E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Anyone use INPA to diagnose injectors?

08-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
bimmerlove335
Private
Rep
Drives: Black '09 335i

Anyone use INPA to diagnose injectors?

I searched all over google and couldn't find an answer to this and was curious what you guys thought.

Has anyone ever used the rough running feature in INPA to diagnose a bad injector? I've replaced my plugs and coils and I still get seemingly random misfires on startup, then it evens out and runs fine. DME doesn't throw any codes. I'd be interested in seeing if INPA could help me narrow down at least which bank is the issue. I looked at the rough running data and it seemed to point to certain cylinders but I'm not sure on that.

Car has 100k miles and I don't know what injectors have been changed if any.

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Series ID

Can't you just look as the side body of the injector and determine the Series #?
I did change my (07 N54) with the 12 Series injectors but I never got a code thrown. I changed all 6 and coded the flow with the INPA software. I had the BavTech diagnostic tool but it was unable to code.

I would just change all 6 if you plan on keeping the car ~ if they are all original plus each bank is suppose to have the same series piezo.
It is a simple job to DIY -- the coding was hard for me to set-up but simple once the program was running. I think my Foxwell OBD will do this.
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
bimmerlove335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Can't you just look as the side body of the injector and determine the Series #?
I did change my (07 N54) with the 12 Series injectors but I never got a code thrown. I changed all 6 and coded the flow with the INPA software. I had the BavTech diagnostic tool but it was unable to code.

I would just change all 6 if you plan on keeping the car ~ if they are all original plus each bank is suppose to have the same series piezo.
It is a simple job to DIY -- the coding was hard for me to set-up but simple once the program was running. I think my Foxwell OBD will do this.
Good Luck
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm able to look I just haven't done it yet. Coding and replacing the injectors would not be a problem for me, its just an issue of spending the money or not. I'm a college student getting ready to go back to school in the fall and I can't really justify purchasing all 6 injectors if I don't need to. If money was not an issue I would just replace them all.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Fcp euro has index 12s for $125 a piece, lifetime warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
bimmerlove335
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazie1 View Post
Fcp euro has index 12s for $125 a piece, lifetime warranty.
+1 on this. They are an amazing resource.

So I took a look today and it turns out I have all index 11's right now. If only I could figure out which one was bad and just replace it!
Appreciate 0