E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 cam bearing ledge problems

08-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
N52 cam bearing ledge problems

A co-worker owns a 2007 328i, the car has about 100k miles. Recently she needed a couple grand in work done to the engine. She showed me the paperwork and it detailed camshaft bearing work.

From my research, it seems this was the N52 cam bearing ledge problem where grooves are created in the head, causing a loss of oil pressure and VANOS problems.

My questions are:

1. How common is this problem?

2. Research seems to indicate it was fixed by late 2008. Is this true? How was the problem fixed?

3. Would running a thicker grade of oil (0w40 vs. 5w30) make a difference?

Thanks!

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Poor maintenance imo. Not a common problem.
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      09-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
A co-worker owns a 2007 328i, the car has about 100k miles. Recently she needed a couple grand in work done to the engine. She showed me the paperwork and it detailed camshaft bearing work.

From my research, it seems this was the N52 cam bearing ledge problem where grooves are created in the head, causing a loss of oil pressure and VANOS problems.

My questions are:

1. How common is this problem? This occurred on my car.. Dealership replaced under a TSB when it was under warranty. They did say that the metal BMW used was too soft.

2. Research seems to indicate it was fixed by late 2008. Is this true? How was the problem fixed?

3. Would running a thicker grade of oil (0w40 vs. 5w30) make a difference?

Thanks!
1. How common is this problem? This occurred on my car.. Dealership replaced under a TSB when it was under warranty. IIRC, mileage was roughly 60k They did say that the metal BMW used was too soft.
      09-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman311 View Post
1. How common is this problem? This occurred on my car.. Dealership replaced under a TSB when it was under warranty. IIRC, mileage was roughly 60k They did say that the metal BMW used was too soft.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

My coworker takes very good of her car, it has always been dealer serviced since new at the specified intervals.

Seems like one of those strange hit or miss issues like the head bolts breaking. Also an issue that seems to be a problem on mostly the earlier cars.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0