BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Functionality

08-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2 LBB

Functionality

I wanted to share some of my thoughts about the functionality of the M2's features, but I guess some of them may apply to most F series BMW's - let me know if you agree/disagree/think I'm stupid and should just enjoy driving...

First up, the steering wheel.
I love the fit and feel of the wheel, especially the lower trim, which is a much better addition to the standard MSport wheel's horrible plasticky item. The buttons however, I think need revision. I like the cruise control and limit buttons, however I have 2 missing spaces which would suit the E-series style < and > buttons for changing tracks for the media player. The track wheel I find distracting, I take my eyes off the road to check what track I want. I'd rather it just play the next one to be honest. I think the driving mode could be incorporated into the wheel in place of this. It would be a lot more intuitive. This one might upset people, but I think the voice control is completely useless. It's the same pointless feature as the trackpad on top of the iDrive button.
I also love the thought of an M-Car having less buttons on the wheel, a la E46 CSL and most top Porsche models. It could have a driving mode button and nothing more. Would look awesome in my opinion.

Seats:
I love the seats generally, the adjustable side supports are great, I normally have these fully expanded, in quite a slim guy and I like a "racy" tight fit in the seat. I don't like how the angle of the headrest is completely unadjustable. It's too far back for long journeys to rest upon.

Side mirrors.
Why oh why BMW have you removed the age old feature of having the tilting kerb side mirror when reversing on all cars without certain options? I don't want heavy electric seats or fancy folding mirrors, I just want to help myself to not smash my lovely wheels on the horrible UK kerbsides. Also, in 2017, why the hell has no one devised a side mirror that is sealed from water ingress? I hate having to go through a nonsense process to try and clear all the water from the mirror when washing the car. Inevitably I don't get it all, so over the next few hours it constantly dribbles out everywhere. Sort it out BMW!

Upper door seals and dropping windows.
Does anyone else get the smearing after a few days due to the window dropping when you open the door? I get the glass has to drop, that's fine, but why does the seal have to leave a cruddy mark every time, which then for some reason solidifies and looks awful? Maybe it's just me but I can't find a solution to this. Also sort of door related - why no M2 logo on the door sill trim? It can't cost that much surely? The M240i and M140i gets them so why can't the M2? Don't give me the cost excuse, it costs bugger all really.

iPhone integration.
It's pretty good, but not perfect. I've had it drop out a couple of times and I've had to 'forget' the device and re-connect. Playing Apple Music isn't brilliant, as you need to use your phone to search for music.
While I'm on iPhones - has anyone else ever experienced "slow mo" Bluetooth calls? I've had a few, where the callers voice is slowed down and has a much lower tone. It's hilarious and has me laughing each time, but it bugs me as well as I have to cancel and remake the call, then it's fine. So weird...

Flickr app.
Why???

Nav:
Why would you ever have to zoom all the way out to see the entire planet earth?? Completely pointless. Secondly, the trackpad is quite sensitive, if I accidentally touch it, (it's a 6MT) the nav position stays in place, I don't notice this immediately so I have to return the nav to current position, which is distracting.

Auto windscreen wipers.
Either far too sensitive and fly across the screen at warp speed in slight drizzle, or not on enough, no matter what setting you have the wheel at.

Brakes/Black wheels.
When washing, the brake discs seem to fill up with rusty water - the second you move your beautifully washed car, the black wheels are ruined immediately. I'm yet to find a solution to this, apart from wiping them down as a final job. The brakes do a crap job of keeping the wheels looking remotely clean too, the brake dust build up is immense. I'll be changing these pads soon for something that produces less dust, if I can find some.

That's enough for now, I've had the car since March, and literally loved every drive and every moment I've looked at it, so all of the above yes, are flaws, but they don't detract from how fantastic the car is to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibbersicks View Post
Auto windscreen wipers.
Either far too sensitive and fly across the screen at warp speed in slight drizzle, or not on enough, no matter what setting you have the wheel at.

