E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 LCI aircon

07-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

E92 LCI aircon

Hi guys, I have an issue with my aircon. When using it, everything is fine. But then next time I get into the car and leave the aircon off, just vents air circulation, there is an unpleasant smell coming from the vents.
Any advice what the cause might be and how to solve it?
All advice will be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
Hi guys, I have an issue with my aircon. When using it, everything is fine. But then next time I get into the car and leave the aircon off, just vents air circulation, there is an unpleasant smell coming from the vents.
When was the cabin filter last changed?

I've just bought a can of sitcom steriliser which has worked a treat. Spray it into the vents and leave to sit for 30 minutes.

I replaced the cabin filter and sprayed that with the steriliser and ran the aircon on the highest fan speed for 10 minutes.

Can't grumble for £5 and the price of the filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Spanner99
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 330d

Is it just when the fan first starts up? It's probably just a bacteria build up in the air con system. When did you last have the ac looked at. The recommendation is to have it regassed once a year and at the same time you can get the system cleaned. Places like kwikfit or ats do it and if you look on groupon there's normally adeal to be had.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Quote:
When was the cabin filter last changed?

I've just bought a can of sitcom steriliser which has worked a treat. Spray it into the vents and leave to sit for 30 minutes.

I replaced the cabin filter and sprayed that with the steriliser and ran the aircon on the highest fan speed for 10 minutes.

Can't grumble for £5 and the price of the filter.
I replace the cabin filter every 10k miles which is good imo for London air quality
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner99 View Post
Is it just when the fan first starts up? It's probably just a bacteria build up in the air con system. When did you last have the ac looked at. The recommendation is to have it regassed once a year and at the same time you can get the system cleaned. Places like kwikfit or ats do it and if you look on groupon there's normally adeal to be had.
It is only when I run the fans without AC after I have used the AC.
I had a look at my cabin filter and it looks ok but get a new one on wednesday.
BUT..I have never looked at the AC itself and had it for 2&half years
So I reckon its time. But dont want just some spray to be used as thats not a clean but a refresh?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Have you had a look at the actual fan that's in the dashboard behind the glovebox? Its easily accesible windshield side. Unscrew your cabin filter and remove the plastic trim below the windshield passenger side. Through the vent holes youo should see a big fat cylinder shape bladed filter thingy. Maybe worth a clean? Its the one that often gets a rusty screw that can make a squeeky noise.
Appreciate 1
pinco000164.50
      07-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
Have you had a look at the actual fan that's in the dashboard behind the glovebox? Its easily accesible windshield side. Unscrew your cabin filter and remove the plastic trim below the windshield passenger side. Through the vent holes youo should see a big fat cylinder shape bladed filter thingy. Maybe worth a clean? Its the one that often gets a rusty screw that can make a squeeky noise.
thanks for the advice m8, I'll definitely have a look. I guess it will be filthy
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
So this smell is quite a common issue and it is not related to the cabin air filter or the blower.

Issue lies in the A/C evaporator. As it cools and hot air comes in contact with it, it creates condensation. Due to the heat, moisture and dark environment the evaporator sits in, it becomes a perfect condition for mold bacteria to build up. The smell you are experiencing is mold. This mold growth occurs when you run your ac during your drive and then park your car.

Only true way to clean this properly is to remove the whole dashboard in order to gain access to the evaporator. As you can imagine no easy task and a major pain in the ass.

Alternative way is to buy dedicated evaporator cleaners with a long straw that insert through the air vents. You empty the can inside and the cleaner attacks the mold.

Problem is that there is no solution to the root cause due to bad design. Smell will get eliminated, however it will return once a significant amount of mold has built up again.

One way to minimize the possibility of reoccurrence is to ensure that the A/C is shut off few minutes before your destination and just run the blower on high to blow out/dry off any built up condensation.

There are a few threads on here that go in depth on this topic and cleaning procedures.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
So this smell is quite a common issue and it is not related to the cabin air filter or the blower.

Issue lies in the A/C evaporator. As it cools and hot air comes in contact with it, it creates condensation. Due to the heat, moisture and dark environment the evaporator sits in, it becomes a perfect condition for mold bacteria to build up. The smell you are experiencing is mold. This mold growth occurs when you run your ac during your drive and then park your car.

Only true way to clean this properly is to remove the whole dashboard in order to gain access to the evaporator. As you can imagine no easy task and a major pain in the ass.

Alternative way is to buy dedicated evaporator cleaners with a long straw that insert through the air vents. You empty the can inside and the cleaner attacks the mold.

Problem is that there is no solution to the root cause due to bad design. Smell will get eliminated, however it will return once a significant amount of mold has built up again.

One way to minimize the possibility of reoccurrence is to ensure that the A/C is shut off few minutes before your destination and just run the blower on high to blow out/dry off any built up condensation.

There are a few threads on here that go in depth on this topic and cleaning procedures.
That figures then... Sounds like a good solution. I had a stink problem in a golf 6 and ran some deo-basher aircon cleaner stuff I bough from VW (branded Audi). INstructions were simple; Car on aircon full blast Windows closed re-circulation off (I think), pop the can somewhere on the seats or floor of the car, it blows for 3 mins and let the product do its magic. It worked perfect and stayed smell free for a couple of years. It smell strongly on anti bacteria detergent though. You don't want to be in the car during the process unless you wanna
Appreciate 1
pinco000164.50
      07-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

i did a meguirs de odour can and that worked well to get the smell of smoke out the car, not mould but a similar product would work well, as said, can sealed up, recalculate on max for 15 mins this one was and the vents smelt lovely for months,
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 01:20 AM   #11
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was hoping to hear that there is diy how to physically remove the mold rather than just killing it ( im obc) but removing the dashboard is not an option for me
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 03:31 AM   #12
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

If I'm not mistaken, with the A/C off, try running it for 15-20 minutes with the highest heat and fan speed setting.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
I was hoping to hear that there is diy how to physically remove the mold rather than just killing it ( im obc) but removing the dashboard is not an option for me
Spraying the condenser with a cleaner will physically remove the mold. You are essentially washing it away and it drains at the bottom through ac drain vent.

There is a DIY on here where the guy used a wire coat hanger to guide the long tube from the can in order to spray the condenser. He gained access from under the glove compartment.

Edit: Link for your viewing pleasures of above mentioned

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=smell

Last edited by Wolf 335; 07-18-2017 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 03:25 AM   #14
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Great write up, easy to do. Will do this during hols as preventative and report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 03:44 AM   #15
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Spraying the condenser with a cleaner will physically remove the mold. You are essentially washing it away and it drains at the bottom through ac drain vent.

There is a DIY on here where the guy used a wire coat hanger to guide the long tube from the can in order to spray the condenser. He gained access from under the glove compartment.

Edit: Link for your viewing pleasures of above mentioned

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=smell
Thanks for the link m8, will get it done next weekend when my hols starts
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 mineral grey N47 ed

@wolf 335: a small thanks from me too for all the info and the link.