E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335 XI UOA - Redline 5w30 versus Total 5w30

08-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

335 XI UOA - Redline 5w30 versus Total 5w30

Hey guys,

A while back I posted the UOA from my 335xi. Then it had 95,677 miles, had been tuned for 25k miles and was using Total 5w30, which is my independent mechanic's standard barrel of choice. Since that time, I had switched to Redline 5w30 and the comparison is shown on the UOA below.

First, note that the OCI is slightly longer on the Redline (shown of the left at 4,511) when compared to the Total (shown on the right at 3,816). With that said, I see two things. First, the Redline shows more iron and copper than does the Total. I understand these items reflect engine wear, but even at the levels shown with the Redline, my car is below the "universal" averages and Blackstone says I can push the OCI up to 6.5K. Also note that I was in the process of changing my tune when the Redline was in the car and it went through many log runs and a dyno day. Still, more wear particles can't be good.... Next, I noticed that the numbers demonstrate the Redline has higher viscosity even after a longer OCI (albeit only 700 more miles).

Subjectively, I "feel" like the motor ran smoother with the Redline, particularly at idle. But, during the Redline OCI, I also replaced O2 sensors, valve cover, valve cover gasket, ALL vacuum lines, radiator & hoses as well as the air filter. It also got a new HPFP and a Fuel-it Stage 1 pump during that OCI. Hence, with all of the work, it may be running just a touch better - notwithstanding oil brand, viscosity, etc..

When I changed out the Redline, I replaced it with Motul 5w40. Here again, I feel like the Redline ran just a tad smoother than the new Motul; but, that's hard to measure.

In any event, at over 100K miles, this tuned n54 runs as well as I can remember.

As to Oil temps, both the Redline and Motul stay in the 230s, but can hit 240 when pushed or in stop and go for long periods of time when the temps are over 90*f. I recall numbers slighly higher under similar circumstances with the Total 5w30, but I do not recall the car creeping past 250*.

I'll post up the next UOA with Motul in a few months, so everyone can see the three (Total, Redline and Motul) side-by-side on the same car.

Given these minimal differences, it's unclear whether (as long as OCI is 5K or less) the car benefits much from the fancier/more expensive Redline oil.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?
Attached Images

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0