E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2011 335D Engine Swap = Cranks, No Start

07-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
StaciL
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

2011 335D Engine Swap = Cranks, No Start

A very long story made short...I bought a car that had taken water in and bent a connecting rod on auction.

The engine has been swapped with one that was running prior to removal, the original DDE has been tuned by JR Auto, and water injection has been installed.

The car cranks but will not start at all. All accessories work and while there are a couple minor codes, there are no fault codes that point to why the engine won't start. The ECUs are all original to the car and are working together, ISNs match etc so it's not that. The injectors are properly coded (original to the car, not the engine and are in the same positions).

Can anyone think of a place I should start? I'm going to try to bleed the fuel lines tonight but am unsure of what else I can check.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciL View Post
A very long story made short...I bought a car that had taken water in and bent a connecting rod on auction.

The engine has been swapped with one that was running prior to removal, the original DDE has been tuned by JR Auto, and water injection has been installed.

The car cranks but will not start at all. All accessories work and while there are a couple minor codes, there are no fault codes that point to why the engine won't start. The ECUs are all original to the car and are working together, ISNs match etc so it's not that. The injectors are properly coded (original to the car, not the engine and are in the same positions).

Can anyone think of a place I should start? I'm going to try to bleed the fuel lines tonight but am unsure of what else I can check.
Id be willing to bet its that the hpfp wont prime... take a look at my hpfp post, there is a procedure on using INPA to prime it
Appreciate 1
StaciL6.50
      07-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
StaciL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Id be willing to bet its that the hpfp wont prime... take a look at my hpfp post, there is a procedure on using INPA to prime it
Thank you! I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure how to search for it or do I just browse your posts?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
StaciL
Rep

Okay I used Rheingold to prime the pump for 3 minutes but no change :/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Okay I used Rheingold to prime the pump for 3 minutes but no change :/
Hmm...well make sure you are getting fuel TO the hpfp I guess by unhooking the hose and letting it run out into a bucket....

Other than that..its gotta be priming that hpfp...
Appreciate 1
StaciL6.50
      07-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure how to search for it or do I just browse your posts?
"Search this Forum"..... "hpfp"... and it should be one of the top ones....

But heres the link I was going to give you....that said.... Im sure you already did this....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...2#post21754742
Appreciate 1
StaciL6.50
      07-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Might be covered already, but was the DDE recently reconnected. If so, try re-seating the connections on the DDE as it is an item you mention and can cause a no start.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
StaciL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Might be covered already, but was the DDE recently reconnected. If so, try re-seating the connections on the DDE as it is an item you mention and can cause a no start.
Thanks, yes I did try reseating them twice with the battery disconnected and no change. When I run Rheingold it connects to modules fine, so I'm assuming based on that also that there isn't a communication issue
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
StaciL
Rep

SUCCESS!

Ran the bleeding function in Rheingold twice with no change, took off one of the lines that run from the rail to the injectors and no fuel leaked out. So...no fuel getting to the injectors.

We manually pumped some diesel into the rail until it wouldn't take anymore and the car started up after about ten seconds!

Not sure if it was the adding of fuel that got the pump working (primed) or just the fact that we cranked it over enough times, but whatever it was worked and the car runs. Thanks for the help!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

^ good to hear. If the rail is dry it takes a bit to get her going, even with priming the system.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
SUCCESS!

Ran the bleeding function in Rheingold twice with no change, took off one of the lines that run from the rail to the injectors and no fuel leaked out. So...no fuel getting to the injectors.

We manually pumped some diesel into the rail until it wouldn't take anymore and the car started up after about ten seconds!

Not sure if it was the adding of fuel that got the pump working (primed) or just the fact that we cranked it over enough times, but whatever it was worked and the car runs. Thanks for the help!!
So how did you manually pump diesel into the rail? Can you be a bit more specific on how you did it?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
SUCCESS!

Yeah, if the fuel rail was completely empty it's gonna take awhile before you build up enough pressure to get it to fire off. You probably would have gotten it eventually if you continued priming. Either way, glad you got it done.
Appreciate 0