E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Door Trim and Seals

07-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Door Trim and Seals

Today, I corrected something my local dealership messed up and had refused to fix. Long story, don't ask. In any case, they had replaced my driver's side door trim on warranty (#4 in this diagram, which was nice. In the process, when they put the new trim piece on, they didn't bother to replace the door seals, #5 and #6 in the same diagram.

I bought them from ECS a while ago and just got around to replacing the seals today. The door trim itself is attached with a number of plastic clips. Starting from the portion nearest to the door mirror, I simply pulled straight out until I felt it begin to pull free from the clips. I moved along the edge of the trim piece until I was at the back. It attaches to another piece of trim that slides into it. That piece can be pushed forwards, and the #4 trim piece can be separated from the car with some care.

Some of the clips will pull off with the trim. Using a small screwdriver, separate them from the trim, and pop them back into their positions on the frame of the car.

The weather seals each have a specific orientation. They both attach directly to the #4 door trim, so it must be completely removed from the car in order to reattach them.

The longer, narrower top seal #5 must be slid into the trim piece from one end. I sprayed the channel it slides into with a silicon lubricant, and it finally slid into place after fiddling with it for a bit.

The shorter, thicker seal #6 can be popped into its channel (since the channel is a bit wider), by wiggling it back and forth along its length. There is a specific orientation for the seal - notice there is a triangular shaped piece that faces towards the front of the car. This seal must be seated behind the main door seal after the trim is reinstalled.

The trim can be reinstalled by starting at the sharp curvature towards the rear. Ensure the tabs fit precisely into the very last metal channel, then work forwards, gently placing the trim into the plastic clips. Once the piece is aligned to the clips, use the palm of your hand to firmly seat the trim piece and door seals into place. Check the length of the top and bottom seals to ensure they fit properly and there are no gaps. The bottom trim seal must be seated behind the main door seal. Slide the smaller trim piece at the bottom of the rear window back into position, aligning it with the metal guide pin attached to trim piece #4. This instruction will make sense once you see the parts. I should probably have taken a few pictures, but I wasn't thinking about documenting this at the time.

I wasn't able to find a guide that specifically called out these steps, so I figured it would share what I did to get this done.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

thanks for this. I've been having some wind noise from both windows for some time when going above 85mph. been buying foam weatherstripping and shoving it in between some of the rubber pieces which helps for a few months but might eventually have to do this
Appreciate 0