E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 100k maintenance items 2011 328i

09-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
captainbutterbal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I 2015 X5

100k maintenance items 2011 328i

My DD is a 2011 n51 328i sedan, my 100k warranty just ended a few months ago. The car is at 110k now I'm just wonder if anyone has anything else they recommend not on my list.

My Service records for my last 50k

Spark plugs and coils change at 55k
intake silencer and some hoses replaced 70k
valve cover gasket changes at 80k
Oil pan gasket 99k
oil filter gasket 99k
My brakes were at 7mm front and 6mm rear 99k

What I have done done so far.
Water pump thermostat
Transmission filter - The filter/fluid looked pretty bad.
Rear diff fluid- didn't look good either.
Flush the power steering.

What I'm considering within the next 10k0
Spark plugs
Idler pulley, belt tensioner belt.
air filters while i'm doing those.
Venos?
Brakes I heard you have to replace the rotors for bmws for every brake change so Rotors too.
Struts?

My job requires me to drive 500-1000 miles though deserts all the time so preventive maintenance is kinda important. I rather change everything now rather than pay a dealership while I'm stuck in another state.

The car is running just fine, only thing I notice is a squeak when i'm turning at slow speed/stop. I think it's something rubber in the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Sounds like you are ahead of the game with preventative maintenance. I drive through a lot of rural areas also, so I'd rather be on top of stuff than have a break down.

As far as your list, I would definitely change the spark plugs. The air filter and cabin air filter could probably be changed depending on how dirty they are (you did say you drive in the desert).

The idler pulley and tensioner/belt is a BIG one that definitely needs to be done. If the tensioner fails, the belt could shred and get sucked into the engine through the crank pulley, which creates a huge mess and potential for engine failure.

The Vanos solenoids I would leave alone unless your car starts running rough or having driveability problems. The brakes I would wait until the sensor comes on or until the pads are worn down. Once the pads are worn I would replace the rotors and pads at the same time so you don't have to go back in there.

Some other things that might pop-up at that mileage but aren't really maintenance:

-starters can go around 100k
-front control arms can start to vibrate at highway speeds

As far as the squeak: Is it more speed related (rotational) or does it happen when you apply the brakes?

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

What about the rest of the Lifetime fluids or did I miss that.
Radiator , Diff , Transfer case, power steering.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
What about the rest of the Lifetime fluids or did I miss that.
Radiator , Diff , Transfer case, power steering.
Yeah, if it is an X-Drive make sure you do the transfer case (I figure by his profile it was a RWD car).

Also the differential and power steering fluid is important. The power steering has a filter inside the reservoir. In order to change the filter you have to replace the whole reservoir.

I assume the coolant was changed when you did the water pump. If it has been awhile, might be a good idea to change that as well.

How old is your battery?

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
captainbutterbal
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Sounds like you are ahead of the game with preventative maintenance. I drive through a lot of rural areas also, so I'd rather be on top of stuff than have a break down.

As far as your list, I would definitely change the spark plugs. The air filter and cabin air filter could probably be changed depending on how dirty they are (you did say you drive in the desert).

The idler pulley and tensioner/belt is a BIG one that definitely needs to be done. If the tensioner fails, the belt could shred and get sucked into the engine through the crank pulley, which creates a huge mess and potential for engine failure.

The Vanos solenoids I would leave alone unless your car starts running rough or having driveability problems. The brakes I would wait until the sensor comes on or until the pads are worn down. Once the pads are worn I would replace the rotors and pads at the same time so you don't have to go back in there.

Some other things that might pop-up at that mileage but aren't really maintenance:

-starters can go around 100k
-front control arms can start to vibrate at highway speeds

As far as the squeak: Is it more speed related (rotational) or does it happen when you apply the brakes?
I did not know about the control arms and starter, thanks for the advice. Yeah i don't actually know how a Vanos work so I don't know if I should even touch it.

I personally do not trust the brake senors, while I was checking over my service histor and the senors have been replaced 3 times for not sensing the brake thickness.

The squeak only happens when I'm very slow/still IE pulling out of a parking spot. I think it's the strut/spring mounts.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
captainbutterbal
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yeah, if it is an X-Drive make sure you do the transfer case (I figure by his profile it was a RWD car).

Also the differential and power steering fluid is important. The power steering has a filter inside the reservoir. In order to change the filter you have to replace the whole reservoir.

I assume the coolant was changed when you did the water pump. If it has been awhile, might be a good idea to change that as well.

How old is your battery?
The car is rwd so no transfer case, the coolants were flushed when i did the pump that was just earlier this year.

....I can't believe I forgot about the battery, I should check on that. I keep forgetting it's in the trunk. I don't even know how old it is.

Last edited by captainbutterbal; 09-24-2017 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbutterbal View Post
The car is rwd so no transfer case, the coolants were flushed when i did the pump that was just earlier this year.

....I can't believe I forgot about the battery, I should check on that. I keep forgetting it's in the trunk. I don't even know how old it is.
If it makes you feel better, I just replaced my factory original battery.. from 2008. And not because it died, but because it lived so long I didn't trust it. I guess BMW really nailed the intelligent charging thing.

Also since you're N51, you could check on your DISA valves every once in a while. Rare that they break but it's happened.
Appreciate 0