F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Transfer Case issue
Studio RSR

07-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
rocksnap
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Transfer Case issue

Transfer Case was replaced under warrantee @ 41,000 miles. No computer codes were thrown. Just me noticing some very subtle issues with the drivability. When going thru a medium sized corner and under low/mid acceleration, I could feel the car doing a "stutter". Disconnect the TC, the issue went away. It also seemed to be making a subsonic noise/rumble that was masked by the long on tooth stock tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
5hift
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d M Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnap View Post
Transfer Case was replaced under warrantee @ 41,000 miles. No computer codes were thrown. Just me noticing some very subtle issues with the drivability. When going thru a medium sized corner and under low/mid acceleration, I could feel the car doing a "stutter". Disconnect the TC, the issue went away. It also seemed to be making a subsonic noise/rumble that was masked by the long on tooth stock tires.
yup, same thing i experienced. good thing your warranty covered it all. i still have a little out of pocket expense due to me having a deductable.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #3
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnap View Post
Yeah, when mine went out I had no issues. Till the day... I took an exit in LA and was turning on a round-a-bout and BOOM. No lights but I wasnt accelerating anywhere. i could hear the gears spinning but I guess something broke and it wasnt grabbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hift View Post
yup, same thing i experienced. good thing your warranty covered it all. i still have a little out of pocket expense due to me having a deductable.
Thats good a little is better than the whole thing. Mine just ran out of warranty when mine went out. Boy did that hurt. Im thinking of getting a 3rd party warranty since mines out. Any input or suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
ZeroTwitch
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Performance

I'm just going through this same situation with my '14 335i, still under warranty and dealer replacing transfer case.
      07-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
5hift
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d M Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Yeah, when mine went out I had no issues. Till the day... I took an exit in LA and was turning on a round-a-bout and BOOM. No lights but I wasnt accelerating anywhere. i could hear the gears spinning but I guess something broke and it wasnt grabbing.

Thats good a little is better than the whole thing. Mine just ran out of warranty when mine went out. Boy did that hurt. Im thinking of getting a 3rd party warranty since mines out. Any input or suggestions?

Got my third party warranty from CarMax, bought the vehicle there. I picked their premium one which was good for 5 years upto 125,000miles. It was an additional $4500 on top of the car. But the transfer case and Nox sensor replacement bill was $6500 total. Paid a deductable of $350 and additional diagnostic cost, $140, from the dealership to assess the issues w/ my F31.
The warranty paid itself off already, I'm glad I got it. HTH.
Appreciate 0