BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Dinan suspension/Spacer recommendation

07-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Dinan suspension/Spacer recommendation

Before I get flamed I have used the search function but haven't yet found a good answer to my question so I figured I'd ask. Installed the Dinan suspension and while Im VERY happy with the ride it looks like a bit of spacer would help based mainly on aesthetics. I'm not looking to go aggressive, would like to keep the no-rub that I have now, and was thinking 12mm up front with 10mm in the back for a flush firmament.

Anyone on here running Dinan suspension dealt with this and what was your solution and results? Looking at both Turner and Macht Snell spacers but am up for any recommondations anyone may have

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcon View Post
Before I get flamed I have used the search function but haven't yet found a good answer to my question so I figured I'd ask. Installed the Dinan suspension and while Im VERY happy with the ride it looks like a bit of spacer would help based mainly on aesthetics. I'm not looking to go aggressive, would like to keep the no-rub that I have now, and was thinking 12mm up front with 10mm in the back for a flush firmament.

Anyone on here running Dinan suspension dealt with this and what was your solution and results? Looking at both Turner and Macht Snell spacers but am up for any recommondations anyone may have

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question, sorry.

But I am myself trying to determine which suspension upgrade I should go with for my incoming M2. Other than your spacer issue, how do you rate the suspension in terms of daily driving, aggressive/track driving, adjustability and stance. Do you have any pics of your set up?

Appreciate the input.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      10-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
Bumping this up a lil bit since i would like to hear Dinan suspension input too, especially around the ride comfort.
Appreciate 2
M2OG399.00
rich8566608.50
      10-16-2017, 02:51 AM   #4
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norberts View Post
Bumping this up a lil bit since i would like to hear Dinan suspension input too, especially around the ride comfort.
I had put around 1500 miles on the stock suspension and now around 2K on the Dinan for reference. The overall ride is much improved in my opinion which seems contradictory to what you would think when doing a more "sport" type suspension setup. The only time I feel it a bit more rough would be on the absolute worst road surfaces (construction, non-maintained back roads, alleys, etc) but even then it is not bad. Does it make it a Lexus? No, but the overall ride quality is substantially enhanced in my opinion. Much more flat and planted in the corners and stable at higher speeds (not that I would ever break the speed limit) I wouldn't say night and day but a solid improvement and well worth the cost of admission.

It did lower the car slightly by roughly .75 in front/.40 rear which in my mind is perfect. Many people see it and wonder if it is even lowered....I like that fact. We think the same as I use the F87 as a DD and have a driveway that is rather steep so scraping is an issue for me. My 997 had KW Clubsports on it and is a real bitch to get in and out without either scraping the nose or the exhaust tips and was not something I wanted to deal with on the M2.

Overall I'd say the ride/handling combined improvement would be around 30% Ride/50-60% handling. Hope this gives you some idea
|2017 LBB M2|6 speed|EP|DINAN Suspension|DINAN Free Flow Exhaust|DINAN Carbon CAI|DINAN Sport Tuner Stg 1|12/10mm MACHT SCHNELL Spacers|BMS Clutch Stop|IND Painted reflectors|ACEXXON/IND Rear Reflectors
Appreciate 5
rich8566608.50
M2OG399.00
ryem31041.00
      10-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Agreeing with Transcon, here are my thoughts from a different thread:

Agreed. The Dinan suspension improved the ride around town, allowed me to corner balance the car, and significantly reduced dive, squat, and roll on the track.

The best part is I focus on myself, driving inputs, and being smooth vs spending time thinking about/adjusting suspension. This setup had me running 2:13s at Watkins Glen on RE-71Rs.

Adjustable suspension wouldn't gain you any more time over something like the Dinan setup unless you're a seasoned driver who can fully exploit the limits of the car, knows the track well enough to determine which corners you can pick up time in (while compromising other corners), and you're making adjustments as track conditions change. Even if you fall into this camp (most of us don't), there are other areas where much more time can be had.
Appreciate 3
      10-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #6
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
Thanks guys, this is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I had put around 1500 miles on the stock suspension and now around 2K on the Dinan for reference. The overall ride is much improved in my opinion which seems contradictory to what you would think when doing a more "sport" type suspension setup. The only time I feel it a bit more rough would be on the absolute worst road surfaces (construction, non-maintained back roads, alleys, etc) but even then it is not bad. Does it make it a Lexus? No, but the overall ride quality is substantially enhanced in my opinion. Much more flat and planted in the corners and stable at higher speeds (not that I would ever break the speed limit) I wouldn't say night and day but a solid improvement and well worth the cost of admission.

