E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission, DSC, DBC malfunction and Start Assist disabled

08-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
HMG_E93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Convertible

Transmission, DSC, DBC malfunction and Start Assist disabled

After much searching these past 3 days it seems to point to a steering angle sensor fault but mine has additional symptoms that others weren't having. I don't have a scan tool but one should be in on Sun and hopefully I can get it working. Until then maybe I can get some more info on here.

In addition to the faults I'm getting loss of acceleration and delayed throttle response after the faults. A restart will clear them but the performance loss remains. I've also experience 2 engine stalls, one in Park and other in Drive but stopped at a light. Never had these happen before.

Hard driving in DS and E-Manual won't trigger it. I checked battery voltage and it's at 12.7 with no load and 13.4 when engine is on. No difficulty starting except that one time.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
HMG_E93
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I got the cable working with INPA and got these codes before I did any work on the car.

DME/DDE
29CE
2E19
2A94
2DEB

EGS
578E
581E

DSC
5DEC
5DE1
5DE3
5E1A

The 2a94 and 581e seems to point to a bad crankshaft position sensor so I replaced that last night with an OEM one. However now it's even worst off than before, 5+ seconds to start and immediate limp mode with all the previous faults I was getting. I cleared them with INPA but they come right back on start. These are the codes I'm getting now.

DME - 2a94, 29e1, 29e0
EGS - 578e, 581e
DSC - 5e1a

I think something is still going on with the crankshaft sensor (DOA sensor, bad install, bad wire) according to the DME errors and the 581e. I'll double check things tonight.

Would overtightening cause a problem? I don't think I did cause I was afraid of crushing the o-ring but I did tighten it more than the original. The harness looks good as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
HMG_E93
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't know if it was because I disconnected the battery or did a bad install the first time but the problems are gone. What I did was I cleared the codes, disconnected the battery and double checked the sensor. I also tighten it until I couldn't anymore. Only code left is 578e for the trans fluid which has not been replaced yet.

This weekend I'll be doing a power steering drain and flush, replacing the reservoir and replacing the trans mounts. If I feel like being nice then I'll probably do the trans fluid and filter before selling the car.

Tip: You can reach the sensor from underneath (might not for 335i and ix). Remove the undercarriage cover and the metal shield protecting the fuel and brake lines on the driver side. Look up through the gap and you'll see 3 wire looms, the smallest being the one for the sensor. It's easier to get to the bolt if you go over the 3 wires. Other diy say its a E8 bolt but I had to use a E10 socket to fit. 1/4" ratchet would be best but a 3/8" will work too.
Appreciate 0