E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Found This Clogging N54 Water Pump

07-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
mezus
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d Wagon

Hey guys,

I few weeks ago I flushed the coolant on my wife's 2009 e93 335i. About a week after that, the car began overheating (but with no warning light). We replaced the thermostat and water pump and upon examination, found what looks to be a tan, cylindrical-curved piece of plastic clogging the water pump on [what I think is] the outlet side.

I've searched but can't find any definite answers as to what this is. It seems that it may be a piece of the coolant tank or coolant level sensor, but I'm not sure.

I guess my draining of the system caused some retrograde flow from the engine block, clogging the pump. Which would mean this cylindrical piece of plastic was in-between the pump and engine block

Any ideas what it's from and what I should do about it?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

If you look at pictures of a disassembled water pump, those bits look like they are part of the old water pump interior that is known to fracture.
Appreciate 0