E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 3 stage IM Install

07-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
rponti
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

3 stage IM Install

I'll be installing this in a couple days. I purchase some manifold and TB gaskets. Other than the vent hose being brittle and moving a bunch of odds and ends this looks pretty straight forward. After reading a ton of threads I think I'm ready to go. Any special tools needed? or tricks I am missing?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

When you get to removing the wiring harness/junction box under the throttle body, don't bother trying to slide it off the 2 metal tabs on its mounting bracket. Just unbolt the whole bracket with the harness/junction box attached.

It's only 2 torx screws. I wasted 20 mins on trying to pull it off the metal tabs it's pretty much impossible lol

Also there's a wire just below that junction box and maybe 4" to the rear end (firewall end) of the manifold. When you get to the point that you think you are all done and now try to pull the manifold out and can't figure out why it won't come out, it's this wire which is still attached to the manifold on the bottom rear. I couldn't figure out why the manifold wouldn't lift out of the engine Bay until I found this wire. You can just pull the plastic piece that holds the wire to the manifold out of its mounting bracket on the bottom of the manifold.
Appreciate 3
rponti11.50
6ixSpd6014.50
      07-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
rponti
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Excellent! Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
When you get to removing the wiring harness/junction box under the throttle body, don't bother trying to slide it off the 2 metal tabs on its mounting bracket. Just unbolt the whole bracket with the harness/junction box attached.

It's only 2 torx screws. I wasted 20 mins on trying to pull it off the metal tabs it's pretty much impossible lol

Also there's a wire just below that junction box and maybe 4" to the rear end (firewall end) of the manifold. When you get to the point that you think you are all done and now try to pull the manifold out and can't figure out why it won't come out, it's this wire which is still attached to the manifold on the bottom rear. I couldn't figure out why the manifold wouldn't lift out of the engine Bay until I found this wire. You can just pull the plastic piece that holds the wire to the manifold out of its mounting bracket on the bottom of the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

It's also a good time to do some clean up on the motor is you ever had any leaks. Buy two or three cans of brake cleaner and have some Dawn and warm water handy and you'll have the motor like new in a few minutes. Always nice to get this all cleaned up while you;re there.

Tape over the intake ports with blue tape while you do this.

An extension magnet will be your best friend if you drop any fasteners.

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 07-17-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 2