F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > N20 320xi Catted downpipe w/ stock exhaust
proTUNING Freaks

08-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
mattryann14
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i xDrive

N20 320xi Catted downpipe w/ stock exhaust

Anybody on here running a catted downpipe on their N20 with stock exhaust? been doing some research on catted and catless downpipes. definitely want to go with catted so i can still be road legal. doesnt look like a huge difference in gains between catted and catless. i am just curious as to how your power gains are, and if it's ok to run with a stock exhaust. thanks in advance. also running a stage 1 BMS tuner and an injen intake if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport

you probably won't "feel" much of a gain with the down pipe. It will definitely be louder. The HP gain will definitely be there but not significant enough unless you get flashed tuned as opposed to plug in. To my knowledge, I don't know of any of the f30 328's in the area who have a similar setup as you would like. Most of the n20/26 owners just throw in exhaust, tune, intake. The downpipe (especially catted) is so expensive for what gains we get in return.

If you really want to feel gains, get the downpipe, upgraded intercooler, chargepipe all installed at once then test it if you "feel" a difference"

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

My setup puts me around a 328i these days, but I pulled the JB4 for now. Stock exhaust but I'll be doing a muffler delete with dual pipes out the back end shortly. A catless DP will gain roughly 25hp with that alone, but tbh, on a 320i it's embarrassing for sound on a stock exhaust. Seriously, it's that bad, lol. Ends up sounding like a tired diesel on startup and running with a stock exhaust. I wouldn't do it unless you're going to be swapping the exhaust out for an aftermarket one or a muffler delete.
Appreciate 0