E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Power loss after changing vacuum hoses..possibly

09-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Power loss after changing vacuum hoses..possibly

I'd be greatful for some help looking at some datalogs from those with experience.

Some background.
I have a custom tune from Pro Tuning Freaks for my COBB AP V3. Car was running great although somewhat laggy and really kicking in the power in sudden bursts. It was about three years ago I got the tune and been happy ever since, the aim was not insane power but instead reach about 380-390 BHP.

Two weeks ago I changed all the vacuum hoses to Verocious 3.5mm silicone braided. AFter that the car has not felt as powerful but more stable and predictive in it's power delivery. I don't get this sudden "kick in the back" when the car suddenly accelerates but it does not feel as powerful as before.

Now, I should mention that I don't hear the turbos spin as clearly as I did before and I don't get a "swooshing" sound anymore when accelerating moderately at lower RPM:s. Worth mentioning here is that while installing the vacuum lines I had to remove the aFe Airbox and I noticed that it wasn't expecially tightly secured to the inlets so I made sure to making it tighter this time. So maybe that's why I don't hear so much turbo spooling or swooshing? Could maybe even be a good thing.

Anyway, I have 3 logs for 3rd gear pulls, if anyone has the time to quickly glance through them and see if anything obvious sticks out I'd be most grateful.

I put them on datazap:
http://datazap.me/u/fedorov/2017-09-18?log=0&data=3-15

Last edited by Fedorov; 09-18-2017 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I'd be greatful for some help looking at some datalogs from those with experience.

Some background.
I have a custom tune from Pro Tuning Freaks for my COBB AP V3. Car was running great although somewhat laggy and really kicking in the power in sudden bursts. It was about three years ago I got the tune and been happy ever since, the aim was not insane power but instead reach about 380-390 BHP.

Two weeks ago I changed all the vacuum hoses to Verocious 3.5mm silicone braided. AFter that the car has not felt as powerful but more stable and predictive in it's power delivery. I don't get this sudden "kick in the back" when the car suddenly accelerates but it does not feel as powerful as before.

Now, I should mention that I don't hear the turbos spin as clearly as I did before and I don't get a "swooshing" sound anymore when accelerating moderately at lower RPM:s. Worth mentioning here is that while installing the vacuum lines I had to remove the aFe Airbox and I noticed that it wasn't expecially tightly secured to the inlets so I made sure to making it tighter this time. So maybe that's why I don't hear so much turbo spooling or swooshing? Could maybe even be a good thing.

Anyway, I have 3 logs for 3rd gear pulls, if anyone has the time to quickly glance through them and see if anything obvious sticks out I'd be most grateful. And sorry about appending them as text-files. I tried uploading them to datazap which was no problem for me 3 years ago but now datazap screws up the column by compressing some of them into one and leaving some totally out...
It would be interesting to see if you could go back over all the vacuum lines to see if everything is connected and your DV/blow off valve are working properly. Also, your logs should sho you request and actual boost as well as requested and actual load. Are these numbers close?? It seems to me that when you go WOT, boost should chase request for almost one second, then the two are generally supposed to be running in parallel, with actual just beneath request..

What do your numbers look like. Using mobile app and can't "see" your data.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:15 AM   #3
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
It would be interesting to see if you could go back over all the vacuum lines to see if everything is connected and your DV/blow off valve are working properly. Also, your logs should sho you request and actual boost as well as requested and actual load. Are these numbers close?? It seems to me that when you go WOT, boost should chase request for almost one second, then the two are generally supposed to be running in parallel, with actual just beneath request..

What do your numbers look like. Using mobile app and can't "see" your data.
Thanks for chiming in, I managed to upload the logs on datazap The link is now in the first post.

Last edited by Fedorov; 09-18-2017 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in, I managed to upload the logs on datazap The link is now in the first post.
Seems like the vacuum lines to electric solenoid that pulls the WG could've been left out, leaving one of the turbos WG open (means no boost almost)

they're called pressure converters I think, look them up on realoem for exact location
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
Seems like the vacuum lines to electric solenoid that pulls the WG could've been left out, leaving one of the turbos WG open (means no boost almost)

they're called pressure converters I think, look them up on realoem for exact location
Is that thing any of those that have the number 14 and 4 pointing to it on this picture? (With a short green line and short red line painted on them?)

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post

Is that thing any of those that have the number 14 and 4 pointing to it on this picture? (With a short green line and short red line painted on them?)

those are pressure converters aka boost solenoids made by Pierburg which is OE
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

correct - they control wg
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Really appreciate the answers, will check all hoses this weekend.

One more question: does anyone know if the nipple in the turbos point downward or upward? In the picture it sort of looks as if the nipples point upwards but I remember the front turbo nipple to point downwards as in that you push the hose upward to put into onto the nipple, same more or less with the rear turbo.

I guess my question is that if there is anything else on the turbos that looks like a nipple that you might accidentally install the hose on..?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov

One more question: does anyone know if the nipple in the turbos point downward or upward? In the picture it sort of looks as if the nipples point upwards but I remember the front turbo nipple to point downwards as in that you push the hose upward to put into onto the nipple, same more or less with the rear turbo.

I guess my question is that if there is anything else on the turbos that looks like a nipple that you might accidentally install the hose on..?
pics I've saved from e90post to help me get a better understanding visually.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

One more thing to check (not sure how old your turbos are) on older actuators is the WG should fully close at 6 mmHG if I remember correctly.. take a vaccum pressure guage and connect to actuator, then pull vaccum to spec and see if WG closes completely, if not you might need to calibrate the actuator arm .. there's plenty of info on this on N54tech.com .. goodluck brother
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Turbos are stock on a 07 model. Never had any problems until I installed the new hoses.

Sure am hoping it's something easy and obvious as in some hose put on the wrong nipple or something.

I'll know tomorrow hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ok, I've double checked and I don't think I installed anything incorrectly which is good.

One thing I noticed though is that on my car the hoses from the vacuum accumulators that go to the pressure converters went to the opposite converter as compared to this diagram:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrol/2T4ydoYw

However, I don't know it this matters at all? I'm 99.8% sure that I installed the hoses exactly as they were because I did one hose at a time, also on a picture from a DIY the guy had the hoses connected exactly as I did...

Anyway, I switched the hoses from the accumulators to be as in the diagram and took the car for a good ride. I couldn't feel any difference. Car still feels pretty powerful, escpecially in 2nd, but weaker in 3rd but more predictable and smooth than before..

Maybe somehing actually became better with the new hoses and now power is delivered as it should instead of the sudden, fairly unpredictable, kick in the back that it delivered before... Maybe I should just go back to the tuner and ask them to increase the power a little bit more power..

Oh, almost forgot, PTF had the chance to look at my logs and say that "log looks great, no issues we can see. Boost, timing and fueling are all looking on point".

So maybe I'm just worrying in vain. Super big thanks to you guys chiming in, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0