It did lower the car slightly by roughly .75 in front/.40 rear which in my mind is perfect. Many people see it and wonder if it is even lowered....I like that fact. We think the same as I use the F87 as a DD and have a driveway that is rather steep so scraping is an issue for me. My 997 had KW Clubsports on it and is a real bitch to get in and out without either scraping the nose or the exhaust tips and was not something I wanted to deal with on the M2.

Overall I'd say the ride/handling combined improvement would be around 30% Ride/50-60% handling. Hope this gives you some idea
Are you going to the Malibu drive next weekend? Would like to check out the Dinan setup in person. I agree w/ all your points about the suspension and am interested in these. I do think the stock ride is fine though - its not too firm for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
Are you going to the Malibu drive next weekend? Would like to check out the Dinan setup in person. I agree w/ all your points about the suspension and am interested in these. I do think the stock ride is fine though - its not too firm for me.
Sorry I missed this, got stuck on the east coast with work and missed the Malibu drive. If you are ever down in South Orange County send me a PM and Ill be happy to meet up if you want to take a look
|2017 LBB M2|6 speed|EP|DINAN Suspension|DINAN Free Flow Exhaust|DINAN Carbon CAI|DINAN Sport Tuner Stg 1|12/10mm MACHT SCHNELL Spacers|BMS Clutch Stop|IND Painted reflectors|ACEXXON/IND Rear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
It did lower the car slightly by roughly .75 in front/.40 rear which in my mind is perfect.
Any reason why Dinan recommends a lower front setting vs rear? I think the car already looks aggressive and I would rather have an even drop than that raked, wedge look. Of course the drop is not too aggressive at all, which I like as well for a DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Any reason why Dinan recommends a lower front setting vs rear? I think the car already looks aggressive and I would rather have an even drop than that raked, wedge look. Of course the drop is not too aggressive at all, which I like as well for a DD.
I think it’s more related to Max drop while still keeping a civil ride.

I went the other way and set the rear 10mm lower than the front and then did a corner balance. This is more of a track setup for more weight transfer to the rear for more rear grip.

I started with a 25mm rear drop, but that was too aggressive. The ride was rough and I would bottom out on large bumps. Set it to a 20mm drop and the car rides good and hooks up great in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I think it’s more related to Max drop while still keeping a civil ride.

I went the other way and set the rear 10mm lower than the front and then did a corner balance. This is more of a track setup for more weight transfer to the rear for more rear grip.

I started with a 25mm rear drop, but that was too aggressive. The ride was rough and I would bottom out on large bumps. Set it to a 20mm drop and the car rides good and hooks up great in the rear.
Are you saying your front is 10mm? Curious on why changing the elevation geometry from front to back is a thing. I would think an even drop is ideal
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you saying your front is 10mm? Curious on why changing the elevation geometry from front to back is a thing. I would think an even drop is ideal
Moved front to 13mm (1/2in) drop.

Most people lower just for looks and go with OEM rake or flat.

If you track a front engined car, it helps to lower the rear more to help with weight transfer and traction. Doesn’t do much if only driving on the street.
Appreciate 1
geogerf115.50
      12-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Moved front to 13mm (1/2in) drop.

Most people lower just for looks and go with OEM rake or flat.

If you track a front engined car, it helps to lower the rear more to help with weight transfer and traction. Doesn’t do much if only driving on the street.
Thanks. Yeah I think you’re right, it keeps the front and rear balanced when accelerating or just moving. I will be doing the recommended set up this weekend .75” front/ .5” rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #14
robstahl
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e46 m3

Hey there I have a 2021 M2 Comp and Im trying to compare the Dinan with the MP Coilovers. I got a ride in a car with the MPC and the rear end felt more planted, but had that lowered car feel when driving casually.
Im in Marina Del Rey, but would drive to you.
Thanks in advance
Rob
Appreciate 0