E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Golf Tee Exhuast Mod Question

08-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
MSully96
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is M6 Coupe

Golf Tee Exhuast Mod Question

I have done alot of research on this but most information was coming from over 5 years ago. I just unplugged the connector and can notice a difference in sound, will have to test it out driving tomorrow on the way to work.

My question is, now that this "mod" has been "out" for a while, has anyone noticed disconnecting the wire causing any damage to the car/ throw a code that will cause problems down the road? Is the golf tee mod the better way to go and wont cause any damage/problems?

I just got my car and so far have only done dci's and tint.. I dont want to go ruining it or cause issues down the road by doing this. Any issues with a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
e92_stephen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSully96 View Post
I have done alot of research on this but most information was coming from over 5 years ago. I just unplugged the connector and can notice a difference in sound, will have to test it out driving tomorrow on the way to work.

My question is, now that this "mod" has been "out" for a while, has anyone noticed disconnecting the wire causing any damage to the car/ throw a code that will cause problems down the road? Is the golf tee mod the better way to go and wont cause any damage/problems?

I just got my car and so far have only done dci's and tint.. I dont want to go ruining it or cause issues down the road by doing this. Any issues with a dealer?
It may throw a code but I've never heard of it causing any damage. I have it disabled through my JB4
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
Pidipompi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Quote:

No problems for when I had it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
zooch7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:

Have had mine unhooked for 3 years no issues. throws a code but nothing to care about.
Dealership didnt care either.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #5
OlliD
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Jep, it throws a (silent) code, but other than that no harm occured.

Sidenote: Although the regulations (noise, emissions etc) in Germany are very tight, even the dealership smiled at me and fully ignored the fact that the exhaust flapper "does not always its job" ;-)
      08-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

As I recall a few years back when I had this done and the car was at the dealer, the service advisor told me that if I want the flap open, to do a golf tee mod rather than unplugging it. I can't remember exactly his reasoning behind it but something to do with vacuum regulation.

Since then, plugged the trunk connector back in and disconnected the vacuum line and plugged it with a screw.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
MSully96
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds good, thank you all for the updated info. I think Im going to plug it in and do the golf tee. Id rather not mess with anything electronic on the car.. except a tune later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
As I recall a few years back when I had this done and the car was at the dealer, the service advisor told me that if I want the flap open, to do a golf tee mod rather than unplugging it. I can't remember exactly his reasoning behind it but something to do with vacuum regulation.

Since then, plugged the trunk connector back in and disconnected the vacuum line and plugged it with a screw.
I heard it has to do with the hidden code being sent to the ECU since its a connection being interrupted. Since the golf tee or screw in your case is just plugging a vacuum line that simply opens a flap, it doesnt create a code or anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Pidipompi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Quote:
Sounds good, thank you all for the updated info. I think Im going to plug it in and do the golf tee. Id rather not mess with anything electronic on the car.. except a tune later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

I heard it has to do with the hidden code being sent to the ECU since its a connection being interrupted. Since the golf tee or screw in your case is just plugging a vacuum line that simply opens a flap, it doesnt create a code or anything.
You should check this thread out, just recently two people apparently had problems after doing the mod.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80661
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
MSully96
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidipompi View Post
You should check this thread out, just recently two people apparently had problems after doing the mod.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80661
Just read it, and its really mixed, but the problems are few and far between, so Im going to plug it back in and just do the golf tee. I feel like most problems if even related to this mod are from people who left it unplugged.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

I just folded the line and zip-tied it. It's enough to block the pressure going through the line. Have had it like this for 2 years, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

If you have jb4 there is a setting in the indash menu that controls the exhaust flap without throwing any codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned View Post
If you have jb4 there is a setting in the indash menu that controls the exhaust flap without throwing any codes.
False.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
False.
Really because i never gotten any codes from using the CANflap feature on the jb4.
Appreciate 0