E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Crankcase Breather Hose Replacement

07-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Crankcase Breather Hose Replacement

Cross-post from 1Addicts, since there is a lot more traffic in the N52 section over here:

Anyone know how to remove the crankcase breather hose from the back of the valve cover? Supposedly, you're just supposed to squeeze the plastic tabs together and pull it off, but I can't figure it out.

It doesn't help that I can barely get my hand all the way back there, and definitely can't see what I'm doing - I feel like this is way harder than it needs to be. Really frustrating to have done everything up to this point, and then have to call it a day because of something so trivial.
      07-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Practice removing it from the oil filter housing. It's same concept. Also, once you squeeze it, don't be afraid to use a screwdriver to push it out. Sometimes it needs a bit encouragement to let go.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
When I took mine off I was putting on an OCC, so I just broke it off. I was trying to get it off correctly for over an hour trying different angles then said screw it and slammed a screw driver into it.
      07-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
tdavis42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
I actually had to get under a tab 90degrees from where you squeeze with a pick and then squeeze and pull with the other hand since you can't actually get your hand in there to squeeze in the two points.

I hope this makes sense.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Practice removing it from the oil filter housing. It's same concept. Also, once you squeeze it, don't be afraid to use a screwdriver to push it out. Sometimes it needs a bit encouragement to let go.
Dude, thanks so much! It was very helpful to take a look at that same type of fitting up by the oil filter housing and sort of study it a bit. Made me realize I just had to wedge a long skinny screwdriver down below to push in the lower tab, while I pushed on the other from above. Worked like a charm!
      07-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Dude, thanks so much! It was very helpful to take a look at that same type of fitting up by the oil filter housing and sort of study it a bit. Made me realize I just had to wedge a long skinny screwdriver down below to push in the lower tab, while I pushed on the other from above. Worked like a charm!
Glad to hear.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
NJ | 330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330xi

I had to do this on my car replacing the VCG, it's kind of a pain, but you have to be careful because they break very very easily. I would try and use a small flat heat and carefully push one side of the clip in and use your finger for the other side and slowly pry it back and fourth. If you break it, I got mine from bmw for around $80.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I just did this last night. I removed the cabin filter and cowl under it, as well as the engine valve cover. It was pretty easy to access at that point. Squeeze the sides firmly with a pair of pliers, and gently pull the barrel out of the fitting with your fingers, assisting with the pliers. It might help to spray it with some silicon lube first, but mine popped out pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I can't remember who it was, but a Member here posted a great idea, which is to put a hose clamp on it to gently squeeze the tabs and then gently pull it off. I broke mine (not using that technique). I've been wrenching on BMWs for over 30 years and knew the hose easily breaks, so my breaking it wasn't from hamfisting it. That hose is just a complete pain in the ass. I tried pliers, screw drivers, everything. The hose gets so brittle as it ages, it snaps apart very easily.

In case you break it, I fixed mine using a 1/2" copper pipe butt-joint fitting and JB Weld. The inside of the hose is coated in oil that you have to thoroughly clean before using my repair. I used brake kleen and denatured alcohol.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I can't remember who it was, but a Member here posted a great idea, which is to put a hose clamp on it to gently squeeze the tabs and then gently pull it off. I broke mine (not using that technique). I've been wrenching on BMWs for over 30 years and knew the hose easily breaks, so my breaking it wasn't from hamfisting it. That hose is just a complete pain in the ass. I tried pliers, screw drivers, everything. The hose gets so brittle as it ages, it snaps apart very easily.

In case you break it, I fixed mine using a 1/2" copper pipe butt-joint fitting and JB Weld. The inside of the hose is coated in oil that you have to thoroughly clean before using my repair. I used brake kleen and denatured alcohol.
How difficult is it to replace the hose with a new one besides taking out the IM? Is it a good idea to get a new hose before tackling the VCG job just in case?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

It seems unlikely this would work but I've never tried so may be it does.

But you only need to squeeze 2 sides of the connector. Hose clamp would put even pressure all the way around which would most likely break it. The tabs form sort of an oval when you press the sides in.

I've always just used a set of channel locks to squeeze the sides and then finesse the connector off with a screwdriver.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
It seems unlikely this would work but I've never tried so may be it does.

But you only need to squeeze 2 sides of the connector. Hose clamp would put even pressure all the way around which would most likely break it. The tabs form sort of an oval when you press the sides in.

I've always just used a set of channel locks to squeeze the sides and then finesse the connector off with a screwdriver.
I couldn't get channel locks on my tabs. I couldn't even see the f'ing thing.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 11:23 PM   #13
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Just break the damn thing off and replace it. Screw messing around trying to get a cheap brittle plastic POS hose off without damaging it - sure, some people claim they are more skilled and its no problem, but I've probably been fixing my own BMWs longer than many of E90 post members have been alive, and getting those hoses off without damaging them is a nightmare.

I ended up "making" my own hoses, but if i did it again I'd just cut the fucking things off, knowing i already had replacements and didn't have to waste 3-4 hours of my life trying to save a plastic POS that is just as likely to break even if successfully removed.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17309.00
Phyrexia502.50
simon64.50
      10-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #14
greenberet123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Thanks so much for this! Saved my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberet123 View Post

Thanks so much for this! Saved my life!
That's a little extreme statement , but glad to hear it
Appreciate 0