E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Avin Unit Install tips and tricks

09-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Avin Unit Install tips and tricks

Many of us on the D Facebook page have been enthralled lately with the Avin screen unit replacement for our vehicles, but it hasnt really made the transition to e90post. One of the things that has been done over there, but not here is install instructions, links, and the like.... This weekend I installed mine and scrolled a half dozen times to find the right document on installation and tips and tricks....I got frustrated and gave up, so I want to start one here. Please contribute your tips, tricks, questions on install..

This is NOT intended to be a "What is this device? What does it do? Does it work with OEM controls?" thread. If you would like one of those, please create it.... We covered that a couple dozen times on FB. A quick google/youtube search will tell you most of what you want to know.

Heres my contribution for e70 X5d install:

The aux wire run:
-pull out the small plastic surround that holds your USB and Aux port in the console under your arm...remove the connections so you can take it out. Drill a hole in the bottom side of the ledge to run the wire through..it will be nearly invisible. ( you will understand when you have it out.
- remove the frame around your shifter and the idrive controller, this is easily done with a panel tool and a little tape to protect your trim. Start in the front right corner and work around.
- This is as far forward as you will go in the console, I was not able to find a path through the cupholder area that was easily accessible.
- run your wire down through the carpet edge on passenger side with a fish tape or hanger. Decently easy. Then tuck it along the carpet joint up to the console.
- with the HVAC panels out, you can run the wire right up into a small hole in the bottom right. Completely unseen.

This is REQUIRED to get audio from the Avin Unit into the car.

USB wiring:
- Very very simple, there is a small plastic square knockout in the glove compartment on the left side. I originally thought it was a clip holding the thing in place, its not....just run your USB line through there and you are golden.

Last edited by OmahaDZL; 09-25-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
viatche
ITZ DZL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
On my 335d with out Logic 7 if iDrive here is what I found:

Setup/removal: someone has a video on youtube.

The whole process worked better for me with the car shut off, parking break on, with transmission in drive.

Remove the lower unit, the climate control unit (CCU), starting with a trim tool on the right side to free up the unit. Unclip the two connectors on the back of the CCU, remove the trim surrounding the unit, set trim aside for disposal and retain the CCU for reuse.

Unscrew, philips head, 2 screws holding the radio in at the bottom of the radio. Pull the unit forward. There are two connectors on the back, one multi cable unit that requires a lever type action for removal. The other one is the radio cable, that has a swival nut with a levered lock on the side of the connector. You must put the small black lever on the pink/purple connector to free it up.

Remove the black plastic housing inside your dash that held the old radio and CCU. This is done by removing 4 philips head screws and 2 silver bolts. I took me a swival arm for my sockets to break this free. But relatively simple work once I figured it out, thanks FB group!

Install the silver mounting bracket on the lower portion of your dash opening. Now this may require some force, but it easy to manipulate. Make sure your tabs on the back side are inside the opening or you will bend one or sit there trying to figure it out for a while like I did. Secure the bracket to the dash with two of the screws you removed earlier. Fish your ccu lines thru the opening in the panel.

Install the new radio connector on to the factory connection. For a basic install, your Avin unit will only require 2 connections to work, the harness and the pink/purple radio. Slid the Avin Radio into the upper cavity, ensuring that the lower tabs on the radio are in the proper place on the top of the mounting bracket in place and screw it with the two long screws provided in your shipment. This secures your Avin head unit to the dash. You can cover the screws with the two provided caps if no other work is required.

Install the CCU by reconnecting the two connectors to the back, install the smaller trim panel and pressure/tension fit the CCU under the head unit.

Return the car to Park and cycle the start button to test.
      10-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
There has been threads about thsese devices on the forums. The thing is it’s sold by a lot of different companies besides Avin. Avin, etc are retailers of these units but as far as I can tell it’s all made by 1 Chinese company.

look for yokotron, eonon, etc. there are a bunch of different names these units sell under.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
There has been threads about thsese devices on the forums. The thing is it’s sold by a lot of different companies besides Avin. Avin, etc are retailers of these units but as far as I can tell it’s all made by 1 Chinese company.

look for yokotron, eonon, etc. there are a bunch of different names these units sell under.
That is correct, however many of us bought this unit specifically through a special purchase.

I read through the first 20 pages of the F30 forum thread

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1374452

That spawned another page on XDA forum that is more technical in the Android mod area.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...eries-t3673558

To be honest, I havent spent NEARLY as much time on this to get it working like I want/expect. I need to take some time and get the features working...like Android Auto and screen mirroring. Has anyone gotten that to work with their Android phone?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
jrp73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Many of us on the D Facebook page have been enthralled lately with the Avin screen unit replacement for our vehicles, but it hasnt really made the transition to e90post. One of the things that has been done over there, but not here is install instructions, links, and the like.... This weekend I installed mine and scrolled a half dozen times to find the right document on installation and tips and tricks....I got frustrated and gave up, so I want to start one here. Please contribute your tips, tricks, questions on install..

This is NOT intended to be a "What is this device? What does it do? Does it work with OEM controls?" thread. If you would like one of those, please create it.... We covered that a couple dozen times on FB. A quick google/youtube search will tell you most of what you want to know.

Heres my contribution for e70 X5d install:

The aux wire run:
-pull out the small plastic surround that holds your USB and Aux port in the console under your arm...remove the connections so you can take it out. Drill a hole in the bottom side of the ledge to run the wire through..it will be nearly invisible. ( you will understand when you have it out.
- remove the frame around your shifter and the idrive controller, this is easily done with a panel tool and a little tape to protect your trim. Start in the front right corner and work around.
- This is as far forward as you will go in the console, I was not able to find a path through the cupholder area that was easily accessible.
- run your wire down through the carpet edge on passenger side with a fish tape or hanger. Decently easy. Then tuck it along the carpet joint up to the console.
- with the HVAC panels out, you can run the wire right up into a small hole in the bottom right. Completely unseen.

This is REQUIRED to get audio from the Avin Unit into the car.

USB wiring:
- Very very simple, there is a small plastic square knockout in the glove compartment on the left side. I originally thought it was a clip holding the thing in place, its not....just run your USB line through there and you are golden.
Hi mate - do you have a link to the Facebook page you were referring to? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespheely View Post
Hi mate - do you have a link to the Facebook page you were referring to? Thanks
Look up nabdog