E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Blower motor issues.. Possibly avoided a fire

07-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Blower motor issues.. Possibly avoided a fire

Guys, i've been having a very intermittent issue with my blower motor not working. Basically the controls would all light up and show full fan speed but actual fan speed was nonexistent..I would get nothing. And then randomly it would work out of the blue. I found this thread on M3Post talking about the same issue. So then I investigated.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1004338&page=2

I ended up finding the exact issue that the OP over there posted. I found my wire to be melted exactly like the OP, brittle, and VERY HOT after running the blower full speed after just a few seconds. You can actually see where it started to burn both the wire next to it and the insulation on the covering panel. Attached are some pics;

What can I do to fix this? Where do I buy new connectors? What about the wire themselves?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Where is this wire located? I have the urge to check mine now that I've seen this.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Where is this wire located? I have the urge to check mine now that I've seen this.
Turns out this is common on these cars actually. Ive seen a few threads on it so far.

Its located under the glove box. Theres a plastic panel with 2 screws holding it up, then it drops down. Disconnect the footwell light and the cig lighter if you have one there and then look at the bottom of the blower.
Appreciate 1
Donutz139.50
      07-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thank you. I'll have a look. Potentially scary stuff...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
jagjitnatt
Rep
Drives: SX4

I had the same issue on mine, the blower stopped working completely after a heavy rain. It turned out that water seeps into the blower motor and then onto the resister and this wire. This corrodes the wire and can cause a short. I simply dried it and cleaned the wire, it started working again
Appreciate 0