E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rough Idle, slight hesitation - Culprit?

08-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

Rough Idle, slight hesitation - Culprit?

Hi everyone, just want to brainstorm about my current rough idle and occassional hesitation under load. The rough idle comes and goes, one day it feels like the car is sitting right over an earthquake, the next it feels fine. After resetting adaptations the car feels brand new for a few days, but the roughness will come back eventually. No trouble codes or misfire codes recorded.

Car has roughly 77,000 miles.

1) Pulled the plugs yesterday, they look perfect, no gasoline smell from leaky injectors. (Injectors were replaced with index 12 last year)
2) All 4 O2s were replaced around May. I had serious idle problems when those actually failed, this feels similar, but not nearly as bad.
3) HPFP went out a couple years ago, symptoms feel similar, but I have not lost power or thrown any trouble codes.
4) Coils are original
5) Walnut blast was done around 40,000 miles ago
6) Occasional puffs of white (slight hint of blue smoke), usually after the car has sat idling for 5-10 minutes or after multiple shorts trips running errands around town. I believe I have oil leaking from the turbo seals or turbo oil lines (this is not the main issue, just giving full background)

I believe the issue is most likely the valves needing another walnut blast, but I want to find out if it is likely the cheaper and easier fix of replacing the coils first. Any other thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Formerly His:'09 335 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Hi everyone, just want to brainstorm about my current rough idle and occassional hesitation under load. The rough idle comes and goes, one day it feels like the car is sitting right over an earthquake, the next it feels fine. After resetting adaptations the car feels brand new for a few days, but the roughness will come back eventually. No trouble codes or misfire codes recorded.

Car has roughly 77,000 miles.

1) Pulled the plugs yesterday, they look perfect, no gasoline smell from leaky injectors. (Injectors were replaced with index 12 last year)
2) All 4 O2s were replaced around May. I had serious idle problems when those actually failed, this feels similar, but not nearly as bad.
3) HPFP went out a couple years ago, symptoms feel similar, but I have not lost power or thrown any trouble codes.
4) Coils are original
5) Walnut blast was done around 40,000 miles ago
6) Occasional puffs of white (slight hint of blue smoke), usually after the car has sat idling for 5-10 minutes or after multiple shorts trips running errands around town. I believe I have oil leaking from the turbo seals or turbo oil lines (this is not the main issue, just giving full background)

I believe the issue is most likely the valves needing another walnut blast, but I want to find out if it is likely the cheaper and easier fix of replacing the coils first. Any other thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
I would get a walnut blast and simply replace coils and plugs to rule those out, plus you seem to be due for it anyways and they are cheap and easy to do.
      08-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

Plugs are about 2 months old, I changed them when I replaced the o2 sensors.

Coils and Walnut Blast are the two items I suspect will solve the issue, I was just hoping to get a consensus on which is most likely the problem.

Thanks
Formerly His:'09 335 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
MichaelP
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Msport

Have you checked your valve cover and pvc? I was having a rough idle and occasional smoking and the culprit was a cracked valve cover
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Reset adaptions (id include throttle) and see if anything changes. Can you log event?

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0