E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Anyone had success with the emissions recalls at dealer?

09-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Anyone had success with the emissions recalls at dealer?

So has anyone taken their car in to the dealer and had them diagnose your SES and subsequently determine the emissions recalls were the needed repair(s)?

My car has had the DEF tank repaired under warranty probably 15k miles ago and I've had the SCR metering valve replaced maybe 5k ago. Hadn't had a SES light in quite a while, but then came on again today, presumably just the random P20ee light.

I'm taking the car in for the airbag recall in a couple of weeks. I'm curious if I have them take a look if they are going to run me through the ropes and charge me for a bunch of diagnosis, tell me that I have to replace the SCR valve first (had an indy do that) and generally insist on following their repair path at my cost until they actually get to one of the items on the recall. I frankly think next step on my car would be the NOX sensors, but since I'm not throwing that specific code I'm going to guess they won't replace under warranty.

Anyone had straight service on this issue from the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
koden
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I took mine in to Portland BMW for the passive tank sensor code. I got the major run around. They charged me $150 for diagnostics to figure out what was wrong. They wanted me to pay to put a new pump in the def tank because it is not covered under warranty and they had the tank out already. It was over $600 for the pump. I said no way. They wanted to do a CBU cleaning at $2500. I said no. I'll wait until it throws a code or it starts running rough then take it to an indy (is there a good one in the Portland area?) or do it myself.

In the end I had them do an oil change, new fuel filter and cabin filter. That plus the diagnostic fee (which should have been covered under emissions warranty) was a little over $500. They did replace the tank under emissions warranty.

I wont go back there. I loved them when they were Rasmussen but it's no longer a pleasant experience (at lease with the service tech I was assigned to).
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnook View Post
I took mine in to Portland BMW for the passive tank sensor code. I got the major run around. They charged me $150 for diagnostics to figure out what was wrong. They wanted me to pay to put a new pump in the def tank because it is not covered under warranty and they had the tank out already. It was over $600 for the pump. I said no way. They wanted to do a CBU cleaning at $2500. I said no. I'll wait until it throws a code or it starts running rough then take it to an indy (is there a good one in the Portland area?) or do it myself.

In the end I had them do an oil change, new fuel filter and cabin filter. That plus the diagnostic fee (which should have been covered under emissions warranty) was a little over $500. They did replace the tank under emissions warranty.

I wont go back there. I loved them when they were Rasmussen but it's no longer a pleasant experience (at lease with the service tech I was assigned to).
Bmw will pay you back for the diag repair due to the extended warranty on the tank
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnook View Post

Taking my car to Kuni in Beaverton next week for the air bag recall, thought maybe I would have them look at the SES. I wonder if they will be as difficult to work with.

I know they offered to reimburse if you had an indy do the work, but going forward do they also offer to reimburse for indy work? Or is it basically now that it's a recall they have to do the work at a dealer? I need to reread the letter. My indy would do the NOX next based on their diagnostic route.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
daenosx
It's all about that....wooooooosh!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I just took mine in for the air bag recall, since I was also getting a DEF Active Tank Sensor failure....they replaced my SCR, with the extended warranty offered, and even filled up my DEF tank for free..lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by daenosx View Post
I just took mine in for the air bag recall, since I was also getting a DEF Active Tank Sensor failure....they replaced my SCR, with the extended warranty offered, and even filled up my DEF tank for free..lol
It is normally filled after replacing.... not because it's free but you wouldn't make it far being empty lol
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well bugger. It wasn't the same code. Getting P02D1 now. First time with this one. Of all the cars I've owned, this one throws the SES/CEL the most.

Guess I need to do some more research. Don't suppose this one is related to the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

My experience.

SES light came on on wife's '11 335D, ran the code reader and it says "Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor out of range." Took car to dealership and spoke to the service advisor about the issue, stated up front that I want them to determine what is wrong with the SES first, and if they confirm that it is in fact the temperature sensor in the urea tank, that if it's not covered under the extended urea tank warranty, or if it's not covered by the emissions warranty, I do not want work done there at the dealership.

Service advisor agreed and told me that they can't determine whether or not it will be warrantied until tech hook it up to their diagnostic machine, and they'll have to run the codes through a database to determine if the repairs will be covered. It's a $150 fee for diagnostics, if I don't have them fix it. If it's covered under warranty then there's no charge.

3 days later they called me to tell me it's covered, that they're ordering a new tank and it will take another week for it to arrive and be installed. So wifey slogged through 10 days of driving an F30 330i on BMW's dime.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
octalon7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
My experience.

SES light came on on wife's '11 335D, ran the code reader and it says "Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor out of range." Took car to dealership and spoke to the service advisor about the issue, stated up front that I want them to determine what is wrong with the SES first, and if they confirm that it is in fact the temperature sensor in the urea tank, that if it's not covered under the extended urea tank warranty, or if it's not covered by the emissions warranty, I do not want work done there at the dealership.

Service advisor agreed and told me that they can't determine whether or not it will be warrantied until tech hook it up to their diagnostic machine, and they'll have to run the codes through a database to determine if the repairs will be covered. It's a $150 fee for diagnostics, if I don't have them fix it. If it's covered under warranty then there's no charge.

3 days later they called me to tell me it's covered, that they're ordering a new tank and it will take another week for it to arrive and be installed. So wifey slogged through 10 days of driving an F30 330i on BMW's dime.
The hard part is some of the codes on these cars are so general it's impossible to pinpoint the right part. So the dealer could do the run around fixing parts that aren't covered before they get to a warrantied part. I'm not ready to shell out money for them to "guess"

I believe the code I have right now is for DDE, but my head is spinning trying to understand what that is.
Appreciate 0