E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Injector Code Help

07-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
goblue30093
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i - Purple

Injector Code Help

Back Story:

I was getting lean and rich codes, misfires, black smoke to start on wot, etc. I thought the plugs were bad so i changed those (ngk). Some of them smelled like gas. That did not fix the problem. So I took it to bmw for diagnostic and a hope to get injectors repaired for free under faulty injector warranty (did not happen). They didn't replace them, but they said they were most likely bad and needed to be replaced as they were index 5. So I bought some refurbished index 12 injectors last week along with new coil packs.

I replaced all injectors and coil packs last weekend. I did the update in INPA as seen on various DIY's. I noticed that the 2nd column in INPA had exclamation points next to them.. wasn't sure why (still don't). I drove the car and everything was fine, no check engine light, drove good, etc.

Fast forward a couple of days and the SES light comes back on. This time with a 30BE code of fuel injector calibration. Not sure what that means other than maybe the numbers i put in INPA were wrong. Also when JB4 is turned on I still get the black smoke when the pedal hits the floor. Do not have this issue when JB4 is off. In both instances the car feels like it drives fine.

Today I rechecked the INPA numbers and they are all correct (albeit rounded which seems normal). Any ideas? I am posting a few screenshots/pictures too. Notice the "!" in the red box area. JB4 settings are what i had originally, i have since changed those to the default ones posted on n54tech

Car info...
E92 N54, JB4, vrsf charge pipe with bov, vrsf intercooler, exhaust, AFE air intake

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Vrsf fmic, vrsf charge pipe with bov, vrsf catless down pipes, afe intake, manzo exhaust, bms jb4, bms cowl filters, bms oil cooler valve, 19" Konig Oversteer wheels, wrapped up, hood vents, carbon fiber wing, custom headlights, air lift v2 airbag system
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Pretty sure fuel bias should be set to 0s if it's a G5 ISO unless you have PI or Terry changed something else...again. TMAP needs to be set appropriately as does ignition timing logging. Who knows what else is/isn't set properly. You need to go through all interface and dash settings to make sure everything is correct. Make sure the correct dash menu 4 option is set if you are using/not using a BEF.

Also, make sure you put the decimals in the correct places when programming INPA.
Energy Calibration = xx.x
Flow Calibration = x.xx
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #3
goblue30093
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Terry said that he didn't see any issues with the jb4 settings. I put the tmap at one and got a bunch of codes. Should it be 2? Which timing setting?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Your flow values seem high, any injector I've ever seen usually starts with a 2.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
RSL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue30093 View Post
Terry said that he didn't see any issues with the jb4 settings. I put the tmap at one and got a bunch of codes. Should it be 2? Which timing setting?
He did? OK. Do you have 3.5 or 4 bar MAP? If not, set it 0. Set 6 cyl timing logging to match your rom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
Your flow values seem high, any injector I've ever seen usually starts with a 2.
Good eye. I've seen 1-2, not sure I've ever seen a 3.

Pull your engine cover and take pics of the values on the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
goblue30093
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

will make adjustments and take pictures right now. thanks.
Vrsf fmic, vrsf charge pipe with bov, vrsf catless down pipes, afe intake, manzo exhaust, bms jb4, bms cowl filters, bms oil cooler valve, 19" Konig Oversteer wheels, wrapped up, hood vents, carbon fiber wing, custom headlights, air lift v2 airbag system
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
goblue30093
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ok, changed tmap to 0, i don't know my rom so i didn't do anything there with the timing. Here are the pictures of a couple of the injectors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
RSL
Captain
Rep

Interesting that they are all 3+. You're getting the ! because the flow calibrations >3 exceeds the scale range. That would follow with never seeing other than 1-2. These injectors are used on a multitude of cars, but BMW may specifically limit the ones they use on these to 1.3-3.0 to work within a range programmed in the DME. If INPA sees the values exceeding, the DME does as well and is probably what's causing those codes. It may also be running in open loop/safety because of it.

It may come down to those injector values just won't work properly with the DME. If the place you bought from has a return policy, might consider replacing and specifically ask for injectors in the 1.3-2.99 range only, but maybe someone else has another idea/knows or maybe you could get confirmation from an actual BMW tech. I'm really not sure what the answer is here, sorry.

I'm not clear on what impact "refurbishing" has on them either, but injectors are tested and calibrated when built to match their specific characteristics. If the process effects any of that, the specs printed on them are no longer valid.

If it's 2009, it's probably IJE0S. That one is just to enable timing logging on all 6 cylinders, it won't have any impact on operation.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
goblue30093
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That makes sense. I appreciate your help. I have reached out to the company I purchased from about doing an exchange for injectors with those numbers in the 2's and still index 12.

You guys rock.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
goblue30093
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

contacted the people i bought the injectors from and they are sending new ones with a 2xx number on it. hopefully this will fix the issue. i will keep you guys posted. thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:54 AM   #11
RSL
Captain
Rep

I hope that was it, seems logical though. Will definitely be curious of the outcome...
Appreciate 0