E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Getting inlets soon need help!

09-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
Gnars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Getting inlets soon need help!

So my main question is, is it really worth it to do the relocated inlets vs stock location inlets? Is there a significant power increase/ flow increase by doing the passenger side inlets? Whichever option I end up going with I will get a shop to install them and if the relocated inlets only net a 5hp gain or so I just don't see any justification paying hundreds more on install for a relocation kit. Also is one better for stock turbos or hybrid turbos? I eventually plan on getting upgraded twins.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well they typically come in two different sizes, so yeah, you better figure that out now to avoid buying twice.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
RCOLEMAN545
Liberty or Death
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnars View Post
So my main question is, is it really worth it to do the relocated inlets vs stock location inlets? Is there a significant power increase/ flow increase by doing the passenger side inlets? Whichever option I end up going with I will get a shop to install them and if the relocated inlets only net a 5hp gain or so I just don't see any justification paying hundreds more on install for a relocation kit. Also is one better for stock turbos or hybrid turbos? I eventually plan on getting upgraded twins.
I have stock turbos, and went with the 2 inch MMP stock location inlets. I will upgrade turbos once my stock snails die. Fitment is fine.

2007 E90 BMW 335i - Sold
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Gnars
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Well they typically come in two different sizes, so yeah, you better figure that out now to avoid buying twice.
Thanks for the reply but I know they're different sizes and the 2" will fit on stock turbos I'm mainly asking is there more of an advantage of relocated or stock location inlets.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Gnars
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCOLEMAN545 View Post
Quote:
I have stock turbos, and went with the 2 inch MMP stock location inlets. I will upgrade turbos once my stock snails die. Fitment is fine.
How much power did you gain from the stock location inlets? I was also thinking of going with mmp
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
How much power did you gain from the stock location inlets? I was also thinking of going with mmp
It depends on what's done to the car now and what changes you make in the tune.

Our most popular inlets are VRSF and VTT (one of the originals).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Gnars
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
It depends on what's done to the car now and what changes you make in the tune.

Our most popular inlets are VRSF and VTT (one of the originals).
Will I need a actual custom tune to get the most out of these or will the jb4 mhd backend flash be okay?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
You can play with the map 6 on jb4 less tapper in high rpm
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #9
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have any issue with the MMPs backing off the rear turbo? I have RBs and the seem to be sliding off the rear turbo as I have seen others comment about..

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My torque figures increase Ltd from 417 to 477 with catted DPs and inlets. HP increases less dramatically, but I wasn't holding boost due to a leak.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #11
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Sliding off the rear turbo is normally an install issue. Make sure it's all clean, put that sucker on like you mean it and tighten it down like you mean it. If done correctly, it's pretty darn solid. Now I can't talk for other competitors products but I'm *pretty sure* the same thing goes for theirs as well.

Chris
Appreciate 1