E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Perspective is useless...

03-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Perspective is useless...

Why does perspective mode on the navigation suck? It looks great and all, but it doesn't show street names or any geographical identifiers. I've seen other navigations, eg. Infiniti M45, and the perspective modes are impressive. So when I found out we had that option, I was VERY excited. I guess I counted my chickens...anyone else feel the same way?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I am happy with Business navigation that displays arrows and the lady gives verbal instructions in plenty of time.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Personally Im glad it isnt cluttered with names and everything else (Especially here in Europe.) I use perspective mode when I just want to have a graphical depiction of exactly when to turn, if Im on my route I could care less about street names.

Also, anyone else think that the nav voice sounds better when she is speaking a different language? (i.e. Spanish)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #4
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

I'm with Kamando on this. Perspective mode is great if you need confirmation of which exit to choose on a complex junction.

My old nav (the Radio-Nav unit of old) would just give a turn left symbol and the instruction "In 100yds, take the second left hand turning". Trying to decipher that and relate it to the actual junction layout, whilst assessing other the traffics intentions, on a complex unfamiliar junction, is something I could do without.

With perspective, the layout of the junction from your point of view is crystal clear, allowing you to concentrate on the traffic situation.

I only use "Perspective" mode when I am following intricate directions. On the open road I use "North Orientated". It's easy enough to flip between them with voice commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
I am happy with Business navigation that displays arrows and the lady gives verbal instructions in plenty of time.
I found that Nav directions are not flawless, they can take you a long way around from time to time. I like to keep a reality check on things. Hence my going for the full moving map solutuion this time. I have still seen the Pro nav do a couple of 'silly' things, but far less than the Radio-Nav.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

i got my car yesterday, and i agree with the OP that perspective is useless. has anyone found any way for it to display street names?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I actually prefer the perspective mode. Sure it doesn't have the street name, but it gives a better representation of what the road ahead will look like. When I am using the navigation, I use "perspective" in the main window and "arrow display" in the assist window.

Even though the street name isn't visible on the map, the other screen will show the name of the street where I will make the turn and even give a countdown in miles, then feet before I get to the street.

I have tried the modes that include street names, and the screen is too cluttered to be truly useful while driving. Though, this may not be an issue for those who live in less densely populated areas.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD
I actually prefer the perspective mode. Sure it doesn't have the street name, but it gives a better representation of what the road ahead will look like. When I am using the navigation, I use "perspective" in the main window and "arrow display" in the assist window.

Even though the street name isn't visible on the map, the other screen will show the name of the street where I will make the turn and even give a countdown in miles, then feet before I get to the street.

I have tried the modes that include street names, and the screen is too cluttered to be truly useful while driving. Though, this may not be an issue for those who live in less densely populated areas.
Second. When using navigation and getting directions, I prefer perspective mode as well. It makes it easier to look at the screen, then look at the real world and see exactly where you are going to turn. Who cares about the name of the road (that's the beauty of navigation)?

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0