E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost Leak? Faulty Boost Solenoid? 30FF Code

08-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: M3CX, 335is ST 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Boost Leak? Faulty Boost Solenoid? 30FF Code

Hey, so I was doing a third gear pull last week and got the engine malfunction light with the 30FF code on my JB4 connect kit. I turned the car off and got the code with second and third gear pulls. I was originally hitting around 16psi, then 7-8psi when I first code the codes, and now (just a few days later), I'm consistently hitting 10psi. I'll be going to my shop when they have some time to do a pressure test but until then, I want to narrow down the problem. Not sure if it's a boost solenoid, vacuum lines, charge pipe (not stock), or diverter valves. With partial throttle, the turbos spool quickly and hit around 6psi with ease while making the car feel fairly powerful. Under WOT, boost stays at 10 and the car feels slow. Today I read the codes while hitting 10psi and I'm not getting a 30FF code (auto code clearing is off).

Here's a screenshot of my latest log's graph. I'm unable to send the csv file through this post for some reason
Attached Images

Last edited by uhNexus; 08-08-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Ahaha okay, thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Sounds like you need to do some basic troubleshooting. Always start with a boost leak check with at least whatever your target boost will be. Also it's helpful to make an account over on datazap.me and just link a proper log.

If you pass the boost leak check, start looking at vacuum lines/etc. If you're spooling fine and make low boost easily... but target boost isn't reached then it's definitely classic boost leak symptoms. Don't flog the car with a massive boost leak... just get it done asap.

If you need more help after you get the boost leak done shoot me an email and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Chris
Appreciate 1
uhNexus50.50
      08-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Sounds like you need to do some basic troubleshooting. Always start with a boost leak check with at least whatever your target boost will be. Also it's helpful to make an account over on datazap.me and just link a proper log.

If you pass the boost leak check, start looking at vacuum lines/etc. If you're spooling fine and make low boost easily... but target boost isn't reached then it's definitely classic boost leak symptoms. Don't flog the car with a massive boost leak... just get it done asap.

If you need more help after you get the boost leak done shoot me an email and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Chris
Turned out to be a tear in my MMP outlet Fuck me up
Appreciate 0