Brakes/Black wheels.
When washing, the brake discs seem to fill up with rusty water - the second you move your beautifully washed car, the black wheels are ruined immediately. I'm yet to find a solution to this, apart from wiping them down as a final job. The brakes do a crap job of keeping the wheels looking remotely clean too, the brake dust build up is immense. I'll be changing these pads soon for something that produces less dust, if I can find some.
These are actually two things that I have also noticed. The wipers are either far too sensitive, or as you say, not enough! Theres nothing in between the two.

I have noticed a coding option in the bimmercode app that allows the sensitivity to be changed, I may reduce its sensitivity and see what happens.

If you find a solution for the massive amounts of brake dust build up, I would be most grateful if you could share it!
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

I don't know about in the U.K. but in the U.S. the passenger side mirror does tilt in reverse, if the mirror switch is set to the driver side.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #4
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweeds78 View Post
I don't know about in the U.K. but in the U.S. the passenger side mirror does tilt in reverse, if the mirror switch is set to the driver side.
Do you have electric folding mirrors or electric seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Totally agree with the next track buttons on the steering wheel. Every other BMW I've had had them. It drives me nuts having to use the scroll wheel.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I have both. The only M2s in the States without electric seats are the performance edition versions.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I have both. The only M2s in the States without electric seats are the performance edition versions.
This will be why then. Here in the UK you can spec them without, hence why these cars don't have the tilting mirror...
It drives me nuts, the motor is there as it's used for adjustment on the button!!
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
This will be why then. Here in the UK you can spec them without, hence why these cars don't have the tilting mirror...
It drives me nuts, the motor is there as it's used for adjustment on the button!!
Get the Bimmercode app you can probably code it in so they tilt on reverse even in your region.

As far as folding mirrors, I love the feature AFTER coding in that they fold on lock, because then I know I the car is locked when looking at it. Also less chance someone knocks them off the car when folded.

Water getting under the mirror when washing is annoying, always trying to dry that so that it doesn't drip on anything.

I have given up on the wheels. I pretty much just spray them down with water then wash the car. They are a pain to clean and don't stay clean very long. Dirty wheels don't bother me much I guess.

The voice control system works shockingly well for me. I don't use it all the time but when I do it seems to always works even when I expect it not to. I love being able to just shut off navigation or have it jump to Satellite radio Station of my choosing without having to fiddle with menus or take my eyes off the road.

As far as more M logos, I don't really care either way I guess.

Wish the leather on the seats was nicer. Hate that the carbon fiber looks fake as fuck and it's easy to chip or scratch. Don't like the plastic behind the carbon fiber handles on the door, just feels bad when I put my hand on it. Don't like not having oil temp on pre LCI. Small gas tank is annoying. The rear view mirror seems small and I find myself having to move my head depending on how I am sitting to see what I want. Wish there was a way to get MDM + Sport throttle. First gear is annoyingly short. Wireless phone charger just reduces storage space. No sync for dual climate control sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
Totally agree with the next track buttons on the steering wheel. Every other BMW I've had had them. It drives me nuts having to use the scroll wheel.
Same here, wish there were next/back track buttons on the steering wheel...and to add to the frustration, the next/back buttons are on the far side of the headunit....reaching over is a pain in the butt...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Don't get what's hard about next track. Scroll down and click, or up and click, click again within 4 seconds to keep skipping tracks. Easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:08 AM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I don't even have the car yet, but I wish the volume was on the left side of the wheel instead of the right. My right hand is for shifting...

The track changing being on a wheel won't bother me though, used to that garbage from Audi.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #12
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The steering wheel controls are a mess. Why place the cruise in SW. The little stalk available for so long worked perfectly. No nee to look or anything just touch it.

The preset buttons are also weird. They don't take you really back to where they are programmed.

Cannot clear call logs.

Too many stupid icons on the instrument cluster. Do I really need one that tell me the headlights are on. Let's not even talk about the obnoxious high beam icon.

These are all just picky items. To me it is still about performance. In this, the car is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
So let me get this straight...you don't want to pay for electric folding mirrors, but yet expect the cheaper mirrors to auto-tilt on their own and have the same features? That's like getting the regular LEDs and expecting them to be adaptive; you get what you paid for.

