E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 328i Performance Exhaust and Intake

08-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Typhoon707
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 328i Msport

Garage List
Question E92 328i Performance Exhaust and Intake

Hi everyone,
I am looking to install the performance exhaust and intake and I was wondering how much it cost you guys to get the parts and install them.

I've been contacting my dealer for a quote but I want to know what a good or proper price would be.

(USD prices please)
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I don't have a price estimate for you but expect to pay significantly more at a dealership. For both parts and labor.
      08-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon707 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am looking to install the performance exhaust and intake and I was wondering how much it cost you guys to get the parts and install them.

I've been contacting my dealer for a quote but I want to know what a good or proper price would be.

(USD prices please)
Thanks in advance!
I would save your money and maybe just get the BMW Eurobox intake over the PI. The PI looks to be around $1k and I don't think it will offer any real improvements. I would look at the Eurobox intake which is about $530 new (or you can find some used on UK eBay for way cheaper).

For my E90 328xi I paid $909 for the PE and I think something like $530 for the intake. I did the install myself (you can easily do the intake), but think I paid $30 for an exhaust cutter tool. Still have to get my tips in a bit more...

I think most are paying in the $1100 range for exhausts shipped from ECS or Turner. The Eurobox intake is really more expensive than it's worth.

Do you have a tune? For the money on the intake, I'd look at BPC of AA tunes for your 328i. They are expensive, but there will be more gains over the intake in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

pe exhaust - 1100 $
pi - 1000 $
labour - 250 ??
gains : 5 whp , maybe
total 2250 $

charcoal delete and k & n filter 100 $
PE mod - 350
Used 3 stage intake - 300
BPC tune- 700
labour- 200 ( although easily DYI)
total - 1650 $
gains - 25 whp ( roughly)

bonus , AA headers for 600 $ which will be the grand total close to what you are spending for just 2 mods and add another 10-15 whp , so close to 30-35 whp increase , more torque , better acceleration response
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2017, 01:39 AM   #5
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
I would save your money and maybe just get the BMW Eurobox intake over the PI. The PI looks to be around $1k and I don't think it will offer any real improvements. I would look at the Eurobox intake which is about $530 new (or you can find some used on UK eBay for way cheaper).

For my E90 328xi I paid $909 for the PE and I think something like $530 for the intake. I did the install myself (you can easily do the intake), but think I paid $30 for an exhaust cutter tool. Still have to get my tips in a bit more...

I think most are paying in the $1100 range for exhausts shipped from ECS or Turner. The Eurobox intake is really more expensive than it's worth.

Do you have a tune? For the money on the intake, I'd look at BPC of AA tunes for your 328i. They are expensive, but there will be more gains over the intake in my opinion.
Interesting...so are you saying the Eurobox has better performance gains for the price or it has the better performance period?

What do you think about getting used PE or PIs?

I don't have a tune yet. Been thinking of getting one but haven't decided who's tune is better as it seems to be quite debated. I have an N51 engine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
pe exhaust - 1100 $
pi - 1000 $
labour - 250 ??
gains : 5 whp , maybe
total 2250 $

charcoal delete and k & n filter 100 $
PE mod - 350
Used 3 stage intake - 300
BPC tune- 700
labour- 200 ( although easily DYI)
total - 1650 $
gains - 25 whp ( roughly)

bonus , AA headers for 600 $ which will be the grand total close to what you are spending for just 2 mods and add another 10-15 whp , so close to 30-35 whp increase , more torque , better acceleration response
I have the N51 engine (SULEV), so do I already have the 3 stage intake or not?

I live in an apartment and unfortunately do not have a place to do any DIY (not that I know where to begin anyways...)

Thanks for the replies!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Interesting...so are you saying the Eurobox has better performance gains for the price or it has the better performance period?

I don't have a tune yet. Been thinking of getting one but haven't decided who's tune is better as it seems to be quite debated. I have an N51 engine too.
For the price, the Eurobox is the better choice. Performance differences between the two will be negligible. Plus, the North American version of the PI still uses the stupid sandwich construction with the filter between the 2 halves of the airbox, making filter changes a pain in the ass. Eurobox allows you to use a cone filter and makes filter changes a breeze. For what it's worth, I sourced one from the German eBay for $75.

Used PI will still run you probably $700... it's just not worth it unless you've got money to blow and just HAVE to have that shiny CF lid.

Used PE is a great choice though, you can save a bunch of money off of "new" price. They're stainless so rust shouldn't be an issue, and it's not like an exhaust gets worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon707

I live in an apartment and unfortunately do not have a place to do any DIY (not that I know where to begin anyways...)

Thanks for the replies!!
Yeah, you've already got the 3-stage.

Airbox would be an easy DIY install for you, even in a parking lot and with no prior experience. Check the DIY section of the forum, I'm sure you can find a guide there.
      08-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:

Thanks for the replies!!
I think @fravel nailed all the points I would make. The intake options (euro vs PI) are just a lot of money for not really any gains. I get maybe a little more free revs out of the Eurobox, but for $530 I spent, I should have done my suspension first. The one real plus with the Eurobox over our stock or even the PI is that it has a simple top that comes off for filter replacement, where stock and PI you have to pull the whole box out and then separate the two halves (horizontally) for filter changes. Not super hard, but super annoying.

