E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N53 PE exhaust mode

07-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Mate
Rep
Drives: e93 n53

N53 PE exhaust mode

Does any one have info about what is inside PE exhaust muffler for e92 N53 ?
Or any ideas for stock muffler mods to make sound better ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I've never seen pics of a PE for the N53 cut open (why would you?). This image is the closest I've seen to an internal view:

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  9.4 KB
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
Mate
Rep

Picture of N53 stock exhaust cut open.

Any ideas what mods I can do inside to achieve a better sound ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Mate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
when you open the muffler, you will see perforated piping. replace it with the metal piping as seen in this picture.

next, you will want to delete your secondary cats for a deeper sound and better flow. with just the muffler on it's own, it will not be loud enough.

honestly, I recommend cutting out the muffler all together and just replacing it with a high flow aftermarket one.
Thats my rear muffler from n53 on picture. There is no perforated pipes inside. All is solid. Thats why i was asking. Because its quite difficult to find proper aftermarket exhaust for n53 due to bended original muffler piping shape.
Or you go for PE or modifiy original one. Any way when you cut it like i did and then weld it. Sound is already a lot better. More deeper tone.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Mate
Rep

Quote:
I see.. looks like the n53 has a modified muffler from the n52. i think the cats are also higher flow or something.

you should delete your secondary cats for more sound. it will sound great.
You can't delete secondary cats. Because engine is working on stratifed charge mode ,direct injection. Means there is 1 lambda before cats. NOx sensor between and 1 lambda after secondary cats. If you delete cats. Mpg will increase twise. There is still no options after 10 years od production to change the software for catless. Sadly. The only options is to change rear muffler for PE or custom.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
You can't delete secondary cats. Because engine is working on stratifed charge mode ,direct injection. Means there is 1 lambda before cats. NOx sensor between and 1 lambda after secondary cats. If you delete cats. Mpg will increase twise. There is still no options after 10 years od production to change the software for catless. Sadly. The only options is to change rear muffler for PE or custom.
ah... I see. I was not aware that the n53 has sensors after the secondary cats. my n52 engine does not so I did not encounter any issues when deleting them.

you can get supersprint midpipes with o2 sensors, people say they have had no problems with CEL or anything like that upon install, but I think i would rather just put that money into exhaust headers and leave the secondary cats instead.
I hate to be a nag here but Getinline do you have any real experience with tuning the n53 motor?

Unless a lot of people are successfully running headers or you yourself are running them I'd be very careful suggesting these mods to others

Just my two cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
tdavis42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
It looks like if you took the inlet pipe and ran it straight to the exit pipes you would get better sound. Any place the exhaust empties into a chamber it is so it can deaden the sound I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:50 AM   #8
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Unless the OP is struggling to afford a PE, I can't see why you're all making life so difficult. The PE axle-back muffler when fitted to the N53 gives a fantastic sound with zero adverse effects on the emissions system. Fitting is a one cut, no welding process. Couldn't be easier...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0