E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 07 335i - DMTL/Fuel issue

07-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
TigerTrip
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

07 335i - DMTL/Fuel issue

Hey everybody, first post here. I've had my 335i for about half a year and it has given me problems almost the entire time. I've tried to research on the forum for a few weeks to figure out what the problem is, but I haven't found anything that addresses this specific issue. I've taken it to a local shop that specializes in European cars, but they failed to fix it after 3 attempts. I don't really want to take it to the dealership because they'll probably charge me what the car is worth to fix it. If someone has recommendations or advice on what to do, that would be great. Let me know if there is any additional information that I've left out. I am able to do a good bit of work myself if proper guides or instructions are available, but I am not good at diagnosing an issue.

My car:
07 335i
93k miles
JB4 tune - I run map1
Only upgrades are intake and catless downpipe

The codes:
2F9E - Thermal oil level sensor (believe this one is just due to needing an oil change, which I'm doing tomorrow)
2A17 - DMTL module, system error/failure (this is the reoccurring code that will not go away)

The symptoms:
About 3 months ago, the car was having some bad misfires and O2 sensor failures. I replaced the spark plugs, swapped the coils and then replaced the O2 sensors and got a catless downpipe.
The car used to have trouble filling and the gas pump would auto-stop several times while filling.
It also used to cut off at low RPM in low gear... for example, when rolling into a parking lot around 2000rpm in 2nd gear. This has gotten less frequent, but it still happens sometimes. The car will also cut off when sitting still sometimes.
The most prevalent symptom is that at low RPM, in low to mid gear (1-4), and usually when driving uphill, the car lunges very badly. It feels like I just brake tapped hard but it is definitely something with the engine.

All of the current problems sound like a fuel issue to me. Could this be related to the HPFP?

What I've done:
I've had the dmtl sensor replaced twice and replaced the charcoal canister twice. Both of the second times were in warranty because the first ones failed. The canister had to be replaced because it had gotten fuel in it.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
TigerTrip
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Well nobody answered about this so I ventured to the dealership. After 3 days, they finally diagnosed my car with a "fuel tank blockage" and they wanted to replaced the entire tank for $3500.

The dmtl pump and particle can were filled with fuel because of the blockage. Basically once my fuel hit a certain level, it started forcing fuel into the pump.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
chanke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 3351 manual 6 speed

Researching this forum because my car is having the same issue with filling up plus a constant error message of the the fuel tank vent valve being jammed open when it is not. Vent valve replaced and DMTL valve replaced. Error message persists. Did you replace the gas tank and did this solve your issue? Did you ever get the fuel tank vent valve being jammed open error light? Thanks.
Appreciate 0