E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > [Help] N54 Several Maintenance Items At Once

09-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
mehr
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

[Help] N54 Several Maintenance Items At Once

Hey everyone,
Planning to do several DIYs on my 335i at once, currently sitting at around 85k miles.
In particular, I will be doing the following:
-OFHG
-OFCG
-VC and VCG (+Rob's PCV valve)
-Coils & Plugs
-Water Pump/Thermostat
-Belts/Tensioner/Pulleys
-Vaccum Lines

Was hoping to get some tips to do these in an efficient manner, i.e. what general procedures to follow, what should be done before another task, etc.

Also looking for complementary advice when performing these maintenance items, for example I will clean the vanos solenoids as it will be easy to access.

I have the 6MT (2007 if that matters) which I've read comes with the oil cooler. I know some procedures for the OFHG/OFCG might be slightly different for cars equipped with the oil cooler. Not sure if and how this impacts the order to follow when addressing the other times.

Looking forward to having her purr stronger than ever

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Well you are basically addressing everything that is wrong with these car's so you're definitely on the right track.

Since you are doing all that work and taking things apart, I would recommend you get in the valves and clean off any carbon deposits.

Remove the fan for easy access, and don't forget to replace the oil line washers that connect to the oil filter housing.

There is another thread on here where there is some discussion in regards to the OFHG and using additional permatex gasket maker in order to avoid having leaks in the near future. It may be worth looking into.

Get a torque wrench.

When you disconnect the PCV hose from the back of the valve cover, spray some brake cleaner in the hose valve and clean out any oil gunk that may have been accumulating.

Have penetrating oil at hand in case one of your spark plugs is seized. Spray in the hole and let it sit for 15min, it will come out easy.

Did I mention to get a torque wrench, and torque the VC to specs along with everything else.

Disconnect your battery when taking apart fuel lines, you do not want fuel spraying everywhere, especially your eyes! Even with battery disconnected there will be pressure in the fuel lines, put a towel around one of the lines and unscrew slowly until all pressure is released.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 09-27-2017 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
mehr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

When you disconnect the PCV hose from the back of the valve cover, spray some brake cleaner in the hose valve and clean out any oil gunk that may have been accumulating.
Will I need to do this if I'm replacing the PCV valve with Rob's? Is there a separate valve or should I be cleaning the hose itself as well?
Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehr View Post
Will I need to do this if I'm replacing the PCV valve with Rob's? Is there a separate valve or should I be cleaning the hose itself as well?
Thanks for your help!
So the pcv valve sits in the red circle on the cover.

Name:  bb.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  20.7 KB

The vent hose, #9, attaches next to the pcv valve. You can't miss it.
Part is not that expensive. You could replace it or just clean it out.

Name:  a.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  22.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
mehr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
So the pcv valve sits in the red circle on the cover.

Attachment 1696752

The vent hose, #9, attaches next to the pcv valve. You can't miss it.
Part is not that expensive. You could replace it or just clean it out.

Attachment 1696753

Awesome! Ordered the valve, will try to source the hose as well and if not I'll definitely clean it.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0