Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > RWD Staggered vs Square

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
RWD Staggered vs Square

I know this subject has been covered numerous times, but I've read about two dozen threads and most only deal with Xi models and the rest are vague, so I'll post here and see if I can get the answers I'm looking for.

I'm finding myself in a unique position. currently, on my E90 LCI 335i w/Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg & the BMW Power Kit, I am running a staggered set of 230 wheels (19x8 et37 front w/10mm spacer & 19x9 et39 w/5mm spacer). My suspension is the Eibach Pro Kit w/Koni STR.T shocks. I'm currently on RFT's, but I just got a pair of PSS rears (255/30-19) but haven't installed them yet.

At this time, I just acquired another set of staggered 230 rims and the thought occurred to me that I could take the rears from the new set and run a square setup (19x9 et39 w/255/30-19 all around).

So, here are my questions:

1. I know that this would help eliminate the understeer and possibly induce oversteer, but is there a downside to this setup aside from also possibly introducing tramlining? I drive on the freeways and rough roads often so this could be a factor.

2. IT's said that this setup is better for handling (I'd rather have the handling since I also drive a lot of canyon & mountain roads). Is this true and is there a tradeoff somewhere because I've also read that I would also lose turn in and steering response?

3. I plan on continuing to run the spacer in the rear (unless it starts to rub the fender since the PSS tires are a bit more meaty), and will run a spacer up front if needed to push the tires out more flush, but is there any clearance issues that I need to know about?

4. In general, would I be better off staying w/staggered setup or changing it up?

I'm hoping to hear from people that have tried both and have honest A & B comparisions, but anyone who has some knowledge/experience on this, please chime in.

Thanks!!!
      08-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

255 is not wide enough to tramline much, tire choice has more impact on that in my experience. I think that would be a good setup, and allow you to rotate tires. And if you've ever autocross, you'd find that the small front tire size is a massive issue, making you have to drive the car very precise, with the wider front tires, you can hamfist it a bit more, and keep your line without understeering.
      08-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
255 is not wide enough to tramline much, tire choice has more impact on that in my experience. I think that would be a good setup, and allow you to rotate tires. And if you've ever autocross, you'd find that the small front tire size is a massive issue, making you have to drive the car very precise, with the wider front tires, you can hamfist it a bit more, and keep your line without understeering.
I've heard that the PSS tires are pretty stable, so I'm hoping that's the case.
      08-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You already have the parts to make this happen...try it and see for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
You already have the parts to make this happen...try it and see.
I only have one pair of PSS 255/30-19's. And I didn't think that mixing the RFT's with the PSS's was a good idea.

But I am prob going to give it a go. At least I'll get some knowledge and experience out of it. But I was hoping to get as much info as I could before I spend $400 on another pair of 255's since I already have the staggered set of PSS's.