BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Brazilian Voodoo Tailgate

08-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
funits
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 xDrive 28I

Brazilian Voodoo Tailgate

I believe I have the first Brazilian voodoo cursed X1, at least in North America!

2017 made in Brazil X1 with premium package, therefore comfort access (not sure if that is important or not).

OK, I stop at the mailbox at the end of my driveway (long 700+ foot driveway to house) to get the mail. I open the driver's door to get out and leave it open (maybe I shouldn't have done that!). I get the mail (hurray! I get the DVD I have been waiting for from Netflix!).

I close the driver's door (maybe I shouldn't have done that!), and next thing I know the tailgate is opening. Whoa, did I accidentally hit the button in the driver's door? OK, I need to close the tailgate so I press the button in the driver's door to close the tailgate. Nothing happens. I try a couple of times. Finally I hold the button down and eventually the tailgate closes (maybe you are suppose to press and hold the button).

OK, tailgate closed, time to move forward and put the car in "D" drive (maybe I shouldn't have done that!) As soon as the selector is moved to "D", guess what, yes, the tailgate opens! I think I must have tripped and fallen when I got out of the car to get the mail, and I have a concussion and am dreaming this.

OK. I press and hold the button in the door, the tailgate closes. Good. I now proceed to drive up the driveway. Going to put the car in the garage (maybe I shouldn't have done that). To do that, I have to go in reverse. Stop, move the selector to "R" and guess what? Yes, the tailgate comes up! I am pissed. I push and hold the tailgate button in the driver's door, the tailgate closes. I now need to go forward, move selector into "D". You get the picture, the tailgate goes up. I keep driving (I am now MAD), the tailgate stops halfway up while driving into the garage.

I use the button to close the tailgate. Shut the car off and walk away. Of course it is Saturday after 5 pm, so forget about calling the dealership. A few hours later I did use the "kick" to open tailgate maneuver and it worked fine, also closed it with a kick.

I am hoping the next time I start the car it will be fine.

Anyone have an idea of what can cause this? Car has never been in the rain with windows/roof open. No one is allowed to drink in the car, so no spills. No hits/damage.

Of course I will call the dealership Monday morning.

I pretty sure my car has a voodoo curse . . . but I didn't see that on the option list . . .
Appreciate 0