Also, this lack of tilting was discussed in exhausting detail even before the M2 came out, so there was lots of information available.

And last but not least, have you tried coding it to see if the option is there but just disabled? If not, maybe give that a shot or try to find someone else with a similar car who has.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:24 PM   #14
Cibbersicks
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:
So let me get this straight...you don't want to pay for electric folding mirrors, but yet expect the cheaper mirrors to auto-tilt on their own and have the same features? That's like getting the regular LEDs and expecting them to be adaptive; you get what you paid for.

Also, this lack of tilting was discussed in exhausting detail even before the M2 came out, so there was lots of information available.

And last but not least, have you tried coding it to see if the option is there but just disabled? If not, maybe give that a shot or try to find someone else with a similar car who has.
You haven't got it "straight" at all - let me make it a little clearer to understand if you're struggling.

Considering it used to be a standard feature on every single BMW with or without folding mirrors - I do think it it unreasonable the feature is disabled, given the motors are already in place and functional during mirror adjustment. And to satisfy you, yes, I have tried coding it, unfortunately to no avail.

As for it being discussed about the M2 - this is really a general complaint about modern BMW's - they've removed a standard feature across the range over time which was very helpful and convenient. And for the record, I am not a tight individual who didn't want to "pay for folding mirrors" - I just personally don't find it a particularly useful feature - it makes the car a couple of inches narrower. If someone wants to ding your car, they'll ding you car, whether your mirrors are folded in or not. I do my absolute best to park well away from these morons which incidentally doesn't cost me a penny.

Forgive my directness, however I didn't find your intended tone very polite to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #15
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
You haven't got it "straight" at all - let me make it a little clearer to understand if you're struggling.

Considering it used to be a standard feature on every single BMW with or without folding mirrors - I do think it it unreasonable the feature is disabled, given the motors are already in place and functional during mirror adjustment. And to satisfy you, yes, I have tried coding it, unfortunately to no avail.

As for it being discussed about the M2 - this is really a general complaint about modern BMW's - they've removed a standard feature across the range over time which was very helpful and convenient. And for the record, I am not a tight individual who didn't want to "pay for folding mirrors" - I just personally don't find it a particularly useful feature - it makes the car a couple of inches narrower. If someone wants to ding your car, they'll ding you car, whether your mirrors are folded in or not. I do my absolute best to park well away from these morons which incidentally doesn't cost me a penny.

Forgive my directness, however I didn't find your intended tone very polite to be honest.
But that is my point - it's now a paid feature, not a standard one. We can all be upset and complain about how in the good old days it came with this or that, but the reality of the newer cars is that they don't have them. So, the way I see it, if it's a feature that would bother me throughout ownership not to have (say like heated seats are for me living in Canada), and if the cost is not unreasonable, why not pay for it? Instead of looking at paying for mirrors that make the car narrower, you could look at it as paying for the tilt function which, to me and seems to you as well, is way more useful than shaving a few inches in width.

Now, don't misunderstand that as me being super happy BMW is shaving features off of cars...a lot of manufacturers are doing this and we the customers are the ones getting screwed. I just think that, if you can afford an M2 and a specific feature is important to you, why not just pay the extra fee? Ya it sucks and it's expensive, but at the end of the day, if it makes my ownership experience better, than that's a cost I'm willing to accept.

PS: don't worry about the tone, it's the internet, and I've got some pretty thick skin
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Do I really need one that tell me the headlights are on. Let's not even talk about the obnoxious high beam icon.
So....every car ever?

Your not losing any of those indicators until you hit super car level.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 05:49 AM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

It's a standard feature in the US, but the mirror controls need to be set to move the driver side mirror otherwise the passenger side mirror won't tilt when you are in reverse.

I like the folding mirrors because I know the car is locked just by looking at it because I coded it to fold when locked. Speaking of missing features, sucks that BMW removed the feature to fold on lock, and it has to be coded.
Appreciate 0