ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW Z4 3.0i

What Now...? Sensors

I bought a used 2003 bmw z4 roadster with the 3.0i and am extremely happy about it...love it in fact.

it seems that whomever had it before me put on 245 40 18's in the back and replace all the tires with non-runflats... which I would have done anyway.
Today I bought 255 35 18's (which the tire place told me is stock size for that vehicle, and I confirmed with tirrack.com) the only problem is now my tire pressure light is on and I dont know what to do...

what is the next step? how come this light was not on before when the previous owner removed the run-flats?
      05-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Its on, as the car has sensed it is now riding differently! These are the old sensor types, not the 'fancy' ones that actually read air pressure.

Since you changed tires, its totally normal to have to reset the pressure system. The next time you for a drive, start the car and then hold down the (_!_) button until the light changes from red to orange. After that, just drive off. It will read the way the car drives now as normal, and in a few minutes the light will go off for good. (at least, until the next time the ride changes, whether due to air loss, a flat, or more new tires)

The system is operating as normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
DannyZ
Sergeant Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW Z4 3.0i

awesome...I'm out to try that right now.
      05-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

I think the old system is called FTM and the new one is TPM. The old system (FTM) does not actually measure tire pressure at all. It measures the rotational speed of the tires and, if the rotation speed changes as it would if it were losing air, the warning light goes on. So any time you change wheels or tires you should reset the FTM system.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
dakenny
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5 E85 2003

FTM Red Light

I'm driving a Z4 2.5 2003. I have my FTM light in Red color. I turn the key to second(still engine off) then press and hold the (_!_) for more than 10seconds and light is still in red color.

I have checked the tire pressure and the pressure is balance, also I inflate the tire base on the given table on the side of the door.
Appreciate 0