E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2011 335xi Aftermarket Suspension

07-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Hey guys... first new thread here on the forum... I have tried to do my research before posting but if this has already been discussed please let me know.

I have a 2011 335xi and I just hit 125k miles. The car has always driven very well for me, but in the near future (<12 months) I'll be looking to get a new suspension in hopes of driving it at least another 125k!!

I have seen numerous threads on here about aftermarket suspension options and there are certainly a lot of opinions and combinations out there for this car. Most recently I was exploring the idea of Bilstein B8 and Eibach Pro Kit (specifically via this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664385) but I couldn't get a good feel for how 'low' the XI's look and ride with this set up. Most of the pictures seem to be quite different from one person to the next - or simply not that clear - and without indication of exactly what parts they used.

Ultimately, I would like to see the car drop lower to get rid of the rather high ride height that the stock XI gives... but I don't mind a small gap as there is certainly some function there.

I also plan on installing a set of 18" BBS CH-R (square 18x8) with Conti DWS 225/40/R18 tires when I do the suspension.

So my questions are:

1) If I go Bilstein B8 and Eibach Pro Kit, am I understanding correctly that if you buy the x-drive specific Bilstein and the RWD specific Eibach springs?
2) Does anyone have any pictures of this exact set up on a 335xi with 18" rims? (I have seen a few others out there that are close... but some are using Bilstein B6 and others have 19" wheels... I would love to get a feel for what I am going for if possible)
3) At what point do I forego the struts/shocks and buy coilovers and dial it in to be exactly where I want it to be?
4) When installing suspension (coils or struts/shocks) does it make sense to replace all of the mounting hardware and other suspension components too (control arms, end links, sway bars, bushings, etc..)? I have seen 'refresh kits' on ECS tuning...

Thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
RLe92335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i AWD

Garage List
2010 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Amen to this, I have similar questions. Looking forward to responses and hopefully some pics!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump

Anyone with Bilstein B8 and Eibach Pro springs on an LCI E90 335xi?
      07-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Garage List
I don't know about the suspension stuff, but you might wanna look into the wheel sizes some more. You can do 18x9 ET30 with 255/35/R18 square, easily. I run a 9 inch wheel with 255s at the track all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp in HS

Hey all,
I have 2011 335 xi as well on 19" M313 rims. I am painfully considering ST coilovers versus dinan/Koni FSD set up.

The Dinan spring set up will be more balanced for daily driving and some odd track days I do.

But I'm wondering if the coilovers will do a better performing job. Or will they be too low at max ride height (I saw another post re that).

Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker3 View Post
Hey guys... first new thread here on the forum... I have tried to do my research before posting but if this has already been discussed please let me know.

I have a 2011 335xi and I just hit 125k miles. The car has always driven very well for me, but in the near future (<12 months) I'll be looking to get a new suspension in hopes of driving it at least another 125k!!

I have seen numerous threads on here about aftermarket suspension options and there are certainly a lot of opinions and combinations out there for this car. Most recently I was exploring the idea of Bilstein B8 and Eibach Pro Kit (specifically via this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664385) but I couldn't get a good feel for how 'low' the XI's look and ride with this set up. Most of the pictures seem to be quite different from one person to the next - or simply not that clear - and without indication of exactly what parts they used.

Ultimately, I would like to see the car drop lower to get rid of the rather high ride height that the stock XI gives... but I don't mind a small gap as there is certainly some function there.

I also plan on installing a set of 18" BBS CH-R (square 18x8) with Conti DWS 225/40/R18 tires when I do the suspension.

So my questions are:

1) If I go Bilstein B8 and Eibach Pro Kit, am I understanding correctly that if you buy the x-drive specific Bilstein and the RWD specific Eibach springs?
2) Does anyone have any pictures of this exact set up on a 335xi with 18" rims? (I have seen a few others out there that are close... but some are using Bilstein B6 and others have 19" wheels... I would love to get a feel for what I am going for if possible)
3) At what point do I forego the struts/shocks and buy coilovers and dial it in to be exactly where I want it to be?
4) When installing suspension (coils or struts/shocks) does it make sense to replace all of the mounting hardware and other suspension components too (control arms, end links, sway bars, bushings, etc..)? I have seen 'refresh kits' on ECS tuning...

Thanks for the input

1. Yes.
2. You want B8 with Eibachs. It will lower your car about 1.25", a bit less in back, which is perfect.
3. You get coilovers if you want to be able to adjust the height. Otherwise get shocks/springs.
4. I do not recommend replacing all the end links, rie rods, and bushings at same time. It is better to do shocks/springs first to see how it improved your ride, then do the other items. otherwise you will not know what did what. However, I HIGHLY recommend you do not just buy shocks and springs, but get a compelte suspension kit that replaces your strut mounts, bumpstops, spring pads, mounts, etc. You need to do this at your year and mileage. It is not an option, so you might as well get an pre-assembled kit. Here is what the B8/Eibach looks like:

Name:  bilstein kit basic.JPG small.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  265.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@strutmonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker3 View Post

So my questions are:

Thanks for the input

1. Yes.
2. You want B8 with Eibachs. It will lower your car about 1.25", a bit less in back, which is perfect.
3. You get coilovers if you want to be able to adjust the height. Otherwise get shocks/springs.
4. I do not recommend replacing all the end links, rie rods, and bushings at same time. It is better to do shocks/springs first to see how it improved your ride, then do the other items. otherwise you will not know what did what. However, I HIGHLY recommend you do not just buy shocks and springs, but get a compelte suspension kit that replaces your strut mounts, bumpstops, spring pads, mounts, etc. You need to do this at your year and mileage. It is not an option, so you might as well get an pre-assembled kit. Here is what the B8/Eibach looks like:

Attachment 1665242
Thank you for this... exactly what I was looking for.

I have managed to find some others running an 18" square set up on Eibach springs (struts unknown) and the drop looks great.
      08-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I run square setup on 18s as well. 245-40-18. Eibach springs/B8 shocks.

Name:  my car.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  650.3 KB
Appreciate 1