was from driving 15 minutes after the car had been sitting for half an hour. I consider this normal oil temps. I'll have to get a temp when I'm on the highway
Attached Images

07-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #17
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After a closer look at the gage it does look like an oil can. Which makes me feel better when seeing 250°. I thought that was a little too high to be engine coolant temperature.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After a closer look at the gage it does look like an oil can. Which makes me feel better when seeing 250°. I thought that was a little too high to be engine coolant temperature.
Yeah I think it's definitely oil temp
      07-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #19
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I think it's definitely oil temp
This seems odd to me. Coolant temps will rise quicker than oil temps. I like having the oil temp, and I understand the concept with the turbo motors. However, I personally would rather see the coolant temperature because it will spike first giving you a much quicker alarm to a potential problem.
Appreciate 0