A used PE is a great choice. They don't really wear out, so if you can find one reasonably great. Again, there's not really any gains happening as its more just a cosmetic and audible upgrade.

Regarding the N51, yes you have the 2 stage intake already (mine is also N51), so no need for the 3IM work as you have that already.

I would say definitely find some space and time to start learning how to DIY. The single greatest part of the internet (for me) has been guys doing great DIYs that I can follow. While I'm not a mechanic, I'm very good at following directions and the forums are full of details to help you along the way. It's a joy to do a project yourself, not only from the self accomplishment aspect, but also the money savings!!
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
Typhoon707
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
For the price, the Eurobox is the better choice. Performance differences between the two will be negligible. Plus, the North American version of the PI still uses the stupid sandwich construction with the filter between the 2 halves of the airbox, making filter changes a pain in the ass. Eurobox allows you to use a cone filter and makes filter changes a breeze. For what it's worth, I sourced one from the German eBay for $75.

Used PI will still run you probably $700... it's just not worth it unless you've got money to blow and just HAVE to have that shiny CF lid.

Used PE is a great choice though, you can save a bunch of money off of "new" price. They're stainless so rust shouldn't be an issue, and it's not like an exhaust gets worn out.

Yeah, you've already got the 3-stage.

Airbox would be an easy DIY install for you, even in a parking lot and with no prior experience. Check the DIY section of the forum, I'm sure you can find a guide there.

Oh I see. I'll give the Eurobox a careful look. The carbon fiber on the PI though...

So I guess its a good idea to go for an used PE, but how do I know if the PE is in good condition, especially if I'm to purchase it over the internet?

After asking my dealer whether or not I could source the parts from elsewhere and have them install it, they informed me that the price that way would be higher and that I pretty much could only have it installed through a BMW dealership because they would need to code the parts. Is that true? (the dealership is even claiming the coding would cost $325.00)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
I think @fravel nailed all the points I would make. The intake options (euro vs PI) are just a lot of money for not really any gains. I get maybe a little more free revs out of the Eurobox, but for $530 I spent, I should have done my suspension first. The one real plus with the Eurobox over our stock or even the PI is that it has a simple top that comes off for filter replacement, where stock and PI you have to pull the whole box out and then separate the two halves (horizontally) for filter changes. Not super hard, but super annoying.

A used PE is a great choice. They don't really wear out, so if you can find one reasonably great. Again, there's not really any gains happening as its more just a cosmetic and audible upgrade.

Regarding the N51, yes you have the 2 stage intake already (mine is also N51), so no need for the 3IM work as you have that already.

I would say definitely find some space and time to start learning how to DIY. The single greatest part of the internet (for me) has been guys doing great DIYs that I can follow. While I'm not a mechanic, I'm very good at following directions and the forums are full of details to help you along the way. It's a joy to do a project yourself, not only from the self accomplishment aspect, but also the money savings!!
Are there suspension upgrades for the xDrive?

Yeah I really want to start to DIY but apart from the parking lot, I can't really think of a place to start. Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Oh I see. I'll give the Eurobox a careful look. The carbon fiber on the PI though...

So I guess its a good idea to go for an used PE, but how do I know if the PE is in good condition, especially if I'm to purchase it over the internet?

After asking my dealer whether or not I could source the parts from elsewhere and have them install it, they informed me that the price that way would be higher and that I pretty much could only have it installed through a BMW dealership because they would need to code the parts. Is that true? (the dealership is even claiming the coding would cost $325.00)
I hear ya... the CF is sexy for sure, but I find it hard to justify the price difference for what amounts to an aesthetic upgrade (and one that will only be seen when you open the hood, at that). If it's worth it to you, go for it - but I would highly suggest sourcing a European version of the PI if you go that route so you at least get the benefits of easier filter changes. Seriously - filter changes with the stock airbox suck, it's so much harder than it needs to be.

PE shape - I'd just look for one with pictures. As long as the inlet side is in good shape (circular, not dented) and same with the tips, I don't think you can go wrong.

Lastly, stop going to that dealer, they're trying to rip you off. There's absolutely no coding whatsoever associated with the airbox or the exhaust. If you decide not to DIY the airbox, it shouldn't cost any more than about 1/2 hr of labor to install it - that's it. Any reputable exhaust shop would be able to install the PE either by welding it on or with clamps.
      08-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
M.Etreby
First Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black Sapphire E90 330i

someone is already selling his setup at a good price imo
check the private parts for sale section

F M double Grills, 19"313, Perf.Exhaust with dimisatips, RPI red scoops, K&N filter, LUX-H8 160, Aluminum strut bar, PBX, Perf. Suspension, F30 M-Perf. Brakes
Appreciate 0