E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Coils: PrecisionRaceworks VS Bimmerlife

09-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
OriginalRecipe7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Coils: PrecisionRaceworks VS Bimmerlife

I recently went single turbo and before I start trying for higher boost numbers I would like to upgrade my ignition system. Thus far I have been unable to find good information on the pros and cons for either of the coil conversions. So now I'm here, hoping some of you guys can weigh in.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I have PRW's coils and am so far pretty happy with them.

Construction is pretty good. The base is a fairly thick piece of stamped aluminum, paint was even and hasn't shown any signs of wear. The coil bodies are made of glass reinforced nylon(not sure of glass %). The included wireset uses 8mm wires with silicone insulation/boots. PRW really didn't skip on quality with this one.

Performance has been outstanding. I was having a WOT misfire/low power before I threw the coils in (MHD e40 with new oem plugs). The misfire went away immediately after installation, and I'm still running those same plugs, now on 100% e85(23psi)and haven't had a misfire yet. My cold start problem also went away, until I started using full e85.

Installation isn't too difficult, and being GM coils they should have excellent longevity. My only pet peeve is how the engine cover sits, it's not completely flush so you have to push it down to take off the oil cap. I tried cutting away some insulation, but it made little difference.

Can't say much about BL's coils, they look pretty nice though.
Appreciate 1