E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Route of ABS cable on front strut

07-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Route of ABS cable on front strut

Hi all - I have completed my M3 conversion/ground control coil over kit installation. I ran into a minor snag for the ABS cable. I took pictures before disconnecting the cables to get the correct route ( i thought). The cable has to be pulled pretty tight to get it clipped into bracket that is just inboard of strut housing. I was reading the sway bar angle thread and saw something for an alternative routing that may relieve the cable stress as it exists the inboard face of steering knuckle.
1st picture: Here are picture of my OEM cable prior to me taking it off and after routing it around the Ground Control strut housing. Notice how the GC strut housing is fatter just above the clevis. The cable is not clipped to inboard bracket in the GC picture (on the right). So this ABS cable config isn't stressed. When I clip it into bracket, the cable is almost straight up from the inboard face of knuckle.

2nd picture: left side is picture from OP asking about his sway bar but i noticed his ABS cable is running under the strut rather than around the outboard side. Is this okay/safe? In same sway bar angle thread, Feuer showed another picture but the ABS cable is run the same as my OEM strut cable pic around the outboard side. When i clip into the bracket that is mounted at clevis, my cable has to be pulled hard to get the grommet into the yoke of the bracket with the GC strut housing.

I noticed the GC strut housing is fatter than the OEM housing at just above the clevis. It is a stop manufactured into the housing. It causes cable to run a longer route. I have it clipped in right now but would like to relieve the stress point by going underneath if that is okay/safe. thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

3th photo is incorrect. 4th with yellow Koni is my car. https://cdn.thebuildjournal.com/wp-c...tall-diy-5.jpg ABS cable goes in the lower opening on the bracket. The higher one on top is for the brake pad sensor.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks. I checked a 2012 E92 at local car lot and it had same route around outboard side of strut. I guess the cable just runs tight then.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Correct. Left gets tighter when turning right and vise versa. Tried to PM you this but inbox was full.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Correct. Left gets tighter when turning right and vise versa. Tried to PM you this but inbox was full.
Inbox cleared out a little now. I understand the "slack area" of the run between the inboard cable yokes and outboard cable yokes varying in how tight it is based on steering wheel angle. I was referring to the cable being too tight at spot where cable comes out of the knuckle at very beginning of run. I guess it is just tight there.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Inbox cleared out a little now. I understand the "slack area" of the run between the inboard cable yokes and outboard cable yokes varying in how tight it is based on steering wheel angle. I was referring to the cable being too tight at spot where cable comes out of the knuckle at very beginning of run. I guess it is just tight there.
Is tight, that how it is. I don't know the reason for it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0