THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB QQ on crush washers

09-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
bowhun2r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22/B58 M240xi

QQ on crush washers

Hi guys,

Just turned over a little over 2k and I plan on doing an oil swap. In fact, UPS just dropped off my ECS oil service kit. I bought the kit with the magnetic (comes with a crush washer) drain plug as well as the aluminum filter housing and BMW oil and filter.

This will be my first B58 change but I've done my own oil changes on all my other vehicles over the past few decades.

Here is my QQ. The oil filter (see pic) came with two crush washers. I get that one of them is meant for the drain plug, but is the other just an extra in this kit? I'm assuming there isn't any type of crush washer used in the filter area. Looks very similar to my 4Runner oil cartridge. I've yet to pull the cartridge from the engine. Just kinda threw me seeing two crush washers when I was expecting just one.

TIA
Attached Images

Sold - 2017 M240xi Mineral White, HK, OEMConcept 437M wheels, Curtis hitch for bike rack, MPE, Painted rear diffuser, Dinan Elite Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

yeah, just uses one copper crush washer.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
bowhun2r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22/B58 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
yeah, just uses one copper crush washer.
Thanks for the fast response!

Just finished the oil change. It's not too bad. Definitely need a wobble socket extension to get the filter housing off.

The ECS aluminum cap screws on way easier. There is a slight difference between OEM and the ECS cap. The inside of the cap is slightly different (see pics). The OEM fits inside the filter whereas the ECS fits outside the filter.

No leaks. Put in 6.8ish quarts and got a max level reading from the electronic dip stick...
Attached Images

Sold - 2017 M240xi Mineral White, HK, OEMConcept 437M wheels, Curtis hitch for bike rack, MPE, Painted rear diffuser, Dinan Elite Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

see if FCP Euro carries the oil and filters. If they do, you can return your old oil and filter for a full refund.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1